Recommendations Similar novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by ANK, Feb 22, 2021.

1. ANK

ANK Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Katra1212

Katra1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What exactly are you looking for? Aside from having male MC, fantasy, adventure, and action. Magic, and there's even VR...

Since I don't know exactly, I can recommend you with good novels with Magic:
    Lord of the Mysteries (cause it's not on your list).
    Throne of Magical Arcana
    Worlds’ Apocalypse Online
    Supreme Magus
    Birth of the Demonic Sword
    The Legendary Mechanic- this is VR

ANK likes this.
  3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Mystical Journey" I guess?

His "first" world is filled with various martial artists who can get strong enough to be unharmed by bullets, dodge other weaponry (though massive numbers will kill them like anyone else because the author admits you can't dodge when there's not enough space for your speed and reflexes). He loves some decades there and a fuckoff missile kills him after some governemnt baited him to a weird island. His second world is if Pokemon wartimes world was made up by a chinese author. That's the one he lives very long in because locals there can acquire a power that also extends their lifespan massively.

His third world is filled with mysterious legacy in the vein of The Vampire Diaries ( Vampires, Witches and some other monsters). He is just a martial artist with an overdeveloped technique and some spiritual powers. He is also quite evil here outside his family and has no problem experimenting on rich kids ( at college) to get their money for his operations ( making a merc corp, finding what form power takes in this world because his old 2 ways won't get him far on their own).

Each world( at least far as I got) has him figure out more multiverse secrets and get in bigger trouble because of that ( in ancient times warlocks were one of top factions along gods, void monsters and some else). He gets a warlock legacy (booby trapped and a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth even if it does work in all worlds he arrives to since the shade inside keeps trying to get MC's soul as revival item/snack), his soul that got strong in second world is now besieged by dream monsters and an old kill crazy bitch who betrayed warlocks or something and gave an oath to her new alleigance to kill all warlocks where MC coutns because for the warlock legacy he gave his oath to kill other factions).

The third world is the weirdest since its origin story is there was 1 single godlike monster whose death and body splitting resulted in all the 3-4 legacies appearing. Witches are human born and towns where they are they behave like reversed gender roles with toxic sexism. That's still better than monster ruled humans who don't know anything and can get eaten or kidnapped and tortured horribly whenever a monster pleases.

Big thing is there isn't powerful goody two shoes. In fact, grey is best you can expect and pure black is likely wherever MC goes so he becomes like everyone else by middle of 2nd world arc and does whatever is fastest, easiest and cruelest ( funnily, these options are also most secure for him, though he doesn't ever manage to avoid consequences like his plan would have him, so that part is rather realistic) to get ahead.

So his first world is martial art( he gathers potential with lots of food, training and changing his practice), his second he does beast raising and genetics research ( locals do it too, he just has their notes, a fresh POV on the subject, much paranoia and another local made ace up his sleeve that gets him far).

Third has him use the soul seed to fuck with normal locals because he ( after 2 lifetimes of hard work and being a big shot each time) hates his powerlessness and difficulty to finish off local enemies ( witches have mystical powers he can't get through before the soul seed matures and vampires just keep regenerating at near combat capable speed). Eventually he becomes a genuine threat and another force there and settles down a bit. Don't know how that goes though since I stopped at him still lacking defenses and solution to warlock traitor ancient grandma hunting him.

ANK likes this.
  4. ANK

ANK Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy world similar to the universe of Dungeons & Dragons. Elves, Orcs, Dragons, Demons of the Abyss, Devils and Gods with a divine kingdom and a church. Myriad professions - warrior, thief, assassin, archer, magician, priest, arcanist and so on. A protagonist can be any race from a human to a worm of the Abyss who becomes the Ruler of the Abyss. Becomes God or equal in strength to them in another way (for example, the Great Arcanist, Monk).

Lord of the Mysteries - I'll read it interesting
    Throne of Magical Arcana - I've already read it
    Worlds’ Apocalypse Online - I've already read it
    Supreme Magus - check
    Birth of the Demonic Sword - check
    The Legendary Mechanic- this is VR - I've already read it

Check

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  5. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, The Devil's Cage.

It has a different setup from DnD somewhat, but prevalent and ever appearing monsters and supernatural events are similar.

It's completed and aside from the last arc that isn't worth reading ( the world where he appears with Borl, Broker's pawn lasts several hundred chapters unlike the other arcs and is the final one). The reason the last arc is annoying is because it features time travel all of a sudden ( by a side character whose authority and powers are kept vague and hidden by the author so he can pull off schemes like that) and the final fight against the Boss of the entire setting is like the final fight between Meng Hao and Allheaven.

Everything else is either okay or outright great if DnD-esque feel is what you want. There's paladins ( Dawn Knights, but there's not much difference), monsters like mutated crocs ( start times), vampires, undead in general ( ghosts, zombies, revenants, liches), demons, Gods ( late game stuff ), devils ( very hidden legendary side quest somewhere in 3-4 arc where it doesn't appear directly, there's a legacy left by it coveted by local undead).

Furthermore, the big thing is while the MC can rampage around after he gets strong, he realizes that approach will get him killed if he keeps it up so he finds allies, some summoned servants and starts getting more involved with NPCs by making things move due to his initial appearance and then keeping up lies and misdirection until his real targets appear instead of getting played into expending his powers on mooks and elite mooks who merely play boss role to lure out interference like MC out.