Discussion Share some cringe stories~

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shizukani, Nov 30, 2020.

?

Do you have some cringe stories related to being an otaku?

1. Yes, too many to count.

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Nope, I keep to myself.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Maybe? I don't really notice.

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright! So my brain just suddenly reminded me of one cringe/embarrasing story that happened to me as someone who loves anime/novels/manga etc.

Weeb, otaku, geek, whatever you may call yourself. We know that sometimes some people don't understand our passion :blob_teary: Or maybe, we get carried away and share too much with a person from the bright side. :blobsleepless: So let's share some here! Get that out of your system! :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Anyway, my cringe story is (a rather sad one):

When I was in college, my crush and I hung out together one time (He was my friend but we were not close close it was more like we had a mutual friend). So, we got to chatting and long story short, we ended up talking about anime and stuff. And I got from our conversation that he liked some very general stuff (like maybe he watched some naruto or one piece etc) and he didn't really watch them much. But yeah he was a really kind person and he went with conversation (maybe I gushed about anime I don't remember anymore :blobwoah:). Anyway, after that, before we went home, (I had to leave) he said that I should recommend some stuff for him to watch and to send it to him through chat.

WHICH I DID. A WHOLE LIST OF IT.

Oh my goodness. And his reply was... ":)"

:blob_teary: That's it. :blobsad: I dunno if I'm thinking too much but for me I cringed so much about it afterwards and never mentioned it to him again (thankfully he didn't mention it either).

So yeah! Please share some too if you have one~ :blob_patpat:

2. CloudySkySadMoon

CloudySkySadMoon Bald and Beautiful

Reading List:
    Link
    Once, a lecturer in Uni asked everyone about our hobby. He asked what I was reading then after I said I like reading novels. I talked about CN, JN. He told me to recommend him something. I was so excited about it that I searched my reading list, found CN I thought was popular with boys back then and sent it to him with a looooooong message explaining what type of novel it was, why I am sending it to him etc.

This memory embarrasses me so much that I dare not go back to that chat box anymore.

PS: I originally said I read Asian novels like Chinese, Japanese. He was displeased because we live in Asia and my words sounded like our literature isn't Asian. I swear I meant to say East Asian novels...OTL

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    ShioriSai, otaku31 and Shizukani like this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing comes to mind.
    Selective amnesia still going strong.

Dryas, 1Sami, Almaa and 3 others like this.
  4. Syahmuda

Syahmuda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is having an anime merchandise cringe enough in normies eyes?

And, is arguing the difference betwen manga, manhwa, and manhua, also anime with cartoon to the other is cringe?

Because i keep my act moderate enough to judge myself having no cringe moment:blobawkward:.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Shizukani and Klazy Labbit like this.
  5. Donutts

Donutts Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At one point I started to realize that most people ask for recommendations just to keep the conversation going or for the sake of being polite, with no real intention to actually check them out. This applies for other things like music too, so I just keep most things to myself now. Because having things that I like being taken lightly is just a plain sad experience :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:

6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    My dad is a university professor. One time, when I was around college age or had recently graduated, he took me to a Christmas party one of the dorms was holding. I met and chatted the night away with a guy who also liked anime. We decided to meet up afterward for lunch, and I was so stoked to go on my first date. Found out at the very end of the “date” that he had a girlfriend. In humiliation, I avoided ever talking to him again, which made my dad mad, as it apparently hurt the guy’s feelings. Ironically, this was not the first time one of his students had invited me out and I thought it was a date, and it wasn’t. But the other guy was so cool and chill, and had been nice to me before, I forgave him. (Plus, it helped he mentioned his gf early on, leading to my misunderstanding not lasting as long.)

7. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds cringe af to be honest

CloudySkySadMoon and Shizukani like this.
  8. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was younger I was reading some pretty dark and intense manga. People would take my books and try to read them. Then they would opened the books to either find a person being ripped apart or a sex scene. It was awkward at first but after enough times I started telling people to be careful what they ask for. It later started to be funny to me.

This one person I met in mathematics class was talking to me about the manga they read. It got into incest, harems and other stuff. I noticed the professor was dropping stuff and flustered. We made eye contact and they looked away. Turns out that the professor had been listening in on our conversation. I felt bad for a little bit but I just went on with the conversation.

ShioriSai and Shizukani like this.
  9. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that most of the things I do are embarrassing? I can't really think of many things that I did and was embarrassed about. Something that I find quite funny even today, is me falling at gym around 2 years ago. But at the time I fell, I didn't really think too much about it since I didn't have much time until I had to leave so that I don't lose the bus. I scared everyone in my area of the gym though, it's a bit embarrassing but mostly funny.
    And I can't really think that the things that everyone did are embarrassing (everyone above me), maybe just the one who misunderstood that he/she was on a date

Shizukani likes this.
  10. HazyPrecise

HazyPrecise Heh

Reading List:
    Link
    Till date, I've only met one anime noob offline. He was my classmate. Could be said that he was the one who indirectly introduced me to anime.
    It all started with the talk if anime and cartoons are the same or not/
    He would gush about all the latest animes and manages he would have read. It wasn't cringy. He was quite passionate.
    Nothing cringy is coming to mind rn.
    Besides the only place, I unleash my otaku side is on the internet, under an alias (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

also some just ask for a recommendation, just to be polite...

Shizukani likes this.
  11. Klazy Labbit

Klazy Labbit Peko peko peko~

Reading List:
    Link
    I have lots of cringe stories and most of them involve me trying to explain and recommend stuff(anime,tv shows,vtubers,webnovels and all other cultured things) to people but here's a recent one. I usually go for a walk or a jog with my headphones on and get milk while returning and since I always get the same thing I don't talk to the shopkeeper but last week he was filling out a cheque and since he wasn't good at writing he asked me but since I was listening to songs I didn't hear him clearly.

Somehow I could understand what he was saying so I took the pen from his hand and began writing. He asked me to write his name on it and gave me a paper with his name in the local language. I read it but I was not concentrating so I wrote my own name and handed it to him. Regardless to say he was angry but he gave me another chance and I managed to write his name correctly but since I was feeling too self conscious I added an extra zero to the amount and I scratched it out.

After that he just told me to leave. I have been getting the milk from another booth since that day.

Shizukani likes this.
  12. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    *tako hugs*

Shizukani likes this.
  13. Klazy Labbit

Reading List:
    Link
    I get that feeling whenever I talk about stuff I like. All of my friends don't do anything I do. Whenever anybody asks me recommendations now and say they want 'try' it, I just shrug them off pretending I don't know much about it. I used to be enthusiastic before and wanted to let the whole world know but now I don't want anyone to know that I know.......

Its just painful talking to people who think watching Naruto is equal to being an anime fan and they don't even half the character's names. Speaking of music, they don't get music in other languages and immediately dismiss it. *sigh* being a cultured person is hard....

Donutts, ShioriSai and Shizukani like this.
  14. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was not wearing my glasses and I thought someone say hi to me.
    but its actually the guy beside me ._.)

Another one:
    I was in my friend apartment and i saw something unexpected.
    It was a dildo. and yes, my friend is a guy.

last one:
    Since then, i've been avoiding my gay friend.
    One unlucky afternoon, we met on a mall and invited me for coffee.
    He said something that makes me cringe till today.

"I missed you this whole week. Where have you been?"

Then he laughed his ass off and told me it was a joke.

But, my ass said otherwise.....

Shizukani likes this.
  15. Klazy Labbit

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah this shit happened to me in college....
    A girl was calling out to her friend asking if she was free but I thought she was addressing me so I said, "Yeah...I think I am free at 6?" and then the awkward silence set in and my friend broke it by laughing hard.

Shizukani likes this.
  16. CloudySkySadMoon

CloudySkySadMoon Bald and Beautiful

Reading List:
    Link
    (ToT)

Shizukani likes this.
  17. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont really have any cringe stories about this hobby

i like it, why should i be ashamed of that?

anyone who judges me for having a silly hobby is someone whose company is worthless to me

Shizukani likes this.
  18. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    bruh was and always will be in the closet
    i use to make fun of otakus and weebs and went home just to watch anime in secret

19. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This happened not to long ago but luckily I´ve been in asynchronous school because of covid so I´m having better luck at avoiding her. One of my friends asked me for a novel recommendation and since she doesn't usually read much I was very excited. I found a lighthearted one and sent her the link so she could read it and she actually did! You might not think that´s too bad but I´m getting to it. The link I sent her was the wrong one.....and that novel mentioned/described in great detail murder, suicide, rape, and other various inappropriate things that I did not want my friend to read. I realized later that same day but it was too late to recall the text...

20. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    Explaining slash fanfiction to my English teacher in high school. Oh boy, the memory keeps me up at night.