Single sex schools are useless?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Azusky, Mar 12, 2016.

?

Good or bad idea?

1. Worst invention ever

2. Bad idea

3. Not sure

4. Good idea

5. Best invention ever

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mukkaar

mukkaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's not really point in single sex schools. I mean there isn't any benefit in that and its more efficient to maintain normal schools. At most you manage to make interactions between sexes more awkward.

2. Big Boy

Big Boy Weeabo Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    As most people said, single-sex schools have their pros and cons.
    The pros being a (mostly) distraction-free environment where the students can study and interact with each other at ease. No need to mind how the other sex sees you if they're not around.
    The cons being that most people in single-sex schools are completely sheltered. Single-sex schools are the norm here, and let me tell you, people have no fucking clue how to interact with people of the other gender. It's both hilarious and worrying at the same time. Apparently making guys only go to school with other guys makes them grow up to be quite crude people. Think "locker-room talk", but 24/7.

3. schnitter

schnitter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though I don`t know how single sex elementary school stay but when I went to an all boy high school, we had sister all girl high school, and the thought that girls don`t interact with boys is so wrong. There were events were boys could meet girls, letters, internet especially Facebook and now whatsapp and during holiday they would meet up and when they were going home via the bus, girsl and boys because of being close all the time shared their experience. The only ppl who did not interact with the opposite were ppl who didn`t want to or there parents made sure they didn`t do.
    But my experience at a all boys school was good and will always think of its one of the best time of my life. Also in my country single sex schools are in the top 20 best performing high schools

4. Little Dragon

Little Dragon I does what I likes and I likes what I do

Reading List:
    Link
    I attend one. I think they are fine. I've made some great friends, strong relationships. Whether they really serve a purpose or not, who can say, but they aren't exactly hurting anybody. And it's not like I don't ever see girls, I do. And like some other people mentioned, my school is nationally ranked fairly high.

Westeller likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it's not major but that delay is critical when the best quality girls are being pursued. The possibly better males are to slow to catch up to the lesser quality but more socially adept males. Meaning better first impressions and less likely hood of getting a quality girl, (unless the girls are equally awkward, but since males are the traditional pursuers.....

6. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    ya but seriously single sex schools are where weeaboos are bred and born

they are therefore a menace to society

7. passingthunder

passingthunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In a quantitative standpoint single sex (SS) schools are in general better or the same as co-Ed schools outcome wise (i.e. Grades, college entrance, and graduations). Qualitatively, Having gone to an SS I can say that it was pretty cool just hanging with friends. If you wanted to date girls, you can through clubs, (most SS's do co-Ed clubs). Doing it that way allows people with similar interest to meet up putting a whole lot more emphasis on 'relationship building'. Lastly, for disadvantaged groups (i.e. 'lower income') it is especially important because it significantly decreases their rate of teen pregnancy. So it is a pretty good idea.

Source: http://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/eval/other/single-sex/index.html

8. Crazyh3

Crazyh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Single Sex schools are pointless up until the age of 13-14, they are then useful from the ages of 13-14 to 16-17, they are then pointless again.

9. Konoe

Konoe Wavering Butler, <Original>

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad idea, Male female interactions are vital and if you don't learn how to act towards the opposite gender when you're young it's a lot harder to do it once you get older. In other words you'll be an extremely socially awkward guy/gall.

10. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    That's just a theory, you know?

I'm not sure. There are pluses and minuses. I think that both of them are ok.

11. Novelty

Novelty Inactive Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a female friend who went to an all-girls school. She commented that there were alot of lesbian couples there.

12. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if it's mishandled, really. Some single sex schools will have a 'partner' school which is another single sex school of the opposite gender and organise most of their events together. School isn't your entire life. Sure, it's a large portion of it, but it's not like if you go to a single sex school, you're automatically incompetent with the other sex.

As far as I think for the topic, It's up to the parents to decide anyway. Single sex schools often do well academically because there isn't as many distractions. You can develop your social interaction outside of school with the opposite sex through many other avenues, but you can't develop your education outside of school as efficiently. They still exist because they are popular choices. I think they are a good idea because at the end of the day, parents are being offered more options for their child's education. More options isn't exactly a bad thing.

13. ScotlandForsythe

ScotlandForsythe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure.

14. Mangochic

Mangochic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Single sex schools aren't useless as they provide an environment where you can concentrate on your studies without distractions. They also have multiple events where they interact with opposite sex and some of them are sister/brother schools to the other. Gay/Lesbian relations in SS schools are highly discouraged and if the administration finds out they get kicked out of the school as no sexual relationships are allowed at school especially if its a boarding school.

CDLevit likes this.
  15. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in my whole life i always go to all male school and uni but i know one thing
    if my school as co then i wouldnt study as much as i do and wont go to one of the best uni in my country
    so i think its a good idea but if uni was a my co it would rise moral to study more to show to the other sex :D

well unfortunately there is no good co uni or school in my country so f**k it

16. Nakiami

Nakiami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There has been a problem with rape in colleges, so if anyone is overly paranoid, it could be a viable option.
    It good it exists, even if I personally wouldn't go.

17. the_cheater17

the_cheater17 17 is not my age

Reading List:
    Link
    Girls and boys have different needs. There are nothing called bad schools, the bad is the organization or the system.

Vincent1873 likes this.
  18. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm always wondering, if there's no sex, what's the 'solution'?

Here, in Romania, some campuses-(university) board both genders in the same building and not all rooms have bathroom so, there are several bathrooms for the whole building.

Unisex schools are good for protecting the children, it's easier to detect a male in a girl school. It's the same as in the case of uniforms.

19. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it's like abstinence vs sex ed,

If the school is making sure that the genders are interacting in a safe enviroment that's one thing, but if they are the ones that ban contact with the other gender it's another.

Solving a problem by Avoidance vs education I guess is the crux of it

Even a unisex school with split gender classes might work better

20. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, people seem to completely ignore and disregard that girls and boys actually tend to do better in different learning environments. Schools now being tailored for girls is why boys are dropping out all over the place and are being outnumbered in higher education. Being distracted in classes and interaction with girls is only a single issue.