Site Navigation Fail

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Drust, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Drust

Drust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, is site navigation really so hard to pull off? I have noticed that some of these translation sites are so bad at it that I have to use novelupdates to navigate their site! As someone who has training in software and web development this completely baffles me. These sites are usually WordPress based and lack the standard previous chapter | ToC | next chapter links. They also like to use dates in the URL so I can't just manually edit it to find the next chapter... The worst offenders do all of that plus they have a page before the chapter with a link to the actual chapter except the link has nothing to distinguish it as a link and must be hunted down. After running into a particularly bad offender who shall not be named, I got so worked up I decided to come here and rage a bit. Anyone else run into any other ridiculous design choices while browsing translation sites? I would appreciate it if you would keep actual site names anonymous as bashing others hard work when they are giving us free translations is a bit of a jerk move.

2. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why don't you help them redesign their site instead of raging here? it can also become a practice for you (of course it is only if you are not professional as they won't pay you).

3. ShimizuA

ShimizuA the best teacher is Life.

Reading List:
    Link
    well, many of those translator doesn't know about web design at all so... that's what you get.

4. Drust

Drust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I may have gotten a bit carried away with making a rage post lol. As for helping others fix their sites... You might be onto something there.

5. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    you know there are some people who are just bad at some stuff right?

can't blame them~
    as long as you can read the novel, it's fine~
    i keep the NU page open for navigation(and marking) so it's not that big an issue.

tho one time i have to manually search some chapters due to dead links -.-

6. shellshocked

shellshocked Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's gotten so bad in some places that pirate sites end up having better navigation.
    Why not write up at least two free generic templates that translators can use, one dark/night mode and one regular for website viewing?
    If you want to get paid for it you should offer technical support round the clock for any difficulties they come across.
    But this sounds like too much work.