Discussion Should I read Goblin Slayer?

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Cosmic_, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've heard good things about Goblin Slayer, but extremely dark and realistic fantasy isn't my thing especially when the main characters suffer. I didn't like the despair in Re: Zero. This doesn't mean I'm don't like or don't read dark fantasy, it's just I look for a hopeful joy in the darkness or carefreeness despite the darkness or even an enjoy and become the darkness type of dark fantasy. I enjoy Overlord, Dungeon Defence, Ouroboros Record, and Death Mage. I liked the cute but dark in Demon Girl ~Tale of a Lax Demon~. I liked the OP, unstoppableness in both Overlord, DD, DM. I dropped a lot of apocalypses novels like Randidly Ghosthound, The New World, and Shovel In Spades due to drama, deaths, etc.

I'm not sure if I would quite say I'm faint of heart, but I certainly don't like permanent death, rape, or torture of characters I've grown to like. The only times I can take it is when the victims of the dark fantasy are side characters or when a dark event is handled in a brush-to-the-side light-heartedly or passing-comment style like the rape of some of the girls in their past life in Death Mage or when a character is killed and tortured, but they can be resurrected as an undead and have a strong will. I mostly read novels for the escapism, enjoyment, and sometimes wish-fulfillment. I connect with main characters and I place the value of a novel/anime/manga on the characters from their relationships to their humor to the romance, etc. I don't care much for novels that are only about struggle and action or focused on drama.

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I don't like mc that isn't destined for something big, I understand that he just wants to kill goblins but it's not my taste that mc would remain scrub forever. But the story is pretty good.

Zone Q11 and khanz113 like this.
  3. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I read up to the 4th or 5th light novel. And I thought it was extremely repetitive. Not only the goblin slayer doing his goblin slaying but also the side characters and their interactions as well. The series as a whole was a large let down for me, personally.

4. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it. Its awesome. While the mc suffers he recovers. Its good too. But its hardcore and not for the weak... only thing is that you can consider any side character can get a gruesome death

5. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a good manga, you should read it. At first all the mc wanted to do was kill all the goblins due to his past but after people join him he slowly changes. His desire to kill goblin is still intact but now he doesn't have tunnel vision that focused only on goblins but now friends who want to go on adventures with him too

6. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it's quite an enjoyable read for me.

7. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just reading it to see if ever the mc reveals his face, nothing else
    nevermind some artist showed his face
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Zone Q11 likes this.
  8. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    I say just read it, if you don't like it, then stop reading it.

9. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    Where can I find them...?