Discussion So, I got this Idea.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Dokja6116, Jun 23, 2021.

?

Do you think this could improve MTLs?

1. Yes.

12.5%
  2. No.

31.3%
  3. MAYBE.

56.3%
  1. Dokja6116

Dokja6116 not suspicious

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, when you wanna read that one novel, but it doesn't have many chapters or it's only got like 1 or 2 of em'
    Well, what do we do then, we read the MTL ones, and let's be honest, they're not the best-translated novels you can find, and understandably so.
    But, I've found this tool/extension called 'Grammarly' that makes writing easy and fixes grammatical mistakes and suggests word/sentence replacements if they don't make sense.
    And then it hit me, why not just use Grammarly to fix the grammatical mistakes and the likes from MTLs and see how well it does?
    But of course, you need to get like a monthly payment thingy, and obviously, I can't get that cause I'm broke.
    Dunno just wanted to get that out there and wanted to get you guys' opinion on it.
    I know some of you may find this stupid and all, and it's fine, you can call me stupid.

2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    So do you copy paste the MTL onto a Google Doc somewhere and then use Grammarly on it? :hmm:

3. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    Did grammarly auto correct the mistakes in the text?

I thought it would just high lighted it...

Well, I'm using the free one...hehehe

4. Dokja6116

Dokja6116 not suspicious

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, I was thinking of using it on site, like google's
    A lot of manual work I guess?

5. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's only for reading, honestly, doing something like this is so much a hassle.

But of your gonna translate it, I dunno...I just tried using grammarly once.

6. vannn

vannn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might make MTL more readable but it wouldn’t fix mistranslations, it would depend highly on the quality of the mtl.

asriu and babybb like this.
  7. Glass Shard

Glass Shard 【Fʅσσϝ Hυɳƚҽɾ】【Cαƚ Lσʋҽɾ】【⚓️】

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly feel like it would be a pain you have to select all the highlighted words and press the change one (which would be lots as it Mtl) . Also it even highlights cuz some words don’t have proper coma and such. Unless you are persistent on only reading books which have correct grammar structures

8. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard of Grammarly. I'm not sure if it works well.

9. Deleted member 363076

Deleted member 363076 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Might as well copy & paste to MS Word, they too have the 'review' grammar option.

10. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    for Chinese mtl:
    grammar is not the main issue, it's the wrong translation of words, and I'm sure it applies for other languages too
    I remember hearing somewhere that there was a translation tool that saved definitions of certain words to translate but idk what it's called

grammarly doesn't sound like a bad idea, but from what I remember, the grammar in mtl is not that offensive

11. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    from what im getting at... isnt that too much of a hassle just to read a chapter?

i mean, by the looks of it, i need to copy paste a ton, click a ton and choose words wisely.
    basically im spoiling myself by doing that before ive read the whole chapter.

my brain wont work well for a few hours reading unedited mtl but hey its better than doing lots of stuff.

12. Dokja6116

Dokja6116 not suspicious

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, I don't really use MTL sites per se but rather get on a website that has raw chapters, copy-paste it, and translate it on google translate.
    I know, I can get on an MTL site and all, but ya, I don't, so that's on me
    The quality is surprisingly good, it's at the level where you can understand what it's trying to convey and that's good enough 4 me.
    What I find with most of the ones I read is that they actually have average grammar, and of course with idioms tho, they don't really get across but for the rest of the chap, it's bearable.
    But the thing is, some of the sentences are structured really badly, and it gets annoying to read after every few paragraph, and this is where Grammarly comes in.
    I occasionally use text-to-speech extensions when I'm busy and can't be bothered to read them.
    Honestly tho, it's just personal preference and what I like to use.:blobxd:

13. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might help with basic errors, but I think it would mess it up more when it comes to the random pinyin scattered around. I wouldn’t mess with it, it might fix one thing while making a new problem. But it’s a good thought~

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    grammar tool helpful on instance you use mtl as assistant
    because on pure mtl on some circumstances there just plain wrong translation