Resource Some thoughts from a professional (no, not me)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Fluffums, Feb 7, 2018.

?

Is the advice in the blog post helpful?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, not really.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Maybe?

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Wan!

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: I am not a translator, nor do I have any involvement in translation projects other than enjoying them on release. I am also not affiliated with aroduc, aside from really liking his work on a number of game translations. The article I will link is technically written about visual novel projects, but the advice applies to any translation project, or rather, it applies to any project whatsoever, school, work, for fun, any of them.

http://tenka.seiha.org/2018/02/translation-is-the-art-of-failure/

And why am I making a thread for the blog post? It's full of excellent pointscute dog girls, that's why. It brings up a lot of things to consider for anyone working on projects, regardless of what role they playmy mood when I look at them. If I were to sum up the blog post and the two twitter links contained in that post in one word, it would have to be CommunicateWan.

Side note: if you do think he makes good points, don't forget to check out his other posts tagged Deep ThoughtsFanservice.

AliceShiki, NekoMK2 and Astaroth like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR, i prefer fapservice (yes it's a site), anyway i thought i'd reply and give my fellow ero researcher some face. :blobsalute:

p.s. 'Wan true love' :blobnosebleed:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Senros, doomeye1337 and Reright like this.
  3. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically damn the human free will who changes their mind.

4. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing I find agreeable with the post is the "Communication" about "don't be a ghost".
    While the rest..........The rant seem like something a set of rules of a Company Chief set up and force the workers to follow. But because it's too hard and strict or seem bothersome so they don't, but then the Chief don't want to bother with it so he/she just keep the anger down.
    The "Newbie" and "Hobbyist" would find it hard to follow the other 2.

5. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it sound like that to you? His position is "guy who has to fix things when other people break them" so he has a good reason for getting upset when people ignore the rules. People who do everything by themselves don't have to worry about the second point, but once you have, say, an editor or two, maybe someone helping run the site, maybe TLC or proofreader and whatnot, it's a pretty good idea to have some basic rules everyone agrees on to make things run smoother. Things like "what kind of English do we use?" and "how do we implement TL/ED notes?" so there's some kind of consistency.

And the third point is explicitly useful for newbies (IMO) - it's basically saying "keep at it regularly even if you only do a little a time". Useful, because an entire chapter's wall of text can be intimidating at first, but if you just look at a few paragraphs at a time it becomes easier to find time to work on it. That applies to translators, editors, proofreaders, and TLC alike. And if you have a great idea, it's fine to surprise readers but better to warn the people working on the project with you before you start changing everything.

Especially, the tweets linked in the first paragraph of his post are full of nothing but helpful hints and personal experiences. - Again, all three are from the perspective of the VN translation community, but Mato's tweet is a bit of a reality check for starting up any project "as a hobby", and dramata's tweet (and responses to the original tweet) - despite being from the standpoint of a professional - should be useful for any translator or editor on how to work with each other. The main takeback is still "communicate".

Oh, I was being sneaky. His fanservice isn't the ero kind of fanservice; he does enough ero stuff through his job and hobby of translating ero games. On his site sometimes he'll post dog girls, sometimes actual dogs or hamsters, sometimes pictures of a specific girl from an eroge, usually soothing things because when he makes fanservice posts he needs to calm down. :blobangel:

p.s. I bookmarked fapservice to check out later, but I'll need a more detailed source on 'wan true love' for research purposes.

AliceShiki and elengee like this.