Resolved Shounen Ai genre being added on 2 no-CP novels

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by riririn, Jul 18, 2022.

1. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novels are The Matchmaker Tool Is Uncooperative (raws) and A Professional Avenger (raws). Both of them are tagged 無CP (no couple) in the raws. I've gone to remove the Shounen Ai tag a couple of times and have heard from someone else that they've also been removing it. Is it possible to get the genre section locked to edits for that tag? Thank you!

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    so the novels are 'straight', or in other words, not a BL novel or novel with BL-ish elements?

3. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically, they're no romance ig?

4. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read either but heard that it's gaybait. The 無CP/no couple tag means no romance (or at least no endgame) though

5. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    why is a 'no romance' not qualifying a novel for a BL genre?

6. aShinyVaporeon

Reading List:
    Link
    Since BL implies that the story focuses on two male characters having a romance, and there can't be a romance if there's no romance? It's Boy's Love, so there's gotta be love between boys.
    I mean I took a look at the genre explanation (maybe it only hints at it?) and I haven't read the two novels mentioned, but if the author thinks it's not BL I guess it isn't.

7. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    so you are saying if its a oneshot story of a two men having a one-night-stand and going on each other's way afterward, it can't be tagged BL since there 'no romance' ?

8. aShinyVaporeon

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, that'd be yaoi probably and not shounen ai, so yeah? (I forgot to mention sexual relationships, oops. Sorry)

9. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    riiiiight :blobamused:

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  10. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    I brought it up because I use Shounen Ai and Yaoi as a catch-all for BL and expect a romance novel where there's a defined couple, either where they get together or where they split up on bad terms. I would not classify gaybait as BL. In any case, you're the staff member here, so if it counts then it counts; I don't see a need to be so interrogative about my classification of Shounen Ai.

11. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    not really. my question is from genuine confusion. after all, i'm not a BL reader. so if i do lock it, i need something that i can fallback on if these novel were ever mentioned in the future.

12. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an example of why he needs some form of explanation to fall back on. Not all staffs are BL readers and not everyone of them are MTL readers directly from the website that has these genre classifications. He just needs a clarification that would help him justify the action.

13. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what kind of justification you need to see and would appreciate specifics on what would be appropriate. I've done my best to clarify further below why I believe there should not be a Shounen Ai tag on the novel but I'm unable to provide any plot points if that's what you need.

No, it's 無CP, "no couple", which is a tag used when there is no romance. It's not het romance nor is it BL.
    I believe that a "no romance" tag should disqualify a novel from being categorized as any kind of romance novel, BL included.

14. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what's needed.

You do understand that the 2nd novel you mentioned while it does covers the no CP involving the MC, all the worlds are BL worlds. As a BL reader, one might not find this troublesome but from the standpoint of someone who's seeking to read a no romance but not BL nor GL this is reading BL.

We aren't discussing jjwxc genre here but the story itself whether it warrants the genre. That's why, while he understood the explanation of what you mentioned, the relevance to the story is what's questioned hence requiring the plot.

AliceShiki likes this.
  15. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the explanation; this was not clear to me from the prior replies.