So, how do you create a perfect MC

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by ATrueStory, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is mainly inspired by this:forum.novelupdates.com/threads/perfect-mc.89863/
    so shoutout to @Negiomi

In that thread, OP asked what a perfect MC is and got some answers. As authors who are also readers, people who write characters are in the middle and is sandwiched what an MC to them and what the audience wants.

From my read of the thread, the perfect MC is a perfect character with scrupples and no downside. There is no point in creating a character arc since people want them to be consistent. And they better not have negative traits or be too cliche.

The question for authors is: can it be done?

If we want our MCs to be liked, what is the best formula? Should we use or not use tropes? And as an author, how many iterations of your MC you do before you consider it 'perfect'?

2. MaliMi

MaliMi The Cookie Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    Perfect MCs are overrated. I personally enjoy those that have some defects and experience character growth.

Westeller, Naruin, Reak and 1 other person like this.
  3. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say that it depends on the type of story. A perfect MC can be entertaining but you probably don't want to write them in a long story.

MaliMi, asriu, Reak and 1 other person like this.
  4. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    What does perfect even mean? The better question is, how do you make a character suited to the story you're trying to tell

Viburnum, Westeller, Irie and 3 others like this.
  5. Despairing Prince

Despairing Prince Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a hard question XD the perfect MC XD When I write MC's I try to imagine myself as the MC and what I would do. But is it perfect? Nah it is not perfect. By the way I am a terrible writer XD I do average actually but still. Writing the MC as yourself might seem perfect but to me it isn't perfect. What is really fun is imagining all sorts of MC's. Why go for a perfect one when you can just write one who can grow or shrink? To me my mc can rise or fall and it won't matter much to me because it is the journey of how the MC changed. If your mc is evil or good or is just neutral then try to write it like that XD There are many types of Evil, good, and neutral things in the world or whatever world you created so just go with whatever yo think is best XD I told you how I try to imagine myself as the mc but I also try to imagine myself as just a side character interacting with the MC. Who would want to read an inconsistent mc is my feeling so I try to have the MC's change when I write be gradual. Well to me a perfect MC is someone who isn't perfect. I don't know how to have our MC's liked or not because to me as long as I'm satisfied with the mc I write then that is enough. Hopefully I answered your question tho I don't think I gave a good answer XD I just thought this post was interesting because I've thought about it myself on a few occasions.

MaliMi likes this.
  6. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing I can think of when imagining a perfect mc is a Mary Sue. No matter what the character you created isn't gonna be perfect as you yourself aren't so I don't think you can perfectly convey what perfection is

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    By perfect do you mean a flawless MC? or a perfect MC as a character?

If you are talking about as a character, as others have said it totally depends on the genre you are trying to write. You can come up with the best xianxia character but put them in a mahou shoujo setting and well yeah...

If you are talking about a flawless MC, the best way to do that is to talk the least about the character and focus more on side characters. So the MC would be an observer. Because the more you interact with anything, the more flaws we will end up seeing.

On that note, I do 0 iterations of my MC. Because my MC is based on the plot with a mix of a few traits. If an MC isn't based on the story, your gonna spend a lot of time either fighting with your MC or forcing events.

Overall, if you are writing first person, MC should be fun. If you are doing a self insert, probably as little personality as possible. 3rd person should be interesting from an observer point of view. But again, this is too generic advice and you need to know the story.

PS There is nothing wrong with tropes, its how it is done.

ATrueStory likes this.
  8. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    A great man once said"there is no Truth only interpretations" different people see their perfect mc differently.

ATrueStory likes this.
  9. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No such thing as the perfect MC. You're either writing a character you yourself like or you're writing to the subjectivity of your readers, which is impossible.

Even with 2 or 3 readers than can be differing opinions on how an MC should act. Jump that number to 200. 2,000. 20,000. Can you still make a character that's universally considered "perfect"?

Some people actually like the dense MC that doesn't realize a girl strip teasing him as seduction.
    Some people like an overbearing MC that will constantly pursue a girl until they are won over.
    Some people like a cruel MC that will ambush and rape her until she likes it.

And then there's fighty MC. Some like the ex machina of getting the perfect answer to every problem as they come like a video game character. Some like the MC to lose so they can learn from the experience.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  10. Boredgasm

Boredgasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans, and the imagination, are inherently flawed, so “perfection” can only be relative. The plot would have to be really interesting to engage readers in such a story.

MaliMi likes this.
  11. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you make all perfect MC from the start it will imply he will never change, which in turn will be boring and detrimental to the plot. Creating compelling MC is not that difficult.. give him some flaws and bit the shit out of him so he has to struggle. Make him grow as a person through the series of events in the novel.

ATrueStory and MaliMi like this.
  12. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. Sherlock Holmes is a static character, and he is so captivating that hundred of millions of people are his fan.
    Then you have Frodo and Sam, they have a long character arcs that develop their personality and carry us, the reader along with their journey.

Both types are good, but I believe that only by writing a good villain that the MC can truly shine.
    Villain here can also mean challenges, meaning the circumstances that MC has to overcome(his past, his personality, his surrounding,...)

13. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    By making him vulnerable

14. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    The perfect MC is an MC your target audience can relate too that's it. Or an MC that makes you happy.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I like systematic thing despite being lazy one
    1st I must decide what kind of story I want to make
    2nd blsblabla

too long too lazy to write
    clear action-reaction, cause-effect

16. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    R u asking what is a perfect MC or the ' perfect MC ' . Both have differences and their own qualities. The latter means that the MC is a perfect being ( I always find that stupid ) which usually involves the trope of them not having any common sense or whatnot , they r the best option if u r writing a spoof or a comedy and shooting tropes down but they never work out in a serious setting because they r : 1 unrelatable ; 2 unrealistic ; 3 never taken seriously
    The first perfect MC is a VERY Broad category ( and that's an Understatement ) . Everyone has their own version of perfect MC , these don't have to be perfect beings they just need to tick mark all the check boxes , eg. My personal perfect MC is someone with brains who uses them but doesn't spend all the time scheming and can get down and dirty with a realistic view of the world and not a sappy dumbass, Male because I relate to it more , powerful ( OP or not is optional as long as brains isn't ). A guy not after authority but power itself and is not a pussy. Now these r what I would consider as MY perfect MC, but just as easily it can be what one considers the worst kind , their really is no answer for a perfect MC it's just what is liked more than the other and what story u r writing

17. roata11

roata11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    with my experience reading comment in this forum i have too say:

MC WHO F**K HIS HAREM

to me perfect MC is someone who part of the story world, not someone out of place

18. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    1. The used of “perfect” should be omitted
    2. No human has no flaws, should do the MC
    3. e.g Hamlet by WS
    "Hamlet is melancholy, bitter, and cynical, full of hatred for his uncle's scheming and disgust for his mother's sexuality. A reflective and thoughtful young man who has studied at the University of Wittenberg, Hamlet is often indecisive and hesitant, but at other times prone to rash and impulsive acts." ​

19. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    The perfect MC that i could create is the one with similar aspect to myself so i can imagine what will he choose in the plot based on my choice

20. Raison D

Raison D Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what i know about perfect MC is the one who can satisfy most reader and attached into it. it doesn't matter about genre or background. if you like the MC action and grow attached to the MC then is Perfect MC for that story. well if most reader think MC A is perfect for the story doesn't mean you cant object that, but still quantity matter.

for example i think Grid in Overgeared is perfect MC for the story, when i start reading Overgeared i think what a shitty MC this was. then before i know it i already reach latest chapter then i think "Do You Know God Grid". and i know there is still someone who still think Grid is still Shit. but what can i do? i grew attached to Grid character, when start from shit into gold.