should I use the charger that comes with my phone?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shiki, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing that my both my laptop and my phone uses a type-C charger, I wonder if bringing phone charger is redundant. It only differs in wattage after all. 15 W for phone vs 65 W for laptop. They say that I only have to consider the voltage, and both of them has 9.0 V/(3A for laptop, 1.67A for phone) and 5.0 V/(3A for laptop, 2A for phone), with additional text 15.0 V/3A and 20V/3.25A in laptop charger.

Can I just use my laptop charger instead? What's the risk?

SwordEmpress likes this.
  2. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read the output! Both charger got VERY large difference which could harm either devices if switched! IMHO, IF you want to save space, just charge your phone via your laptop's USB using USB/Type C charging/data cable

3. SwordEmpress

SwordEmpress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

I charge my devices using my laptop while that is also charging all the time. Really saves time, I feel that my phone or ipad charge faster too, and reduces distance, also is a lot less messy.

Sabruness likes this.
  4. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    check the max amperage, or mA that your phone can take (user manual), and compare that with the output in the charger.
    also the voltage V.

5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    some chargers with multiple voltages output are called 'intelligent chargers' because they can auto-detect and output the required voltages for any devices connected to them.

it would be more helpful if you could just take a picture of the labels on each chargers and post them here.

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    you can charge your phone with your laptop.....
    there should be option
    -transfer file
    -transfer media
    -usb charge
    those are common option for phone these day, more so if you use phone with charger included~
    hmmm idk how about apple product tho~
    this cat use samsung and some china phone that have such option and it work~

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Annoyingly, my laptop only have one usb A connector, which is occupied by my wacom/mouse/other phone. Why don't samsung made usb type C male to usb type C male cable and bundle it in the phone I don't know. That's extra cost I have to purchase next month, I guess.

https://ibb.co/ykftvWg

8. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AFAIK, aren't those 'intelligent charger' not the standard that came in the box w/ the devices?
    Hmmm....I think I've seen several multi port hub that been sold on the online shops, though I'm not sure of it's compatibility w/ your laptop
    Other choice (if you still want/need to bring both charger): T-shaped electrical connector/slots (that's what it's called, if I'm not mistaken, sample: 1st pict below) or similar connector w/ 4 slots (this one you could make/fitted it yourself w/ +/- a meter length cable, sample: 2nd pict below). The ones in the picts below are just sample, I'm sure you could find something similar in your local electrical shops, fitted to your country's setting (Europe/USA, or others)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  9. Deleted member 97520

Deleted member 97520 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Or get a usb splitter, they're cheap.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    if you have that hmmm there device to make multiple usb slot hmm usb splitter?
    yup yup you need usb splitter
    one of keyboard, one for usb slot, one for mouse, other for dunno
    oh that good if your room if you only have one slot for electricity plug

online shop?
    don't you people just buy it on nearest electricity store or something? some store that deal with tool such ikea can have one~

for second type it usually, 1 meter, 3 and 5m long~ well you can modify da cable if you can do it

11. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    while you are not wrong on that regards, some phone did comes with the so-called 'intelligent' (also called 'adaptive') dual (or more) voltage. Samsung s10+, for example
    20210319_002720.jpg

chargers with multiple voltage will default to 5v unless it detects (by communicating with the devices) that the devices needs higher voltage.

12. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you have a 95% chance for no problem to appear.
    The problem is with laptop usb-c chargers that do not conform to pinout and protocol.

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as chargers go, you need to match the voltage of the charger with the voltage of your device and make sure that the charger has at least enough amperage to charge the device.

Most USB chargers will negotiate the proper voltage with your device if the charger and/or device support different voltages. Chances are pretty good that you won't hurt anything by plugging your phone into your laptop charger. Worst case, the phone just won't charge.

You need to be exact on the voltage. The amperage doesn't need to be exact as long as it meets or exceeds the amps required by the device you're trying to charge. USB chargers will typically attempt to negotiate with the device you're charging. If a voltage can't be negotiated, it'll usually default to a USB standard which might not charge things quickly, but it's unlikely that your phone will suffer any damage.

The only thing you need to be careful of is if Dell decided to screw with the pins on their charger. Dell is known to make things proprietary for no reason. I'd check online to see if the pin out conforms to USB standards or if Dell made a proprietary standard for the charger.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  14. shyja

shyja 『Seinen』『School life』『Sports』

Reading List:
    Link
    i returned a unit where the given charger didn't fit the laptop.. talk about unlucky

15. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Power source With solutions based Studer(harman).
    Studer900 is a popular powersorce for most people, it's come with a 5V@25Watts super charge.
    The charger that come with your phone might be dangerous as most of them are really unstable. It's even cheaper if you get them from kits.
    you can get a kit about 40 USD and a fully build units about 50 USD.
    upload_2021-4-19_22-10-3.png

I remembers Testing an Iphone chargers on a oscilloscope and those perform horrible when it's underloads. The voltage is not exact at all, you can see the waves at oscilloscope.

Wait your laptop use 9V 3A? that 27Watts. I think what you meant is 19 watts. I have yet to see a laptop with 9 watts power supply.

Or maybe I just don't know. I use 19.5V 9.23A @180watts for most of my laptops. 20V and 19V are also common for laptops I have a few of them as well. but I have yet to see any laptop use 9V and 5V.
    Other than that 12V and 5V are the most common ones for other electronics.
    I think your laptop only use the 20V@65Watts.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  16. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant the rated output voltage from the charger needs to exactly match the rated input voltage on the device being charged. Not that you need to run a line conditioner between the power supply and the device.

Try running 12V into a device that only accepts 5V and tell me how that goes.

17. NumbaWon

NumbaWon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can charge more powerful electronics with a lesser charger, but you generally shouldn't charge less powerful electronics with a more powerful charger. There is a potential of your phone getting fried if you try and use your laptop charger with it.

18. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Charging a device with a charger that outputs a lower voltage or amperage than the device is expecting can cause damage. It's best to always match the input voltage to the output voltage and make sure that the amperage rating on the charger meets or exceeds the amps required to power the device you're charging.

19. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even smart charger?

20. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Smart chargers are called smart because they can negotiate two or more charging outputs with the device being charged. If one of the rated output voltages matches the rated input for the device and the amperage meets or exceeds the input rating, then you're fine. If not, then don't use that charger with that device.