Discussion Shout Out To Defiance Of The Fall

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by wrightl, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrightl

wrightl Wizards are better than warriors

Reading List:
    Link
    Defiance of the Fall by TheFirstDefier on royal road (https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/24709/defiance-of-the-fall) is one of my favorite stories. It is the best combination of xianxia and Litrpg I've ever seen, and it is still going strong at six chapters a week with almost 1300 pages.
    I'm giving it a shout out because it's initial chapters were fairly standard and didn't really stand out, so I think a lot of people might have read a bit and dropped it, but I am telling all of those people to give Defiance another look, at least until chapter 8. Before chapter 8 I would give the story 4/5 stars (for royal road), after 8 I would give it a 5/5, and after chapter 69 it becomes a 6/5 on royal road, or a 5/5 in the real world.

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Those a fighting words

But you must not forget the weakness triangle
    Wizard beats warrior
    Rogue beats wizard
    Warrior beats rogue

Wujigege likes this.
  3. wrightl

wrightl Wizards are better than warriors

Reading List:
    Link
    When I say wizards are better than warriors I didn't just mean from a fighting power perspective, I speak more from a desirability viewpoint. If I were the strongest warrior ever, like Saitama from One Punch Man, I could probably profit off of it, but it wouldn't be a big deal to me. However, if I were a wizard there would be consistent quality of life increases as well as great versatility. A warrior can fight, a wizard can craft.

Fitoor, Wujigege and Westeller like this.
  4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wizard is the optimal choice in any world with magic. Screw warriors. What's the point of living in a world with magic and not being able to use magic? I'll tell you: there is no point! You might as well go ahead and fall on that sword you're so proud of, be reborn back in THIS world, and chill with the rest of us non-magical people in our non-magical world.

But I don't think this has anything to do with the novel this thread was made for. He's not a wizard, is he? You said xianxia.

I'm going to need a bit more than "it's great". Esp since the last review on RRL is "it goes downhill after c100". (Though that guy seems to be fairly alone in his opinion, despite what he says about the "rest of the reviewers".)

wrightl and Wujigege like this.
  5. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also kinda felt it lost some of its appeal after chapter 100; which is shortly after human interaction began with the MC. I'm still reading it but at times the MC loses his likability. Of course this is all subjective, and I am still reading it, just more as something to go back to when I'm looking for something to read.

Other recent original novels that I would recommend:
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters - Very well written transmigration story, whose Patreon success has been astonishing. From starting a Patreon in early September(around Chapter 40) to over $8000 at the beginning of November to $9142 currently. It's great to see what's possible with a popular story & smart Patreon launch.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26534/vainqueur-the-dragon - Very fun story about a Dragon who turns adventurer with his human minion.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26974/apocalypse-born - Another well-written story, similar in premise to Defiance of the Fall regarding an apocalypse with merging worlds and Earth, set in the near future.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Westeller and Wujigege like this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I am interested in that review.
    Sometimes a review can be more amusing than a novel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.