Recommendations Similar kingdom-building western novels?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by ChairryPie, Oct 3, 2016.

1. ChairryPie

ChairryPie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First post on this forum so please be merciful T.T
    Sorry, I know novel updates isn't really the place to ask for original English novels but its the only place that can understand my references.
    I'm looking for western novels focused on kingdom-building and management similar to A Realist's Kingdom Reform, Hail the King and Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken. Mostly A Realists kingdom reform though. I would REALLY PREFER it if it were physically published novels as in something you can pick up at a legit library over stuff you'd read at royalroad (Though if its just that good go ahead). I'd prefer a fantasy series please coz most of the ones recommended online for these types of western novels are space opera and I really prefer fantasy. Domestic affairs oriented please, I don't really like those that are more focussed on fighting/coups/revolutions since I prefer the politics and economics. Thanks in advanced!

RussianPanda likes this.
  2. Hate

Hate born

Reading List:
    Link
    Sevens
    the world building is some what similar to western stories

3. heartentice

heartentice The One That Entice The Soul

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he wants to know western novel that has similar concept of world building

4. ClearMadness

ClearMadness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Safehold Series by David Weber. Although, it's technically sci-fi.

Hmmm, let me think.

5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Westeller likes this.
  6. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    rahmanash likes this.
  7. NovelsJapan

NovelsJapan |||Master of T-shirts|||「死にたい」「助けて」

Reading List:
    Link
    Coiling Dragon....completed country building novel

8. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    It's very hard to find a Western fantay solely focused on kingdom building since very few published western authors are bad enough authors to pigeonhole themselves into such a narrow topic. Furthermore, good western authors also understand that kingdoms can't just be magically built and reformed like they are in light novels and web novels.

Nimroth and Westeller like this.
  9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just @Arcturus in this case, I'm afraid. I know a few offhand that sort of fit, but they all feature "fighting/coups/revolution" ... I don't think I've ever read anything that was 100% domestic affairs, to be honest.

Oh well, since I'm here anyway, I'll rec The Queen's Thief series. ... The first book has almost nothing to do with what you want. It's a small group traveling across country borders to retrieve an object of political significance. Everything in the first book has political rationale, but it's still your typical adventure story. ... Book 2 and onwards, though, deal a lot with country-level politics, war and diplomacy. ... I can't really say much without spoiling stuff, but main characters in the story are royalty.

Edit Oh, hi, Arcturus. Didn't see you there. Guess you can't think of anything either, huh..

10. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    you better make a new thread so it not confusing~

12. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Not me. I like stories with more diverse plot lines than just straight kingdom building which I find to be boring due to its strict unrealistic focus on just political and economic issues which is just entirely unrealistic.

The Long Price Quartet is kinda close to fitting your desires though. Definitely plays around with themes of power and politics with the dynamic of a country having access to WMDs.

13. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    No need. I'm also looking for the same thing the original poster is seeking. By the way, I wish to know if there are any historical books about Henry VIII of England. I'm also quite interested with western historical novels.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    :) I see

15. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can check Great Tang Idyl. Is not straight kingdom building but close enough.
    Also on RRL although they are abandoned you have several.
    Clockwork, Overseer, Once a Hero, Dungeon Games and there are a few other more but forgot the name.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  16. ChairryPie

ChairryPie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the recommendations! Though its not all exactly what I'm looking for I'm glad they all seem fairly interesting. And lol yeah I agree with Arcturus with how unrealistic wns and lns are with this concept to the point that it seems stupid. That's why I was looking for western published novels in hopes of seeing better writing but I guess this concept is too unrealistic to be written that well. And lol
    Glad to see someone with similar tastes especially since I haven't read some of these. Once again thanks to everyone's suggestions

Aina Seira likes this.
  17. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    The Long Price Quartet really seems like it would be up your alley though as the series generally eschews actual combat.

18. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Closest thing I can think of atm is something like Daughter of the Empire by Janny Wurts/Raymon E. Feist, mainly since it has a focus on the rebuilding of a clan/noble house.
    Not exactly devoid of conflict though...

19. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    The ones that come to mind are mostly non-western. That being said, you might want to look at "business building", or "historical fiction" (set near the renaissance). There's for example a very good trilogy about a girl who somehow becomes a pirate to avenge her adoptive father from a family of corrupt merchants, which could fit the "revenge trope". A similar novel might exist in the "kingdom building" type.

That being said, if you'd be ok with more oriented to politics... Game of Thrones. To be fair though, there's much more mismanagement than building...

20. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    Could try the empire trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurst. First book is called daughter of the empire.
    It's very political oriented.