Spoiler Something about Spider-man: FFH has been bugging me.

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by BriefDownpour, Apr 30, 2020.

1. BriefDownpour

BriefDownpour Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, recently I re-watched Spider-man: Far From Home, but I did so after watching a documentary about that woman Elizabeth Holmes, you know the one responsible by all that Theranos mess, and I think I noticed some similarities between the Villain of the movie Mysterio and her.

I've been distracted lately so I didn't pay full attention neither to the documentary nor the movie, but I'll try to list the similarities I've noticed:

1- When presenting her product Elizabeth Holmes mentioned how she lost her uncle to cancer and how that motivated her to start working with blood testing so less people would have to go through the same thing. Mysterio shows up in the movie saying he's from another dimension that got destroyed by elementals, and he's here to prevent that this earth goes through the same thing.

2- Actually Mysterio is lying what he wants to do is to take hold of the legacy Tony Stark left for Peter Parker, his plan is to emerge as a hero in the vacum left by the Avengers, he wants to be the next Tony instead of Peter. Elizabeth Holmes always tried to sell herself as the next Steve Jobs, I didn't pay attention to the dates in the documentary, so I can't say she became popular after he died or not.

3- In the documentary people say that they believe Elizabeth Holmes was able to lie so easily and so boldly perhaps because she really believed that eventually she would succeed in creating the machine that could do what she advertised. She could do what she did because she believed the end result would genuinelly help people. Mysterio really believed that people need heroes they can believe in, and even if it's a lie, he could be that hero for everybody. If he just wanted to scam people he could do so with the tech he already had, he got hold of EDITH because he wanted to turn the lie into truth.

4- Both are similar in the way that they are very charismatic, and it was that charisma that made people trust then in the first place.

5- Their lies make harder for people coming after them who are genuinely trying to do the right thing, Mysterio spread lies about Peter, Holmes on the other hand made people more skeptical of new and ambitious tech companies, which I guess isn't so bad, but I can't help thinking that there will be people with good ideas looking for investors that will have a harder time because people became overcautious after what Holmes did.

This is everything I can remember, I don't think Mysterio was solely based on her, but I can't help thinking they took some inspiration from what she did.

Am I overthinking this?

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I say Mysterio was just aggrieved and in a sense vengeful, that is why he tricked those that supported him to make that act, his actions were just purely selfish in order to accomplish the take over, in comics, Mysterio is a smart man and quite good with illusions, his counterpart in the movie was somewhat lacking in comparison but still quite deceptive and that was spot on :hmm:

BriefDownpour likes this.
  3. BriefDownpour

BriefDownpour Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot to reply to this, sorry.
    He sure was vengeful, when he talks about his interactions with Tony he leaves no doubt about that. On that note, I also think he's very cynical, just think about it: The guy who treated you like shit is lauded as billionaire tech Jesus by half of the whole universe.
    Maybe he thought: "These people can only venerate Tony because they don't know him, I know what Tony really is like."
    And that could have led to: "Maybe people only like heroes because they don't know them, who knows, maybe all heroes are like Tony, all assholes, which means anyone can be a hero. They only need to reach the top, which is easier when you're an asshole."
    And I think thats likely since he tells Peter it's a shame he is a good kid (meaning he recognizes Peter as the real deal, except he's naive).

Deleted member 155674 likes this.