Request Skills You Can Learn Quickly To Be A Freelancer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Sep 3, 2019.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You are joking right? Mining has plenty of ups and downs, even more so if you end up mining materials that get replaced by others or automation taking your job (see coal). Construction is very seasonal and may require moving from state to state unless you live in a major city. Logistics is probably the most stable out of the 3 but even then that depends on what you are dealing, and none of the 3 get paid as much as a good programmer.

A good programmer is never out of a job as many of them work on the side on their own projects.

You do compile it? JIT compilers like V8, Chakara and SpiderMonkey are engines that do both interpretation and compiling.

That is also false, you can do javascript without any other languages. And this isn't limited by node. Overall, you have to learn HTML regardless what job you want with computers, even a secretary should learn basic HTML.

Javascript was created to be easy to learn and easy to work with, and the fact that you can do multiple things in 1 language is a good motivator for programmers since they can actually get things done without needing to learn multiple things at once. All the stuff they learn is closely related syntax wise.

C# is a lot harder than javascript for beginners

mir, asriu, sleepingloli and 2 others like this.
  2. Blobina

Blobina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a gumshoes, finding peeps' dirty laundry or secret affairs. Paid well. Only time and tenacity needed (maybe some self-defense moves too). ;)

3. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    Does the Wikipedia entry suffice? Or do you want to right click this forum -> view source and take a look at the plain javascript (that is obviously not compiled) yourself?

I never said that you can't. I just said (and this is a fact) Javascript by definition was only ment to ever be used as a HTML extension. That's its reason for existence.
    Listen here bud. I'm not a professional teacher, but I'm pretty sure you can't caution people about the different areas of programming (Server-side, Web, etc...) (Well done btw!) and 1 post later bring the argument that with Javascript you can do everything and your previous caution is suddenly irrelevant... That's not how things work...

Yes you can do all that with Javascript, because the language brings the necessary tools (or more likely than not, it's somehow hacked in there through Injection or so...)

Does that mean someone that made websites for a living for the past 20 years can just decide to make a web server and start immediately? No... They are completely different things... And Javascript will make that task only harder because it was never ment to create web server...

It's the same for Python or any newly hyped interpreted language, that supposedly can do anything. It's great to listen to all the advertising. And hell to work with it, once you actually have a real project to finish with it since the language itself was never designed for it.

Edit: Dependency Injection -> Injection
    It's still early and I only had 1 cup of coffee...

Slayerwolfx2 and Wujigege like this.
  4. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    We've seen that automation and we've worked with them and I'll say they will get nothing out of that machines if we're not in the ground directing and managing things. Their use are very limited not to mention inflexible in most part of the work.
    As for the ups and down i agree but those are either newcomers or a mismanaged ones which were tempted at instant big profits out of bank credits. As long as you know the prospect of the profit involved in the region beforehand you will not run out of job. When we're not constructing, we're mining, or transporting materials.
    I agree programming today have large prospect for profits especially if they're in the robotics sections, we had our own guy programming these machines after all live in the ground to suit our needs.

mir, Slayerwolfx2 and Wujigege like this.
  5. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing I have seen that takes like no talent and makes bank are the blind bag videos on u-tube. Most of the time there are no words, you can only see the persons hands, and they get millions of views. That can equate to thousands a month once the viewership has grown. Quite something for simply unwrapping toys.

Slayerwolfx2, asriu and Wujigege like this.
  6. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    And for some other reason that sounds like it could be the title of a Japanese webnovel...

mir, Slayerwolfx2, vannn and 2 others like this.
  7. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...cooking usually starts from washing dishes. Going up is tough and connections are required. You might be in for 12+ hours standing all the time. And the only freelance job I know in this area are cooks that work in catering for events, shows, tours, etc. and that’s even more chaotic than a normal restaurant so I don’t know if I would rec that...

Slayerwolfx2, Wujigege and Gihn like this.
  8. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    More on what I mentioned about depending what you want to do, here is a basic chart: (though a bit dated)

http://carlcheo.com/wp-content/uplo...language-should-i-learn-first-infographic.png

Cool story, but no. Just because the browser chooses to give you the source code does not make it not a compiled language. Compiled languages can also give you access to source code.

Some languages can be BOTH compiled and interpreted and modern javascript is both.

So what if that was the reason for existence? Languages evolve, PHP at first was a Perl template module. There are plenty of coding that dump the use of HTML form using nodes in javascript to using alternative html processors.

I was cautioning because I can give better advice if I know specifically what their intentions are. But being in the dark, I will vouch Javascript because it is the jack of all trades, master of none.

Aka, my parameters for recommending it are:
    1) Easy to learn, do remember the requirement is 3 months! Javascript is easy enough for you to get to working even with 3 months of training.
    2) Can be used in different things so you can play around with different things and see where you fit.
    3) Learning Javascript is useful regardless of what other language you go with, because more than likely you'll have to interact with it one way or another.

Now if we were 10 years ago, I wouldn't recommend javascript due to the big mess that it was back then. Today? That is another story.

Javascript has evolved more than just being "hacked in" at this point.

Code:
    const http = require('http')
    const port = 3000

const requestHandler = (request, response) => {
      console.log(request.url)
      response.end('Hello Node.js Server!')
    }

const server = http.createServer(requestHandler)

server.listen(port, (err) => {
      if (err) {
        return console.log('something bad happened', err)
      }

console.log(`server is listening on ${port}`)
    })
    Very difficult indeed... It only gets difficult if you need to go low level, but I assure you 95% of coders don't need that.

That still isn't a problem if it wasn't design for it unless you again you need something really specific. Not to mention ever since Perl came up with XS extensions for dealing with lower level programming, many languages copied it. How that works is you write a module in C++ and you can access functions from the C++ module. NodeJS can do this as well

Edit: Just wanted to say, as someone who has been programming for over 30 years starting with BASIC, then moving onto C and Perl, then watching weaker languages like PHP take over as Perl faded out of existence. You can scream all day about how they weren't meant to do X and Y (I've done it for decades) and at one point you just learn to give up and realize simple is best. If someone needs something more powerful, they'll learn it. But if it works to get them started, then that is fine. No need to lose hair over it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a bunch for being so thorough.
    JavaScript it is.
    What do you recommend next?
    I am looking at certifications eg CCNA

10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    After javascript? Well as I said it really depends on what you want to do, and I don't mean about certifications (while outside US and east coast certifications are a thing, silicon valley doesn't care about them really, that isn't to say that you shouldn't get them to prove your qualifications, but you should look past certifications. I know plenty of people who have certifications hanging on their walls collecting dust and many certifications you have to keep updated as well)

Effectively, you need to know what exactly you plan to do. Javascript is a good start for those who are on the ropes and want to try, but if you plan to specialize in something, you might need to move on.

Other than that:
    If you want to make things simple with javascript, go with NoSQL based databases (many use JSON type storage which would be familiar for people), but afterwards you'd probably want to learn SQL. (If you want to go simple, SQLite, mid power(MariaDb/Mysql), more powerful Postgres ). Knowing databases doesn't hurt regardless what you go with.

You can also move onto C++ which will help you make more powerful extensions for NodeJS (though a sudden jump to C++ may be hard), but they can see results instantly since they can use it to extend their NodeJS power.

But again, I would really ask people what they want to program (though I have this feeling people will say mobile apps or games)

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the person I am intending to sponsor currently likes drawing and was thinking graphic design or something similar.
    He loves games too

12. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if I should laugh or feel pity... The fact that you aren't even embarassed is ridiculous.

Javscript is interpreted period. There is no such thing as a Javascript compiler.
    The whole internet wouldn't work if Javascript was compiled...

Languages don't evolve... PHP still does what it was created for. And it was not a Perl template module... That was it's predecessor, if you can even call it that. PHP is it's own implementation...

That goes for any language really...

And then throw javascript away and learn a language that was ment for exactly that purpose, because it is not only more efficient, it's also more secure and scales much better? Yes. Good idea.

In my whole career and all languages I never felt like I needed to know javascript to do basically anything... JSON, XML, CSV? Yes. A whole fucking other language? Why would I ever want to write javascript with my Java or C# app? What kind of nonsense is this...

Yes. Let's just ignore all the open security issues Javascript still has and the workarounds necessary to make it viable for webpages. It's a great language. Definetly.

It never evolved. At most it mutated...
    Nodejs is literally Google Chromes Javascript Engine (yes, the client-side engine...), edited and malformed until it runs standalone... Breaking basically every and all standards in the process...
    Like I said, a hack to make Server programming more "convenient" for web developer.

Oh wow... By that metric, all I have to do is go to https://start.spring.io/ press download and I have a working Spring Boot Tomcat Instance, that has whole lot more functionality than just reply with "Hello Node.js Server!".

You think that's ridiculous? So is your "Web Server"...

That's the whole point of programming. You always want to solve a SPECIFIC task...
    Unless you feel like developing your own Framework, which a beginner and even intermediate programmer never ever wants to do...

Native Interface? Yes... Most languages have it. That's not something that was invented. That basically came with C... Because at those times most languages compiled first into C before having a C compiler turn it into machine code...

13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Skills cannot be acquired quickly. You need to learn, practice and practice, before you can master it several years later. If you can acquire a skill in just a few months, that's not something you're qualified to freelance with. Ai-chan has had to deal with so many noobs who think they can just jump in and become Ai-chan's competition after learning only a few weeks. In the end, customers go to them, felt suspicious and had Ai-chan check. There were so many errors, Ai-chan refused some jobs because it would mean Ai-chan had to do everything from scratch at half the fee. Fuck no!

Learn properly, practice regularly before offering your services to paying customers!

mir and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  14. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    If you plan to draw, than you would need photoshop. You can get CS2 for free albiet its not as feature rich. If you plan to freelance though you can use other tools like Krita which is free and open source or other alternatives. That is for 2d, for 3d there is Blender.

As for gaming, the easiest would probably be to use a gaming engine like Unreal Engine which uses C++ or Unity Engine which uses Javascript or C#.

Again, javascript is both interpreted and compiled.

It is also written such in Wikipedia:

"A JavaScript engine is a computer program that executes JavaScript (JS) code. The first JavaScript engines were mere interpreters, but all relevant modern engines utilize just-in-time compilation for improved performance."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript_engine

Even if you ignore that, there are javascript compilers like .net framework jsc and Mozilla's Rhino. To say they don't exist or the internet wouldn't work is nothing more than ignorance. (not to mention javascript isn't even limited to internet)

Languages do evolve, that is why they get new versions. I've watched plenty of languages evolve. Perl wasn't even meant for internet and it became the backbone of it at one point. PHP is its own implementation but it started out as a Perl template module, it then evolved into its own language. And as its own language its doing a ton of things it wasn't suppose to do.

Which other language would have you be able to actually do work in 3 months from 0? I don't mean writing class assignments, I mean a job.

It would be rare for you to just throw javascript away and you know that... and over 95% of people will never get to the point of scaling at the level that it matters. You also should learn multiple languages anyways, and javascript is a good language to have.

By JSON you mean JavaScript Object Notation?

As applications move to the web, Javascript is becoming more and more important. Many Java apps communicate with javascript to run their desktop applications through the web. But in modern programming, there is little way around javascript. Even if sometimes you might write things in C# and its transpiled into javascript for you.

The security issues you mention have little to do with javascript as a language... and the workarounds you speak of are best practices. If you don't follow best practices, your application will be insecure. People learned that the hard way when Apple sold people on the concept that somehow all their stuff was magically secure. So developers ignored best practices and assumed "it just worked" leading to many exploits.

Mutation is the first step to evolution.

NodeJS is not limited to using Google's Javascript Engine, that is simply the most popular one. You can use any javascript engine. Not to mention javascript browser engines have evolved to facilitate applications. ChromeOS is pretty much all about webapps. And things like Electron became so widely used for desktop apps, so much so that even Microsoft uses it for Visual Studio Code.

Go Tell Microsoft, that they are doing it all wrong and that they should write it in C# instead as Javascript was not made for these things! I mean you would know better than the creator of C# right?

Who also made a Chakara engine work with NodeJS.

Most people who need to make a webserver would generally make a basic one used internally, if you are going to be serious about making one than you would need C/C++

Yes, but don't confuse specific task with "going to bring the garbage to the garbage can outside" with "landing a rocket on the moon".

Earlier version of Perl did not have that just an fyi, nor did many of the early languages. You simply wrote either in that language or in C/C++.

15. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    skills are things that can be acquired easily. if not then humanity would have died out a long time ago. its skill mastery that takes a long time.

believe it or not, the bulk of learning occurs in the first few months, after that everything slows down greatly as you end up trying to master what you have learned. skill acquisition is part of human adaptability.

now personally, I had to learn java, C++, C#, MySQL, HTML and CSS all side by side. each have a set of foundations that are easy to acquire, the reason it takes time to become an expert is because you eventually work on figuring out all the ways to use a language, and how best to use it for the required result.

with the way the marketplace is evolving, even if people don't plan to become programmers they should really know at least 1 or 2 basic languages as it makes them more valuable in the workplace and allows for creative troubleshooting. also the process of learning to code opens people up to being more flexible and creative within a predefined set of rules. these days saying you know perl/python/c#/javascript, is almost as good as saying you can speak english/german/spanish/russian etc

additionally, smaller companies cannot afford to hire people just to code for them. so going into content creation,marketing or PR etc with the ability to code is an additionally tick on your resume as you can pick up some of the technical work yourself. why hire a specialist when you know enough to get it done yourself.

16. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Photographic, video editing, sound editing/audio engineer.
    Good communication skill also give you some value

17. srrrahim

srrrahim A woman's heart, a needle under the sea

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm.. this thread is interesting
    <Watch silently>:cookie:

18. sleepingloli

sleepingloli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://bellard.org/quickjs/

> Can compile Javascript sources to executables with no external dependency.

I haven't used it for anything because I have no use for it (yet), but I can at least confirm that it works nicely on Linux.

EDIT:

I just read your most recent messages. I think you would like to know about tcc, a C interpreter (and compiler) from the same author as the JavaScript compiler I mentioned above.

Please don't mistake languages with implementations. They're completely different things.

19. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    What is this copywriting thing?

EDIT
    Found in the interwebs...
    https://kopywritingkourse.com/what-is-copywriting/

Myriadfold and Wujigege like this.
  20. vannn

vannn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Art commissions are ok if you're willing to chase trends/waifus and decent at figure drawing. For better paying illustration jobs you'll have to come with more skill/business acumen.