Discussion Should I restart some novels ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lucinia, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you looking for in a novel?

2. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    At least Mushoku kid ages. He's OP for a bit as a kid, but the adventure starts in his early teens and continues into the late teens. Then he actually settles down.

Gun otaku? You mean the one with the gun wielding harem? Yea, I don't read it.

Same for Hachinan. No read...

Let's just say that the author's idea of time to age seems incredibly messed up. Perfect World has a damn 3 year old that can pull a giant and heavy bow and kill adults. Close Combat Mage has a damn 10 year old using super magic a few months after going to school cause "reasons."

3. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    But at least the 3 year old acts like a kid (though he acts more like a 7/8 y/old then a 3 y/old)

4. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, PW is unreasonable, though I still enjoy it. CC is.... No comment. Gun Ota isn't that great either.

But on the other hand 9C is pretty reasonable. The reason he's strong is pretty well explained. He's just the strongest in a small village, and his strength isn't too abnormal, unlike something like Mythical Tyrant where a 4 your old kid singlehandedly annihilates.... Err 5000 elite soldiers? Or was it 100k?

5. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see the hype for kids being godly. I mean, if I reverted back to a kid, I'd probably sleep more than anything. When you get older, sleep is hard to get...

admira likes this.
  6. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    In response to the original post, I have a system for culling old/inactive novels & manga from my lists. This keeps the uncertain ones from cluttering my front page.

Every few months, I move just about everything to a "to sort" list. If I end up reading it again, it goes back onto the reading list. If it's still on the "to sort" list when the next time rolls around, I move it to my dropped list. I get rid of a lot of stories with interesting premise that turn stale that way. This works for a lot of stories that I got caught up in the hype for early on (those cliffs), but turned out to be mediocre and couldn't tempt me back after a break.

A lot of the really long stories turn stale after the first 100~200 chapters (depending on chapter length). It's good if they were interesting to start off, but there's no point in holding onto a story out of nostalgia. If anything, toss stories you're not sure about or no longer update into a tentative drop list. Who knows, you might have a sudden craving for it or it might update out of the blue a year from now.

7. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for it. With some novels I've found that if I try it again I enjoy it and can't figure out why I dropped it in the first place

8. gill

gill Kairoaddict Disease Acquired

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you also didn't read No Fatigue, since the MC still under 1yr old , but he already defended the fort his father stationed and also killed enemy general, which also a cheat user albeit only small army of bandit. this novel is interesting because while MC sure is have cheat like abilities, the story foreshadowing that his future enemy will also on the level of cheat , it's likely will become a battle between cheat holder of Good God and Evil God,

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lucinia for any series that you drop with out read try read it after 100~200 chapters translated. Depend on how many word per chapter usually author write style, what he/she want to do with story is clear. Read some reviews also helpful, so if it still not interesting just make it go green:whistle:

10. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    What the hell... some authors need to get their brain checked... unless the race of the MC is something different than human...

For example, in Re: Monster, the MC isn't even a year old yet and he already has an OP army. But then, he's not human but the quick growing goblin.

rpgbscout likes this.
  11. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Read The Iron Teeth if you want a more realistic depiction of a goblin MC.

12. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no such thing as a realistic depiction of goblin since goblins aren't real. What you mean is a "more unique" or "less human" type of goblin. Or something else. Either way, a goblin that is interesting.

13. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean a description of a goblin and world that is more realistic than that of Re:Monster which is only a step away from a game world. There aren't "levels" of training or any BS like that. Its just a world where sometimes a little street urchin with a knife can kill the stongest warrior if he isn't paying attention. While yes goblins may not exist, one can extrapolate off of certain real-life known data to obtain a facsimile of what a goblin might be, something like a smaller homo erectus perhaps.

14. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Should I restart The Nine Cauldrons? I know it's IET but I was really disappointed back when translations only started, even edited something...but looking at reviews maybe I should've stuck with it for a bit

15. Lucinia

Lucinia Baby turtles are the Overlords of cuteness *_*

Reading List:
    Link
    I read it again not so bad until now ...

16. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    It's okay now that I found Gravity retranslated first 18 chaps, honestly I would've given up again with Wuxia Translations

17. Lucinia

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been quite a while but I like the previous translator post some links to the techniques which where used (don't mind grammar so hard, cause I'm no native English speaker so I give a f..k :p)

18. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a non native english speaker as well so that has nothing to do with it, some of my friends have even higher grammar standards than me, guess it depends on how well you speak english...

19. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    All three of those are good stories though...

I would say you should definitely start reading Transcending the Nine Heavens and Skyfire Avenue again.
    Skyfire Avenue's beginning though seemingly pointless, I personally found it intriguing, sets the stage for some really awesome stuff. The author does quite a bit of World/character building and invites the reader into the world of the protagonist. A powerful, yet low-key wealthy bachelor with an interesting history, Lan Jue.

20. Lucinia

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as you can understand it ,its fine oh and in tnc the Mc is not an total overpowered baby (take some time until he leave the village and after that who cares about age, just sometimes annoying i n the beginning

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.