Discussion Song of Adolescene: Wuxia Novel Recommendation

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by catatopatch, May 15, 2019.

1. catatopatch

catatopatch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to recommend this novel that a friend was translating.

Here's the novel page link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/song-of-adolescence/

If you are too lazy to click that link, just read why I like it below and then decide if you want to click the link.

Here's why I like the novel, it's not a reincarnation novel! Nowadays, every damned novel is a bloody reincarnation novel and is basically a carbon copy of another. Not this one! This main character hasn't been reincarnated, sent back in time or knows anyone with those characteristics. In fact, that damned trope isn't mentioned at all in the novel. So if you are sick of that played out trope, this is the novel for you!

Point two: this is a 98%, bonafide, legit, honest-to-goodness, Wuxia. None of that Xianxia nonsense, just good old fashioned iron and superhuman athletic abilities.

Point three: the author actually writes with a purpose and well. The translation is only in its infancy but the raws have already been completed, under 1000 chapters. Speaking from my experience reading the raws, the entire story has a very defined sense of a beginning and an end, which is extremely rare nowadays with every novel cycling between the same worn out plots over multiple 'new' worlds. Right from the start, you can tell that the story is heading somewhere and the author keeps to that track, never filling the story with unnecessary chapters or 'tournament arcs'. Most importantly, the main characters have character -shocking! They aren't just faceless potatoes there to prop up the main character. Also, the Chinese wasn't cancerous.

I will admit that I'm a little biased towards the translation since my friend is the one doing it, but I can honestly say that I liked the novel before he decided to translate the novel. The novel name is kinda lul, but oh well, can't really do much there. If you like epic historical settings, defined personalities, wuxia, or just are sick of reincarnation novels, this is the novel for you! Give it a shot, even if it hasn't finished its first arc yet.

Fallion, Green Apple and Wu Jizun like this.
  2. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can vouch the dialogues aren't littered with dick-polishing lines; there's actual substance. Narrations aren't the darn dialogue rephrased. Chinese doesn't sound like a thirteen year old's writing. Combat style tends toward Jin Yong's elaborated style. The rest, well, it's wuxia doing actual wuxia.

If you're already reading Martial King's Retired Life, give this a crack. You'll most likely enjoy it - without Taibai's word plays and comedy style.

Edit: And thank heavens someone actually posts wuxia after putting mentioning it, lol.

3. Jass

Jass Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg, I've been hoping to see it on Nu somehow after watching the donghua! Thanks for letting me know it's being translated! :aww:

4. catatopatch

catatopatch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The anime's storyline is slightly different though. For one thing, they added a dog. The rest, you gotta read and watch for yourself.