Question Slowest Cultivation speed?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CosmicInsomniac, Sep 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently, I started re-reading Absolute Choice, and nearly 600 chapters later, Shi Xiaobai still hasn't broken past the first major realm, the Psionic Mortal Realm. To my knowledge, this is the longest it has taken for a character to break through one realm. In the novel, it's been less than two months, but for the main character to not have a major breakthrough in 600 chapters seems unnatural. I've even read novels where the MC has a crippled cultivation at the start, and even then they've usually broken through 2 or 3 realms by this point. However, I'm curious to see if there are any other novels where it takes this long for the main character to break through one realm, especially at the beginning where you don't need many cultivation resources or requirements like insight into the dao or need to carve a unique path.

2. xaist

xaist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the slowest but I remember in the beginning of Ze Tian Ji it took our MC, Chen Changsheng, around 100 chapters before he even started to cultivate.

3. ughughugh

ughughugh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you guys read Legend of the Cultivation God? Cultivation started at chapter 1300, so yeah.

4. Oreo

Oreo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though we do have to take into consideration that CCS's cultivation was one level higher than he thought he was in so it wasn't really slow imo xD

AMissingLinguist, Ratatoskr and xaist like this.
  5. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    ....He's a Cultivation God, but it takes 1/4th of the novel for him to start cultivating? This sounds awful, or at the very least sub-optimal, but I HAVE to read it now, since I can't imagine what he does during that time. I imagine that this makes most tropes of Xianxia novels inapplicable for the first quarter, since how can you do things like a tournament arc when the MC can't even compete in it due to low cultivation. This is going straight to the top of my Reading List

AMissingLinguist and Buffalo_QJ like this.
  6. hihi2k16

hihi2k16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't looked it up but strongest abandoned son is ment to be slow.

7. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ultimate Scheming System gets pretty bad after chapter 60ish. The mc started off with one of the fastest cultivation speeds that I’ve ever seen. Then the author slowed it down to an insane level and it takes forever to breakthrough a small realm. The story is nothing but pointless filler. The author just repeats the same lines in different ways and talks. The author may write 10 chapters about how good a chicken tastes. He could also spend 20 chapters fighting a random nobody the author made just to waste time.

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure the exact chapter but in Nightfall it took over 100 chapters before Ning Que started cultivating

9. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    Asians do love their food, the best animated parts on animes tend to be about food........

10. nuubman

nuubman Russia greatest love machine !

Reading List:
    Link
    Same author as ze tian ji...

11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that cause author has MC participate in this tournament that only those in the 1st realm can participate in? So now he is stuck powerleveling the character outside their realm. So much so he can fight people in highest realm while in lowest realm.

It kind of feels like those JP novels where MC is stuck at level 1 but beats people up that are max level anyways.

I haven't read that one but you can probably still do xianxia tropes. I mean if cultivation resources are actually super rare and they first increase their martial arts and only after getting to the peak of martial arts and finding some rare treasure do they start cultivating. I think many murim korean do that as well having mana actually be something rare that only the strongest people can use and most fighting is simply through skill. Then if they awaken mana, find a mana technique or find some treasure to awaken their mana, they would enter the top tier of martial arts.

This is even easier to pull off in xianxia cause they always love their multiple worlds. So they can do a whole realm on only martial arts then have them learn mana by the end and go to the next world.

Or if you want another example from JP lets say, think Hunter x Hunter or One Piece. How long did it take for MC to start cultivating Nen/Haki? There was plenty of story to write prior.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  12. nuubman

nuubman Russia greatest love machine !

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel some bias to jp novels?

13. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don’t think that is quite true, right? AFAIR, he just follows a different cultivation system the first 1300 chapters.

14. StAr EmPeRoR

StAr EmPeRoR Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just asking Is this still readable/worth the time to read?

15. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, IMO. It is one of the well written books out there. Unfortunately no translation, except for the first 100 odd chapters. I read a bit more than 2500 on lnmtl and stopped there as I felt I was losing too much in terms of story and hoped someone would pick it up in the future.

16. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then what the hell happened in those 1300 chapters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.