Spoiler So What If You’ve Been Reborn

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by alexfilia, Aug 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    And i came across this novel while i was looking through @winter-t 's awesome rec list <3

Synopsis: Destined to have a life of misfortune, MC was pushed into a pond at the age of 3 and became a fool, unable to make new memories. At the age of 6, he was pushed over a cliff, but survived by landing on the barrier of a hidden valley. After reading his fate and seeing how his family neglected him, the man tasked to return him (ML) decides to give him a chance to change his destiny, so MC grows up in that hidden valley of cultivation experts. But unbeknownst to MC, multiple people have been ‘reborn’ as their past selves and are trying to kill him.

That makes you wonder why everyone is trying to kill a 6 year old with no memories *.* (this sounds fun <3)

pokes @scriptor @LaDyViL @kiara8 @readerz @krrizis @Kittsune @Shem @Toyo @Hotato @Novel otaku desu @Matsurika @kly @sinyueliang @SnowTime @ludagad @Luen @DarkBlue @Yuslia
    @clear @dustmite @smr85 @lalalyly @Cohran

Mikaa, yfndsh, Einon and 21 others like this.
  2. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhhh, one with a lot of mysteries... I should go read it later

//totally not procrastinating. Cough :blobpeek:

Einon, cheerydandan, kly and 3 others like this.
  3. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    Imma go read it~
    Thanks~

Pb, kly and Novel otaku desu like this.
  4. winter-t

winter-t Casual Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still currently binge reading this, it is seriously so good. If you want something w/ an amazing plot, read this. All my recs <3

The 'reborn' people are trying to kill MC b/c of what MC was like the first time around. Most of them were either killed by MC or people w/ a grudge against MC. They don't play much of a role until MC's in his teens and leaves the hidden valley. The truth of MC's last life is a mini mystery in the first half, and you find out in pieces exactly how those people came to hate MC and what MC did. It's done really well.

This story has my strong recommendation and a large part is that it's kind of two stories layered on top of one another. I would be willing to read an entire novel about MC's first life b/c it is seriously a tragic anti-hero story that could stand on its own, but then you have the 2nd time around layered on top of that, and it creates this really engaging contrast.

It's actually really funny and ironic how the people trying to kill MC actually made MC's life better this time around. It's a really refreshing take on the 'going back in time to change the past' trope b/c "knowing the future" doesn't guarantee things will magically work out better in your favor, especially when you have multiple people running around changing the future to suit their own needs.

Anyways, I'm going back to reading. If you want spoilers for the 1st half, I'll come back later and answer what I can.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    MiserableSOUL, mmem, yfndsh and 31 others like this.
  5. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    .what is the relationship between the mc and the ml like? (is he one of the people changing things?)

kly and Novel otaku desu like this.
  6. Kittsune

Kittsune Just your everyday Lurking Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    So ML raised MC? How far apart in age are they? What incidents did the 'reborn' people do that made MC's life better?

Mikaa, kly and Novel otaku desu like this.
  7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good bait desu!

Einon, kly and Novel otaku desu like this.
  8. winter-t

winter-t Casual Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    MC and ML's relationship is really sweet and based on trust and understanding. They share the same predestined fate/type of life they're meant to have, and them meeting early on is the reason they were able to mutually save each other from that. I'm not really sure what the best translation for the term is since it's not a not a concept that's seen in western literature, but both of them were 'destined' to have a life of misery and misfortune (relatives all die, betrayed by friends, etc), but it's not really something that's 100% set in stone and the misfortune can be overcome.

ML's stronger than MC, but MC doesn't live under his wing and that's an aspect I really liked. He looks after MC but also trusts MC to manage on his own. They both understand the other extremely well, so when MC has worries he tries to hide, ML is able to tell and make MC talk it out with him, and vice versa. Their relationship feels very equal, and while they don't switch in the novel itself (EDIT: I take that back, they've switched), it's so well balanced that it would make no difference who topped. I actually thought MC would top before they got together haha. It's rare to see that in bl and I personally enjoy this kind of dynamic a lot.

ML doesn't have memories of his past life, but he does find out what happened during MC's past life.

They're...300+ years apart, technically. But this is xianxia, where people stop growing older after reaching a certain cultivation point, and when they do get together, MC's around 60 (though he still looks 17-18-ish). Age difference in xianxia doesn't mean much tbh.

This novel does a really great job with butterfly effects imo. MC has anterograde amnesia, and in his first life, his family treated him terribly b/c they all thought he was retarded and he grew in that kind of home. MC became contracted to a Flame of Stone on accident, and when that went out of control, his entire family was burned alive.

His cousin is one of the people who were reborn, so he tried to kill MC when he was still 6 by pushing him down a cliff, which led to MC meeting ML early on. ML saw how MC shared the same 'life of misfortune' that he had, and seeing how his family didn't even care that MC was "lost", decided to raise MC and introduce him to cultivation so he can change that fate. MC becomes ML's junior brother.

So now, instead of growing up miserably, confused, and shunned, MC grew up happily (for the most part lol) in the hidden valley w/ a bunch of cultivation experts. His time there was both hilarious (b/c of the cultivation experts lol~) and heartwarming (b/c ML took really good care of him and also helped him find ways around his memory loss problem).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    MiserableSOUL, XYJ, mmem and 30 others like this.
  9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Aah, it sounds so wholesome~ :3. And yet it doesn't grab my curiosity enough to MTL it... I really wish to read a translation of it tho xDD. Thank you for the spoilers :cookie:.

kly and Novel otaku desu like this.
  10. krrizis

krrizis Runs Ainushi, Read18 & Chaleuria

Reading List:
    Link
    Loving the description of the story. It'll likely be a challenge to write the MC's bit though if his mentality is stuck as a child. In fact, I'll probably give props to the translator for being able to translate it.

kly likes this.
  11. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    Another interesting novel~ damn i need to start thinking of Reading completed ones.. so many on standby

SI Mashiro, Raizendeville and kly like this.
  12. Novel otaku desu

Novel otaku desu 『R0 Trickster』『Sleeping Fox』『Desucchi』

Reading List:
    Link
    uh oh..... this seems fun :cookie::cookie::cookie:

kly likes this.
  13. smr85

smr85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why the mc mentalty stuck on childhood? Is this related to his sickness?

kly likes this.
  14. HuskyBaby

HuskyBaby Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THIS SEEMS REALLY GOOD I WANT TO READ
    if only it wasn't yaoi

kly likes this.
  15. insteadofdeath

insteadofdeath Faith

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh. How does he deal with his anterograde amnesia? That's the most fascinating part to me.

Loni4ever and kly like this.
  16. winter-t

winter-t Casual Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    When he was pushed into a pond, he hit his head on a stone, and then when the servant "rescued" him, they bashed his head with a stone a few more times. He's lucky to have survived, but he stopped being able to make memories from then on.

The romance here is milder than in The Founder of Diabolism tbh. It's very plot focused, and the romance aspect isn't in your face at all. I wouldn't even call it yaoi b/c it doesn't go into r18 territory, so if you wanted to ignore the romance aspect, it's entirely doable. But if that bothers you too much, well, everyone has their own tastes.

There's this art that ML uses on him when he's little that helps. It's kind of a, knowledge giving thing? But like, it only gives common sense knowledge and not really "memories". So even though MC has no memories past the age of 3, he still able to, for example, recognize that he's no longer 3 and have the common sense of how the world works.

When he's little, ML makes him carry a jade pearl that can record his surroundings, but it only has the capacity to record a single day's worth of events so he has to use a new one every day. Even though his memory still resets, but there's a record of all his lost "memories" that he can go back and look through in the future. It only records what happens and not what MC feels/thinks, but at least it's something.

Later, ML steals a pearl for him that can record for up to 10 thousand years. MC absorbs that into his body so the pearl then becomes where all his "memories" are stored. After his memory resets, all he has to do is look through the pearl's contents to know what happened, and it's pretty convenient b/c it's essentially 24 hour 360 degree video surveillance that he uses to his advantage more than once. Of course, it does have its drawbacks.

MiserableSOUL, XYJ, mmem and 27 others like this.
  17. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    The ML is treating MC quite good

18. winter-t

winter-t Casual Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    ML has a really tragic past and had lost his will to live until MC came along. Taking care of MC is pretty much most of ML's motivation, and a bunch of things he does later (like taking over territories and gaining power) is for the sake of keeping MC safe. ML treats MC extremely well, but he's not forceful and respects MC's wishes and freedom, which I really, really like.

19. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    If you really want to read it, you can try to imagine the MC is female. After some struggling, you can switch a 'he' for a 'she' as you read...and ignore the parts that get more anatomical... That's how a friend of mine read BL manga for the first time, then she discovered it wasn't really a big deal. Back when I was reading Harry Potter slash fiction and was still too pure for words like dick and cock, I went through the trouble to copy-paste the whole text in Word then replace all those words with the more acceptable 'member'. Ah, memories... Reminds me I wasn't always trash. Anyway, as long as you want to read, you can find a way :blobowoevil:.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    XYJ, mmem, lailai and 19 others like this.
  20. Misaki Yata

Misaki Yata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but is the MC cured in the end or something or does live with the ten thousand pearl thing? and also what was the ending?? like was it happy or sad or something?? and do all those a-holes that tried to kill the MC get done in by MC/ML in the end????