Recommendations Similar to The Mech Touch

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by jacobpaige, Dec 19, 2018.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Specifically, I'm looking for a series in which the MC is strictly a crafter of some sort and actively avoids combat while also being mostly a burden in most combat scenarios. It doesn't need to be mechs, or even scifi.

No horror or yaoi please. Needs to be legally available online, in English, for free. Royal Road, etc. are fine.

2. Sofa_KingII

Sofa_KingII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MusicFromMiles likes this.
  3. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Magi Craft Meister until the chapters where he creates magic guns and some kind of armor/suit/exosqueleton.

I stopped reading because of the plot of an evil organization wanting to control the world with the mastermind being a crazy mind-controlling automata. Even the previous translator stopped translating because the arc about them was kinda long.

4. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    It honestly doesn't sound very good after looking at the reviews.
    Looking at the reviews, I don't think I'd like it.

5. sadmanex

sadmanex [I'm popular too]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ascendance of a Bookworm is good. most NU reviewer cannot be trusted. btw, it got no action, it also slow, and it slice of life.

6. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, from the reviews I got basically two things: she's a jerk, and there is no real plot. I'm not really looking for either of those things.

7. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda agree that they don't are/look good especially after a while but still worth to read the beginning, you can try and quit when you don't like it anymore. They are kinda interesting (for me) because it's nice to see the trend of "re-creates stuff from modern world in isekai".

Bookworm romance is 0 with MC deciding near the end to marry the priest 1)Only someone with high mana like her is compatible to make children 2)Only so she can continue to be near books.
    Also some kind of drama in it because needs to be adopted by a noble and will enter a noble's academy and so, with her family, fakes her death.

Magi, beside a noble girl that seems pretty close to him just like a sister, there is only a loli interested in him that promises to marry him when she grows up and I only hope that they do get together because hearing MC think about his orphanage's loli juniors not following their promises of marrying him sure is sad.

But yeah Bookworm can be a little disappointing with her being weak/taking a while/a few chapters to up her health and even more time until she creates paper and/or other stuff but i still think it was a nice read when bored.

Magi is more interesting because MC re-creates more modern stuff. One interesting moment was when he explained how worked his thermos to his friend and also that science is a huge thing in his previous world. The manga version is badly drawn though, really disappointment.

You can ignore Bookworm but at least try Magi, surely it's not a good novel (for some people) but at least it's better then nothing and being bored.

8. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Why a jerk ? She was in previous world just a normal girl that likes books a little too much. But yeah no real plot just her wanting to read books until the end. I like that better then a bad plot of some bad guys appearing and she needs to beat them and de-facto save the world.

9. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jacob usually isn't one of those "It's different, so it's good" type of reader.

If it's shit, it's shit. The only difference is the smell of the shit.

Oh, and hardcore critic too. Just find a Jacob in any LCD.

Bright_Lucky_Star and jacobpaige like this.
  10. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    ? Somehow i don't understand your post.
    I just wanted to say that MC is not a jerk or not a bad person.

And that it's better not having a plot and having the slice-of-life lifestory of MC then having a bad plot like Aliens suddenly appearing all of a sudden just like i saw in the manga Jusco Valkyrie.

11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a problem with plotless SoL series. They're just not what I'm in the mood for right now.
    There's a lot that I liked about Spice and Wolf, but ultimately, I found it kinda boring. Is this series better than that one?

13. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Madgala got a manga version but yeah not that interesting.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom Bloodline is the only novel I can think of that matches your situation.
    It's a very slow read though.
    264 chapters and he is still 7 years old.
    The author overestimates his ability to keep readers' attention but still a good story.

Mr v likes this.
  15. uttamk956

uttamk956 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mechanical god emperor MC created various mecha to fight for him

16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of the saying, "Damning with faint praise."...
    He didn't really craft anything. He just ran around being the biggest SoB he could be and let his cheat research, design, and craft everything for him and clean up all the messes he made. At most, you could say that he gathered the resources for the crafting, but even that is only true some of the time. Most of the time, the machines gathered their own resources.

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha it's actually good but a scene that got me riled up as it was similar to a story I wrote about a decade ago : Soul Blade.
    Only to be disappointed, a similar scene happened about 100 chapters later but I was already angry lol

18. 3xtBlade

3xtBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The dungeon supplier, if you dont mind it being from QI. There are ways to get around it.

Have a good touch initially on the idea of being a good dungeon supplier, but somewhere along the way i just lost my interest. Instead of adding more depth to the idea of 'supplying dungeons', it ended up with more and more amenities added to the store and less on the actual dungeons provided itself. The character development is still ok though, so u can give it a try.

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped it. As I recall, it just didn't feel like the author had any real clue where the story was going. Though, I could be mistaken. It's been a while since I dropped it.

20. MarcoM

MarcoM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should look up Daedalus.
    I'm currently reading this after catching uo with the latest translations of mechs touch. It's a academy competition setting.
    Most time is spent on the design proces but there are some chapters about the team fighting to progress the schools ladder and dominatkng fights with better tech.