Should legends be trusted ???

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NineArts, Nov 13, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NineArts

NineArts Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can legends be trusted ? Some say they are real while others not like Guatama Buddha achieving enlightenment under bodhi tree ,Bodhidharma it can be any legend (may be I 've read too maaannnny novels so it's effects are taking place)

2. AzureZero

AzureZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. Legends are legends they could be truth but just a teeny bit over dramatised.

3. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legends usually have some truth as a core. However how much is truth and how much is fiction varies. Almost none are pure truth, so you should be careful about trusting them.
    Think of Legends as Hollywood movies "based on a true story" and you should be fine.

4. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Some can and some can’t. Most legends do have an originating fact behind it. But as it gets passed down the generations it can change and become something completely different.

Black Parcher and AzureZero like this.
  5. rfu12

rfu12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For sure legends can be trusted, but you need to be aware of what you are actually dealing with. Legends and religious texts are NOT scientific literature. They are NOT meant to be taken as "and this happened just as the way it was written there, word for word".

These stories (and whatever comes with them, like festivals, rituals, institutions, etc) provide some kind of value. That is the only way they can survive throughout history. If they had no value, they would not be shared or passed on to the next generation, but they would be forgotten.

So to understand those kinds of stories, you want to see and find value in the stories you are reading. If you can not find value in those stories, try listening or reading what people who do see value in those stories think and understand when they read them. This approach fundamentally and positively changed my whole approach to mythology and religion (I am catholic).

6. NineArts

Reading List:
    Link
    While browsing i got to know about monkey King cave I was shocked man what was that fucking money cave really can't distinguish what real /fake

7. AzureZero

Reading List:
    Link
    Think of it as, can this happen now in this day and age without a picture of it and if so why not? Did these important characters die out? But aren't they supposed to be immortal so legends could have some truth but...

8. xqiko

xqiko Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    legends should be more like a guidelines then trusted or untrusted, its always based on some truth which is passed on to this day because its still useful.

9. NineArts

Reading List:
    Link
    Man I agreed with that but it's really infuriating
    That's why man it is really infuriating where are they now ? Goes to some upper realms

10. MarSprite

MarSprite <Impossible to Gauge>

Reading List:
    Link
    The Legend... will never die.

AzureZero likes this.
  11. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I had an interesting conversation with an elderly gentleman yesterday. Well I was thinking about zombies and I think that he was thinking about undead. Anyway. The point is where do authors get ideas about zombies or magic dragons or whatever?

So this man told me a story from his youth. He went to a cemetery as a teen with a friend and they saw “fire burst” above the graves. According to him it’s a natural phenomenon of some gas being released from a decomposing corpse in the grave. When mixing with air/ O2 that gas combusts, causing a burst of flames. As there are only gravestones around- Nothing gets burned.

So his reply to my “mutation for zombies “ was the fire bursts above graves for the “light in the undead eyes”, I suppose.

The conversation was rather random, so not sure about any deeper meanings.
    But as a teen he could have heard a “legend” of fiery souls or something. In fact it’s just some gas, but local people could have made up stories to scare the kids...

AzureZero likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not shatter people's fragile psyche just to fulfill your own self importance
    Leave legends alone.
    At least all the dumb Tortoise and Hare legends helped me to be hopeful for the future.

AzureZero likes this.
  13. Nanashy

Nanashy Scarybun of Horror

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of the oldest legends describe stuff like space travel, or how the earth looks from high. All things that the ancients for sure could not know with the technology we know they had. So some speculate that either the spiritual was true at those times, either aliens (well, there is also theory that the humans had high technology at one point of time, but managed to destroy themselves). In the end it creates legends, was it a monster, was it a plane, was it a meteor - nonetheless it was something.

AzureZero likes this.
  14. AzureZero

Reading List:
    Link
    True though, legends help people learn about many things of pasts or present so while some legends may be just for fun, they still are quite valuable.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. NineArts

Reading List:
    Link
    Man science describe everything in scientific way but does spirit exist ?is it ?
    Is gases are not included in five element we talk about in novel

16. AzureZero

Reading List:
    Link
    Well kind of? In novels they always say about compressing gasses till they are liquid and finally compresses it into a solid(core) anyway some novels also say about how the 5 elements can come in many states .

17. NineArts

Reading List:
    Link
    Really frustrating man when we compare novel terms in RL we get same result

18. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you OP. You reminded me of a tv show I never finished called legends. Lol

19. NineArts

Reading List:
    Link

20. Ophis_Trihexa

Ophis_Trihexa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    T
    That's the truth behind the legend of will o wisps.
    Methane igniting from corpses and swamps.

Meloman and Nanashy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.