Discussion Sorcerer's Journey NEEDS better translation!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Stark3, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Unfortunately, I'm having problems with my Qidian account. I used to be able to access VIP chapters (since I loaded my account with more than $100), but they changed the way they did authentication and I can't figure out how to properly login after they changed it. So, recent RAWs I read are from other sites.

2. Nope, double checked. The missing part isn't mentioned elsewhere in the text, at least for the examples I gave. The feeling I get even from the other chapters is that the OT glosses over a lot of stuff that doesn't directly impact the plot. Those are the stuff tho that I think separates SJ from the junk novels out there.

Hahhaa likes this.
  2. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link
    When someone call MTL is better than normal translations, I personally think it just bullshit.
    I did have high level MTL daos during Coiling Dragon era and it no contest when compared to human translations once available. Now I realized my bias for using high standard.
    To actually see the prove. That just wow. I'm actually impressed lol. Yes it was edited, but MTL daoist auto edit them in their brain anyway. I have mixed feeling right now.

Oh well. I read SJ but quit it after QI fiasco started. There are simply more novels out there. Hat off to @Stark3 on your journey to spread the joy of your favorite novel and now fighting injustice that ruined it. Best regard and good luck.

emry and Stark3 like this.
  3. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, those are not yet VIP, so I've checked the official raws. And you are right, everything is just as bad as you posted.
    I.e. chapter 40:
    EDIT: Wow. Things are MUCH MUCH worse later on.
    Translator completely removed 70-80% of text from the later chapters.
    @Qidian , please take notice - this "translator" is scamming you.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  4. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah man go ahead and spoil me. I don't even care. IMO most novels turn to shit after 500 i dropped so many novels after that mark. Either way tell me what happens. Also I need to find the forum for spoilers for this novel since I want spoilers for it too. You said its better than WMW thats damn good praise. WMW one of my favorites other than that 2nd last arc I don't want to spoil it for people. Great Demon King is good and the author of it thats his only good work the rest of his novels shit. IET and Wang Yu my favorite authors atm.

5. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out my review of the novel. The tradeskill ( blacksmith / pharmacist etc ) situation became so retarded and annoying. Instead of interesting stuff happening they focus on how MC is at the master level for all disciplines in each of those crafts. Then you get people falling over themselves to make him their guild president / be on friendly terms with him.

6. bonifide

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay thanks can you make a thread for spoilers for Sorcerer's Journey?

7. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    It's of no use. I noticed similar issues with 'The Sacred Ruins '. I emailed them about the missing paragraphs. They only bothered to correct one of the missing paragraphs after I made a thread about it on NUF (which happened MANY weeks after my email) . But such similar problems exists throughout the novel. I have given up on the htl of Sacred Ruins.

checkm8, Night Ghost and Stark3 like this.
  8. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting thread/read.

9. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. I didn't know it was THAT bad actually. I stopped doing head to head comparisons at chapter 30, didn't know it becomes even worse later on.

If I were to make an analogy, it's as if someone did a Thug's Note style summary of the novel and used that as the translation (without the accompanying humor). Here's something that absolutely made me cringe when I saw it :

From OT:
    What the heck is up with that? With the way things were worded, it wouldn't have been out of place if there had been an additional line like "Yeah, let's ditch this place and let's get it on yo."

Here is the scenario in MTL : (names changed to fit ones used by translation)

10. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say that you're lucky! :D At least you don't have a negative impression of the novel you have to go against, or have to re-read everything from the start just to get a proper idea of what's actually going on in the story.

TianKrea likes this.
  11. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Darn, didn't know that...

12. ZiLi

ZiLi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How amusing, i've checked ch 40 and 41 on chinese Qidian (stupid google translate) and compared it to the "official" translation and there are some sentences that are missing(at the end of ch 40 of the English version) that are present in the chinese Qidian chapter version, in ch 41 it's the opposite, in the English translation there are some sentences in the begining of the chapter that are not present in the chinese Qidian chapter 41 version (and it's not the part missing that was not translated from the ending of ch 40 chinese Qidian version)
    Either i'm missing something, or Qidian is so stupid that it's letting it's translators obtain the "raws" from pirate sites instead of the chinese Qidian.

strixflash likes this.
  13. Aiiee

Aiiee ▪ Akki's Fan ▪(´⊃ᴗ⊂`)▪ Sneaky ▪

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember the Endless Fantasy group representative in NUF had a post about that when asked about censoring a chapter. If I recall correctly, they said that they used raws from pirate sites because requesting the raws from QI takes longer. (n)

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  14. ZiLi

ZiLi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw that post, i don't find a problem with taking the raw text from a pirate site (logically there is a problem) as long as the translator buys the same chapters from Qidian (so that the author can be paid) and then makes sure that the text in the pirate one is identical with the one of Qidian. .

15. bonifide

Reading List:
    Link
    I truly hope LNMTL gets this since they doing some bullshit like this.

16. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't skip text at lnmtl! Besides machine translations can be far better than most of human translations (not all) if you actually know how to properly mtl. Most people don't so they say bad stuffs.

Sadly Lnmtl.com won't be accepting any novel done by Qidian International.

17. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm ... this is the first time I've heard about this restriction by LNMTL... Do you know when this was put up? Because I know for sure that it was only just this month or the last that Daoist Gu / Reverend Insanity was added there, and that's a Qidian novel. (That's another excellent novel btw... I rank it even higher than Sorcerer's Journey)

EDIT : Don't mind the question, it's now just sunk in to me the distinction between the two. Silly me. >.< While Daoist Gu is published in China by Qidian, it's not yet in the list of stuff being translated by QI.

18. AggressivePacifist

AggressivePacifist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They won't want to risk legal action being taken against them/a DMCA being sent to their hosting company so the whole site goes down. Just having Qidian novels at all is pretty risky at this point.

They're also liable to be hit by DMCAs from companies like Wuxiaworld, Gravity and Volare that own the English publication rights to lots of their novels, such as BTTH, DE, Shura's Wrath etc. LNMTL posting translations of those licensed novels infringes on the translation sites' rights.

19. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They can actually completely protect themselves from these type of lawsuits if they let users enter the address of the raws of the novel to be machine translated (with their own specific tweaks, like character names and places) - that way what they are doing would be no different from all the other machine translations websites, as it is the users who are going to be creating the translation for their own use - which is a fair use (only the distribution of those translations would require original author's permissions) .

20. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm ... Kind of what you can do with Systran then, except with a group shareable dictionary? :D

For those who don't know, Systran has a VERY good translation engine, and its free, and available online. Just give it the URL of your web page, or the actual text of the RAWs and it gives results that are much more readable than that of Google translate or much of the other stuff out there (relatively speaking of course. :p you still can't escape the fact that it's MTL). You can even register for free and have the ability to create your own dictionary and have that applied to your translation results.