Discussion So much yaoi...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ColdKarma, Apr 17, 2022.

1. ColdKarma

ColdKarma Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened to NU?
    All the well rated novels these days are yaoi
    and I know I can just filter it out
    but i feel like nowadays all people will translate is yaoi and mass produced cliche patriotic Chinese novels.
    I guess I’m just annoyed people won’t translate novels I enjoy.
    Also why do women like watching two males f*ck.

Maybe I’m just homophobic
    But I’m not scared of gay people
    I just don’t read gay novels

2. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't read it then.

dailily and Szara like this.
  3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a setting which you can use to filter them out. That just leaves the forum posts, but those are usually pretty obvious.

4. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes but since they are basically only translating yaoi, we the other folk don't get any good fantasy/action/BG, especially BG from male perspective.

I remember when they were translating LOTM and bunch of other bangers but now every translator hopped on the yaoi trend.

animefan217 likes this.
  5. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty easy to filter them out , just exclude the Yaoi and Shonen-ai tags.
    Some groups like CG only translate Bl because they are Bl focused , other groups might only do Kr romance novels or Cn Cultivation novels.

6. 1573227

1573227 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To answer your question of why do women like watching two males f*ck.
    I personally would say it because I enjoy it.
    I am not speaking for the people who read bl but, there are people like me who exist and doesn't want to read cliche novels with plots with female leads that have these golden fingers and evil white lotus stepsister and stepmother, or a dog blood rebirth plot. Another thing is that whenever there is a straight novel with a male protagonist, most of the time harem would be involved. While I admit that not all novels are like this but most of the straight novels that I come across are, I'm not denying that bl novels don't have those but most don't.

dailily, noula, missluna and 4 others like this.
  7. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Feel same about cultivation novels as well

8. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It does feel like yaoi is really popular lately. Maybe yaoi cultivation novels are the new It genre like villainess and isekai harem novels were before.

dailily likes this.
  9. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like this doesn't make a lot of sense, since most translators that translate BL would not be translating BG from male perspective, or those other genres, if they weren't translating BL.

The most similar genre to BL (or danmei, since that's the main thing people are jumping on these days) would be BG romance that you'd find on female-targeted sites like jjwxc.

Similarly, the example you gave (LOTM) was translated by Webnovel. I dunno about you but I'm pretty sure Webnovel isn't known for translating BL. Although there is some, probably. (After checking, there are exactly 6 of them on there, and they're under the female lead category for some reason. smh)

But I do feel there's too much danmei around lately. I click a tag to see which ones are the highest rated with that tag, and they all seem to be danmei.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    missluna, Blitz, Iloverabbits and 3 others like this.
  10. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a bunch of horny Fujoshi, ignore it and keep scrolling.
    I like to play a game where I guess if a novel is BL smut or BG smut based on the title.

11. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    Filter it out and it won't seem so oppressive.
    I've been on here long enough now to remember when there was practically none, much to my dismay. All I could read was terrible harem Isekai or neverending cultivation power fantasies. Even decent BG romance was few and far between.

Ride the wave long enough and it will balance out again, hopefully with more diversity overall for everyone.

I'm hoping for Korean dramas to be the next wave. Most of the ones I've picked up have this wonderful balance of adventure, drama, and romance. The women are genuinely smart and the men have actual emotional range. Something most of the tropey drivel here and elsewhere severely lacks.

missluna and 1573227 like this.
  12. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  13. ColdKarma

ColdKarma Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So your saying women just skip the scenes and read the novel bc it’s different?

not tryna sound aggressive but this doesn’t really answer my question.
    Let me rephrase again
    If you are a women wouldn’t it make sense to like watching women and men or women and women making love?
    if you are a woman
    And there are no women in the equation how do you like it?
    Also the face slapping and jade beauty thing
    is the trademark of Chinese web novels
    And if you wish to read a novel without that I recommend you read webnovels with out the word web.
    We seem to be forgetting those exist.
    Don’t read a webnovel expecting to see what normal novels have because you will be disappointed.

Exactly my feelings

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, rather than existing translators "hopping on the yaoi trend" I would more assume that there has mostly been new translators popping up that focuses on BL.
    Just because there are more BL being translated now doesn't necessarily mean that there are actually less of other stories being translated than before.

15. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh. There was a thread on why they start BL. The interesting answer on it is that the person is not fine with all the bad trope toward the girl mc. But when the mc is male even violance is fine..

16. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be far happier if I could filter the CN novels like I do with yaoi.

17. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what you mean by this in general ,
    I'm a woman that likes and enjoys consuming Bl content, but that doesn't limit me to reading BG or GL. If you are saying why woman are reading bl when there are no woman in Bl , let me ask why dudes like to read Gl ? They get twice the thing they like and removes this random male character that has more the you do out of the equation
    From what I understand ,
    A guy might like BG harem with male Pov because he will feel like the harem protag
    A guy might also like GL with no Male characters because he likes woman and more woman won't harm him , but if they add a guy the male reader might dislike

BL is targeted towards woman ( mostly ) Most of the Bl on NU are translated from jjwxc . A site that mostly features BG romance with female pov and Bl novels. On the other side Qidian , which has a mostly targeted towards male , with themes revolving power , riches and woman.

The white lotus , actually evil inside trope isn't owned by CN webnovels . Web novels and western novels aren't all that different ,writing styles might differ but some of the Kr action with Male MC do write a western fantasy style.

If you don't like BL Don't like , Don't read , Don't talk about it

dailily, noula, missluna and 5 others like this.
  18. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    You could also try translating yourself. Or MTL-ing.

With all the online dictionaries, translator support groups, and Google Translates out there, it's in no way impossible, even if you don?know the language.
    This is also an extremely narrow, stereotypical representation of BL. There's a lot of BL that has a great plot, which is what a lot of people I know read for. Your representation is like saying all BG romance is smut (it's not), why do people read that?
    Those are different translators with different interests...? I'll translate BL & BG QT, but even if I stopped putting my energy into translating those, I would never in a million years start translating action/fantasy. Because it's not in my interests. Most BL translators are the same, they won't just start translating level-up novels even if they don't translate BL.

It's like saying, "man, there's not enough BL being translated, it's all because those BG translators keep translating BG which I'm not interested, BG sucks"

...which, that's kinda just a lol

dailily, noula, missluna and 8 others like this.
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    For the record, the majority of GL readers are women. The primary target audience of GL are also women, as GL is usually very similar to shoujo, but with a girl substituting the male lead... Kinda similar to how some BLs follow a very shoujoish template, but with a male protagonist substituting the female protagonist.

... Unless you're talking about hentai, of course. In hentai the target audience are men, since its goal is just showing a bunch of skin and stuff instead of being a shoujo-like story.

20. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Scarcity is one of the reason less new action/fantasy chinese novel. There are not that many good quality novel. Either someone already translate it or licensing issue. Example is current QI, they have big library of raw novel from several sites they own. But if you look at trial read/new novel, you could see those novels are from other sites.

missluna likes this.