Recommendations Slave abolishing movement?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Neku, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Neku

Neku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    slavery is good, or is it a bad thing? I've never seen a protagonist who had their value as a modern person clashed against the society in the fantasy's world, then seek to change that value. I want to see protagonist burn cities while crying, "down with the monarchy! democracy is the right way!", "slaves have human rights! Slaves are human, we have to abolish slavery!" I want to see a revolutionary isekai protagonist against the world. I want him/her to create an underground movement to change the society's value.

Any protagonist like that? I'm not interested in sues where everything goes right for the protagonist, where with the slightest push from the protagonist, the society crumbles down. I want to see opposition too.

Imagine a hero, as he travels around the world to fight against the demon king, spread around about the story of his world's, where he talks about equality among men, where nobility is abolished, where human right in his world is respected, and where there are less death compared to this world.

Well. I want to see an SJW with his/her belief against the world's belief? At least those who believe for human rights is SJW too, right? even if the connotation of SJW worsened nowadays, I don't think that abolishing slavery is bad.

So... is there any protagonist who want to do what is 'right' instead of what is easy?

Nino Sasou, Kalione and Anra7777 like this.
  2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Neku likes this.
  3. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    Only hypocrites and insane people ever meet Truck-kun, sadly.

Diametric, Neku, Nino Sasou and 10 others like this.
  4. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neku likes this.
  5. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a good thing for the real world.

Neku and Nargol like this.
  6. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honest answer?
    I doubt you'd find such a story.
    The first problems are the questions of how slavery is practiced and how the society is structured.

Is slavery portrait as just "another aspect of life"? Then abolishing it makes little to no sense. You might argue about giving them some more rights/protection, but all in all it's not much different from today's corporate environments.

Is slavery portrait as cruel and inhumane? Then you either have an "evil empire" that practices it & that's part of the evil enemies anyway or there is barely no possibility to write a story, because:
    - The protagonist simply won't help them, instead opting to live a life in solitude or start a resistance.
    - OR they would slowly break apart seeing the nobles they just saved beating up their slaves for some minor thing
    - OR they'd just be a massive hypocrite
    - OR the ruling class would just try to kill them, since they're a threat to their way of life.

Either way, a protagonist who tries to fundamentally change society while also fighting an external threat has one of two qualities:
    1. They are a Mary Sue/Stu. Because everything works out
    2. They are a total failure as a savior, because the massive changes in society lead to revolutions, civil wars, etc. weakening the human forces too much to resist the demonic threat.

Neku, Nino Sasou, gheist1234 and 4 others like this.
  7. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Individuals that espouse against slavery are called abolitionists.
    I don't remember ever reading a story with a protagonist like that, but I would love to!

I disagree with the notion that slavery is similar to today's corporative environment, I think a story where the MC attempts to combat the evils of society would make a story way more interesting than one that just decides to assimilate himself into that environment.

Wouldn't it be more interesting to read a story where the main protagonist attempts to restructure the society he has been thrown into and then deals with the consequences of such a restructuring? Seeing him attempt to change ideas that are fundamental to their society, introducing radical new ideas and slowly chiseling away the might of the aristocracy sounds fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
    Nino Sasou, Neku, Kalione and 4 others like this.
  8. samjack

samjack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    7 Prodigies anime is doing something like that though its anime and manga. Not sure if it have a novel.

Neku likes this.
  10. SSMachine

SSMachine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I think it's quite hard. In a fantasy world where 1 person is basically a one-man-army, it's hard to abolish slavery. Unless the MC reaches the point where he can basically suppress the world. But I think Magic Industry Empire might fit.

Neku and Wujigege like this.
  11. Dragon Devourer

Dragon Devourer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd love to see that as well, but apparently even people from countries that aren't pluralistic just immediately give up and accept that the new world is 'correct' or that no matter how strong they get they can't change it or more realistically just get instantly lazy and give up because the author doesn't seen anything wrong with the concept to begin with, or even fetishizes it.

Neku, Kalione, Wujigege and 1 other person like this.
  12. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    How about improving the condition surrounding slavery?

Like you can't be so radical to change it just like that, but giving term and condition on how a good "slavery" can be

If yes, it will be Genjitsugisha

Ah and also MC actually change slavery into some kind of vocational school so every slave out there will be worth more than ever in the society~

Neku and Kex like this.
  13. keialpha

keialpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, one hundred years ago, there were plenty of thoughts just like that, and that was supposed to result in the communist revolution, which would lead to a giant step forward for mankind. How does that work out?

You can read the history of the rise of the Soviet Union for such a story. You can also read about the French Revolution, which has all the elements you want. Since those are history and real, anyone want to write a novel in that fashion better write something much more interesting, or it will just be a piece of propaganda.

Reality also showed that these revolutions merely replaced one form of oppression with a different form of oppression. You should really study history and politics more before trying to find answers in novels.

14. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said, it depends on how slavery is used in said society. In a relative "humane" setting of slavery, being a slave probably still sucks (highly depending on your master & the type of work you have to do), but so does living from paycheck to paycheck, not having enough money to take a break and not enough time to look for another job.

Radical and slowly are contradicting each other radically. History has shown us, that no matter how good a change was in hindsight, making it too fast leads to people who'd fear that their way of life is threatened. A protagonist may make changes in small areas (how they treat (their) slaves), etc. while just being looked at strangely by others, but trying to literally steal the slaves and servants of aristocrats everywhere? I can only imagine a few options:

1. The aristocrats wanted to change it themselves, but couldn't because of tradition or sth.:
    Hello Mary Sue/Stu

2. The aristocrats defend their lifestyle & attack/hunt the MC:
    See my previous comment about Civil War

3. The aristocrats are disposed of in a revolution:
    French Revolution (fantasy edition). Including many of the problems the FR had as well.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to write such a story. I'm just saying that it is impossible to deal with both threats (Changing society AND defending it against a demonic invasion) simultaneously without having your protagonist be a Mary Sue/Gary Stu.
    "United we stand, divided we fall" is true for a reason. Any existing internal conflict will weaken the resistance against external threats, if you can't let it rest until the external crisis is dealt with.

Neku and Kex like this.
  15. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slavery doesn't always mean the same thing. The popular idea of slavery these days is the type practised by the American South. But at various periods of history and countries, there were slaves who held more power than the supposed citizens of those countries. Two examples are the eunuchs who ran the bureaucracy at certain points of China's history and the Mamelukes of Turkey.

Slavery at certain periods of the Greek city-states was also different. Soldiers who lost in war were taken as slaves, but they could earn their freedom and even become citizens with the right to own property and vote.

There are also institutions of slavery that aren't called slavery. Serfs/peasants in many medieval countries were no different from slaves. During the great age of sailing ships, many sailors were kidnapped off the streets and forced to serve on ships. The system of forced labour in some prison/justice systems is nothing but slavery. Many older cultures have indentured servants where they're practically just slaves.

Neku, Kex, Harry and 2 others like this.
  16. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    To abolish slavery is something that isn't seen easy in a Novel, because in many Novel's slaves are Part of society. I'm sure that many of Slaves there in such novels became unjustly Slaves (good 30%+ i think) but in such Novels there are what is Called "Criminal Slaves" and "Debt Slaves", and if you grant such a huge amount of People (where such People are amongst them) Freedom then the MC is either in a World where there are only Unjustly Slaves or MC just wants the World to Burn. :blobpopcorn_cool:

Neku and Nightow1 like this.
  17. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lohwengk has a very insightful answer. Like there isn't one global culture, there really isn't a fixed standard slavery either. Some like the popularised Southern American slavery was very exploitive while some other forms were very similar to our modern day job fair, it all depends on time and location. The American one was particularly nasty because racism factored into it as well. Without that, it might have been milder but when you see others as inferior beings, moral standards tend to slip.

IIRC, in Athens, "as for the slaves and Metics of Athens, they take the greatest licence; you cannot just strike them, and they do not step aside to give you free passage", this was in the Constitution of Athens.

I think there was a case of a British Resident forcing abolition onto the old Malayan States, can't remember his name now but he literally gave freedom to every slave that ran to him and the Sultans assassinated him for it. To him, he was "freeing man from slavery", to the Malays he was robbing them of their workers and manpower.

To be really fair, the need for slaves only went away after industrialization, before that, the only power was biological and "manpower" was literally that. Production depended too heavily on slaves to be giving them away until machines took over the jobs.

Neku, lohwengk, Kex and 1 other person like this.
  18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    dood do you think such thing easy?
    if it change few thing then hero revolutionist, hero become mine! or some kingdom building is your best bet

sure if it forced by fist then look no further just learn history

SJW quite lucky cuz it exist on relative peaceful era go try it on dark age or middle age and let see who fall firts
    ok let lower it difficulty to discrimination just read Shield Bro then think what kind of character needed to change such discrimination~ or read hmm damn it I forget bunny no 13 novel name

such story require quite deep research to make cuz multiple chain action reaction thing

unless it is comedy then this cat think such story timeline perhaps around less than half century
    19637.png

Nightow1 and Neku like this.
  19. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    If there's no slavery then how is the protag gonna find a demi human to lose his virginity to?
    For me, i look at everyone as the same. No matter their birth. If i were transported and granted immense power by being X, i would become a tyrant. Everyone is equal, equally beneath me.

Neku, Nino Sasou and rijimon17 like this.
  20. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    The anti-monarchial and abolitionist ideas espoused during the 19th century didn't exclusively result in revolutions. The threat of revolution and a populist fervor against endemic inequality and perceived archaic systems of rulings enabled the switch from monarchies to democracies. While some countries did suffer under the revolutionary fervor of civil uprisings, many also peacefully transitioned to democracies. Abolishing slavery did also not, unlike in the united states, result in civil war across the globe. The idea against the sale and use of human as goods are as old as Socrates idea of natural slaves. Across the old nations of Europe, the abolitionist stood strong and was faring better in changing the perceptions around slavery. And one form of oppression did not exclusively result in circle of perpetual enslavement.

Well yes, it does highly depend on the setting. If the story centered around a feudalistic society as the majority of the novels do, then it would be highly improbable that the implementation of those radical ideas could succeed. The french revolution bit though, if that did happen in the fantasy world, it would just make those ideas easier to implement. As the threat of revolution was what forced the monarchies to switch to democracies. And no, radical and slowly does not clash. The abolitionist movement was slow, it only gained traction as the public became aware of what a clusterfuck and inhumane conditions the slaves were subjected to. Introducing a radical idea doesn't result in a civil war, many other factors need to be introduced before that happens.

But back to the task at hand, if you removed the idea of a demonic invasion and created a setting similar to the 18th or 19th-century Europe, then it could very well happen. It all depends on the setting, that is true. But it nevertheless could still make a great story. I wouldn't be able or even hope to create something like that though, as it would a long time to flesh out and make probable :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Neku and madmanthan21 like this.