So let's talk about Patreon: What do you do?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Relhak, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Relhak

Relhak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I've written about 50'ish chapters (almost finishing my first volume), and I'm planning to start uploading as soon as I get some feedback from my beta readers.

So, a bit of background info to get into the topic.
    I hope that this work, which I've spent countless hours on, can bring a tiny bit of income. Yes, I know it's a taboo topic, asking your readers to pay for chapters. I mean, no one wants to become the next QI/WN. But let's admit it, we need to eat, shit, sleep, repeat. And this requires money. Let's also get it out of the way, that no one wants to support an author that they don't know. This is why I'm planning to release the first 25 chapters slowly or so to the public, and then offer advanced chapters on pay.

But that's what I planned, but I have no idea if that's the best way to go about things.

I'd love to hear from other authors on their idea. How do you support your writing? What are the good and bad practices? Should readers pay monthly or per creation? Do you have any advice for aspiring authors to help them leverage Patreon (or Paypal, or something else entirely) to the fullest?

TL;DR: How do you support your writing, especially if you're a new author?

Chafalleiro likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    For starters, ads would pay you more than Patreon. It takes a very long time to gain loyal readers.
    I would even advice uploading some chapters on Webnovel and Royalroad just to get publicity to your main website that will have ads
    Best of luck to you.
    PS I run my own ad network so I can help you with ads.

3. Relhak

Relhak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha - great. I might just do that. :)

4. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    How long would your story be? Do you have any titles before writing this? Any followers yet?

If the story is more than 200 chapters and you say no to at least one of the question, don't bother setting up Patreon, it would take absurd luck to make money without any headstart.

Just keep writing until you gain some fame first. Don't plan to make it big, just do what you enjoy until people started liking what you write THEN you can make a living out of it.

Spnagi and Relhak like this.