Question So, I made a parody of a cliché in Korean web novels. What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fellyciach, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Fellyciach

Fellyciach Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to test the water before diving all in into this project. So, please check out the first chapter and tell me what you think.

Synopsis:
    Are you tired and sick of the cliché tropes in most Korean web novels? Well then, this is not the book for you. I'm gonna take every single overused plot, character, and trope on Korean web novels from an ordinary office worker getting isekai as a villainess, abusive family, misunderstanding, MC being saint or God-chosen or whatever, ML is either cold Northern-Duke (because obviously other territory doesn't exist except the North) or crown prince, and of course, ML have to have black hair and red eyes, etc, etc, and then mash it into one dreadful, yet hilarious parody.

NOTE: This is only a parody, no need to take it seriously. I'm also an avid reader of Korean web novels myself. So, please keep in mind that this book isn't intended to insult anyone, but to lightly make fun of the way most Korean web novels are written.

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/33775...zc472h57b4id2btc4+u1rje23avplyospeund41nvq8gs

Orris and dailily like this.
  2. Orris

Orris 『 最 強 ⑨ ~ 』

Reading List:
    Link
    *think think* what's this? :blobwob::blobwob::blobwob:

I think the chapter was really funny, it had all the kr villainess tropes blatantly listed (everyday kr female office worker, also an orphan, also miserable and poor and MISERABLE and POOR, reads webnovels, webnovel is about a Northern Duke, why is it always a Northern Duke who rules over some sorry pile of dirt in the cold wintry north and defends against demons/barbarians and starvation wtfaefuwdrwnngedrfreukjfcvcdvn :blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip:).
    tip: you can increase immersion if you change Mr. Truck to Truck-nim :meowgrin:::bloblove:::meowgrin:::bloblove::

you said "project" so ill write my evaluation of its potential as an actual webnovel: i think it's really good as a satirical piece that can work as a oneshot or a short story, but i dont think it would hold up well as a running series because it lampshades too much. Overtly lampooning common kr wn tropes puts the focus on mocking them but at the same time it detracts from any worthwhile world building character depth and story immersion. the main character right now doesnt have an actual personality, not because its a self-insert but because she is too self-referential. Everything she thinks and says is meta-humor and akin to the distilled reaction of a reader irritated by copy paste plots. right now, the story is like a face slapping scene... but its like a face slapping scene every paragraph.

its okay if the story isnt meant to be serious, but the issue is that the story doesnt take itself seriously at all since every part of the story is supposed to be a joke. without a fundamental baseline of seriousness, the audience wont ever be emotionally invested in its characters or care about any constructed narrative because youve given them no reason to care about them and just about every reason to not care about them.

so if you wanted to make this longer than a short story, id advise toning the meta-humor down a lot, and make it subtler. the occasional jab at a trope can elevate the story if used properly and sparingly, but right now i only see this as satire and i cant see this as an actual story :meowflower:

commoners dont have surnames but the maid does, foolish mistake immersion broken day ruined 0/10 ban yourself from wattpad smh

Tarawa likes this.
  3. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your feedbacks. Don't worry, I only plan to make this as a short story. Probably 10 chapters at most. I made this as a joke. I'm currently writing an angst story, which is the complete opposite of this. But I thought it would be fun to write a parody as a side project.

Well, about the maid. I purposely gave her a nice name to show that not every maid in rofan should be given a generic name. Lol... Oh, I considered your input so I changed her name into Seraphina only. Without last name.

Orris likes this.
  4. Orris

Orris 『 最 強 ⑨ ~ 』

Reading List:
    Link
    *naruhodo Orris noises* :blobwob::blobwob::blobwob:

no! commoner maid should be named commoner maid names! :blobcat_rawr::blob_catflip::blobtorch:

5. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to see the comparison of my writing style, you might check out the first chapter of my main story project "I'm an Extra in a Tragedy Novel." It's an angst story that combines regression, reincarnation and isekai into one. I literally have to dumbing down my writing for this parody.

Orris likes this.
  6. Orris

Orris 『 最 強 ⑨ ~ 』

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i read chapter 1 and the style is really different

i didnt know there was a theme song accompanying it so my experience might have been different because a different song was on in the background :blog-uwu-reading::blobsweat_2::meowflower:

Fellyciach likes this.
  7. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    What song did you have in mind? Hahaha...

Orris likes this.
  8. Orris

Orris 『 最 強 ⑨ ~ 』

Reading List:
    Link
    it wasnt a song i had in mind for the chapter, i just had it playing in the background

humanity's international anthem :blobsmile: