LCD Sovereign of the Three Realms

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Parth37955, Jan 7, 2016.

1. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    They were wiped out when the great scarlet mid region attacked regal pill palace (might stil be some with the precius tree sect).

jackateonetoo likes this.
  2. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. I had a feeling from when he first got them, that things wouldn't go well for them. Hopefully the rats get a better deal

3. Avenger

Avenger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The rats are cooler. I doubt he would lose the use of them.

4. Avenger

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how in this novel, the current big-bads eventually get what’s coming to them.

5. Avenger

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how long Joan Chen will stay in the capital. I would think there would be a Myriad Island arc at some point. The stuff with his girlfriend needs to be resolved.

6. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure Joan Chen is busy filming a movie called "Eve"

7. Slightly Canted

Slightly Canted Grey Warden

Reading List:
    Link
    Odds on even money that Dan'er will stumble across Jian Chen's little brother and they'll both get kidnapped by Eternal Celestial Capital.

8. Avenger

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for the typo.

9. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, time to drop another novel because of that pointless dumb trope, where "very clever MC" makes stupid things only to create a reason for "girl is taken away and MC gets humiliated for no real reason" plot.

10. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    Women are depicted as really stupid in these novels. They only exist for one reason, to marry into some supreme clan or another and become a baby making tool. No matter how smart or impressive they are in the beginning, they will ultimately become a stupid tool to make babies when they are married off. I just can't understand why people like romance in these stories. All women are depicted as stupid people. How is watching that fun?

11. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slightly incorrect. The author might spam praises on JC but he, ultimately, is also dumb as a rock. You cannot write characters much smarter than yourself and this goes twice if you are pumping out worthless filler content while checklisting all possible tropes you can humanly possible stack. SOTR has plot holes and setting errors left, right and center and the writing style is just as bad if not worse. Etvo is hard fixing this novel to a point where she cuts entire chapters out and the flaws are still THAT glaring. (I think she lost a few hundred thousand brain cells translating the last minor arc).
    Tl;dr: This author is incapable of writing "realistic" sentient creatures.

justmehere likes this.
  12. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, none of these stories have award winning prose. NONE of them. I don't understand why people keep trying to compare these stories to Japanese manga/anime and their Korean counterparts. A few of these stories are decent, but 90% are just the equivalent of kiddie comics. Don't take them too seriously. China is not like Japan or Korea. The authors can't just write whatever they want. They have to stick to approved lists of topics or they will find themselves in trouble authorities.

My point about the stupid females is simply because I've seen a lot of posters want/caring about romance in these stories. Knowing the above I find that completely ridiculous. I'm aware that most of these posters are 18 years old or younger, but even then I was aware what goes on in China. It's not really a secret.

13. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    I can still expect a somewhat decent flow. Exposition chapters right in the supposed climatic fight of the arc (JC vs Shura, 80% of all fights in this novel)?
    Characters doing stupid decisions and getting praised as being smart in the same chapter(not instagibbing Shura)? Completely idiotic setting details which make absolutely zero sense (puppet pavilion, heavenly oaths, among others)?

And some chinese novels actually have smart female characters which are not just luggage... CoS for example. Then again... in CoS the git gud or get rekt mentality actually works...
    SOTR, in comparison, is nearing the meme-worthy tier where its slightly dumber brothers MGA, AST and ATG are lurking.

And im not judging it against the JP/KR standard, which is only a modicum higher than the CN standard. Im judging it to my standard, which is the upper layer of western fantasy.

14. Avenger

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the novel. This Dan Fei aside is a little boring but if it brings her and the MC together, so be it. Huang’er will probably be gone for a long time.

15. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a function of Chinese culture in general and how the Chinese web novel industry works in particular; the authors get paid by the word, not how good their stories actually are.

You have to have a certain level of understanding about how life is in China to be able to understand why the authors would do this. Yes, I also feel that this is very annoying as well, but I understand a bit about Chinese culture so I can deal with a little of it. As long as it doesn't get to a ridiculous level.

This is a function of Chinese culture. You have to have a certain level of understanding about how life is in China to be able to understand why the authors would do this. Yes, I also feel that this is very annoying as well, but I understand a bit about Chinese culture so I can deal with a little of it. As long as it doesn't get to a ridiculous level.

I don't know what CoS is. That probably means I don't like it. ATG is actually pretty good. It's one of the rare ones that is actually well written. The problems with it (from a western perspective) all come from Chinese culture issues, not a fault of the writer. Meaning the stupid females show up here as well. The stupid "fan service" that makes Yun Che marry every other girl he meets. These are culture issues, not necessarily author issues.

The Japanese have high quality publishers (by western standards) so they release higher quality novels/manga/anime by comparison. There is a reason why anime/manga was the leading export of Japan for several years in a row (maybe evens decades, actually). Japan releases high quality stuff. Whether or not you like it is a different matter.

If you're comparing these Chinese stories (or even some Japanese anime/manga) to things like Game of Thrones, then you're going to be disappointed every time. Don't do that.

16. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    ATG well written... lmao. I dont know a more predictable novel without any stakes whatsoever. Its probably my most disliked novel which I bothered to read for more than 20 chapters before dropping it (Dark times where I had not mastered the 3 chapters check yet). Its decent until 150ish and then drops off a cliff straight into shit tier. Its not a case where you can read from the foreshaddowing. You predict on two assumptions: YC is the biggest badass alive and gets em all without any serious setbacks. He will do so with the most boring asspull available. Item x exists. He will get it. Beauty z exists, he will bang her. (She will be a virgin with jadelike skin btw). A fight? No stakes here. And he will fight head on against a character two great realms above him. No one important will die or get permanently crippled ( a waifu getting ntr'ed? rofl). If someone told me ATG was supposed to be a parody of CNs I would doubt him by the sheer fact that perfection on this level is impossible. THAT is how bad of a meme it is.
    And while SOTR suffers from similar flaws it has two points where it (drastically) outdoes ATG: The harem is near non existent (Lets hope Dan Fei vanishes again asap) and the MC is not a hypocritic, narcistic failure of a mary sue. He is just as stupid tho.

Cultural issues dont excuse severe flaws in the narrative. Neither does payment by word count excuse this. It makes it somewhat understandable but by no means does it justify glossing over the resulting flaws. There are CNs which do it well after all, just to rub it in.

Neither do they excuse severe flaws in the setting. Fluff is cool. Dont get me wrong. But it has to make sense. (The mentioned puppet pavillon would go bankrupt within a year, and thats being generous. Instagibbing Shura was way less risky than letting him get away etc.) Many of these flaws come from the exponential scaling (which the MC does not mind ofc) but some others are just illogical failures.

You dont know CoS... I see. Its the best novel on WW which is not currently completed. Give it a shot, its better than ATG by several orders of magnitude. (Given the ultra low bar that is the trio of ATG/AST/MGA this is no surprise or specific feat but well). Female characters within the harem have their own agenda and reasons and are actually quite clever. In fact his enemies arent complete idiots either. The novel is more on the darker side and very much focused on war. Some DnD elements exist....

Comparing a bad novel to worse novels does not make it any better in absolutes, dont go down that rabbit hole of double standards.

17. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    I take it you're not a fan of action? Or of Kung Fu movies from the 1960's-1980's? Because everything you've said is cultural and genre based like i tried to tell you earlier.

ATG is pretty good. We simply disagree on that. No need to continue further on that topic.

Of course Dan Fei isn't going anywhere. Harem is a function of the culture. I don't really know how Yun Che is any more hypocritical or narcissistic than any other MC. We disagree on that.

True. We agree here.

Now this is your proverbial "rabbit hole." I already told you, these stories are equivalent to kiddie comics. Don't take them too seriously and don't sweat the small stuff.

Mate, you're going to have to tell me what CoS is, I don't know it. Meaning spell out the acronym, please. If you want me to read it, that is.

AST is terrible. I agree with you on that. But the entire purpose of that story is for guys to mastubate, so it kind of makes sense why it's so bad. I dropped MGA years ago. I don't like the type of fighting.

Not really sure what you're referring to here as I've already explained all that needs to be said about what to expect from these novels. If you continue to try to do pointless things like figure out how long a puppet business would last then you should just stop reading these stories now. There are much better uses for your time, mate.

Taking what I said about what to expect from these novels in my earlier post into account, all I look for is a decent story with fun and exciting action (fist to face ass kicking, not stupid magic treasure bullshit like A Will Eternal). That's all. I expect nothing more from these stories, and quite frankly if anyone does expect more from these stories then that's a mistake on their part.

Actually, try Virtual World: Peerless White Emperor. That's one of my favorites and it seems to be quite popular with the masses as well. Give it 10 chapters and you'll know if you like it or not.

18. pocketchu

pocketchu Omni

Reading List:
    Link
    City of Sin

Slightly Canted likes this.
  19. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    CoS is City of Sin. Looking at the WW main page for more than 5 seconds would have answered this as well. No need for you to actually go looking for it though since you are part of the ATG readers. You want a read at the depth of the local puddle with some idiots faceslapping themselves, a mc getting all the grills while being a narcistic psychopath. You wont get this in CoS. Neither will you get a lot of amazing 1 vs 1s simply because its war focused.

There are no exciting fights in ATG, in case you havent noticed just yet. Most of his skills are passive immunities and nothing is at stake. Broken enough to skip two great realms to boot. So it looks semi flashy and then you realize all of it is pointless since neither the whether nor the how will be relevant. He never looses a relevant fight and the way he wins is just as boring and overused as the reasons why he fights.
    In SOTR its at least only "taking a onesided beating from one realm above while not getting completely slaughtered".
    In WMW we had a case where the MC fought a being one level above him. It took an alliance and a weakened enemy and they still lost. MC ditched his allies, grabbed some loot and bailed.
    In CoS he nearly oneshotted someone 2 levels above him (12.9 vs 15), thats like emperor level 2 vs emperor level 6. He dropped a level in the process and took severe damage from the recoil alone. At the end of the day he lost a lot in this encounter despite killing two enemies (and getting some lulz out of it) simply because he fed them information. It took him a month to recover from this even with his drastically speed up meditation technique. And in his case every wasted hour is a fortune he cannot afford. He also had advantage in weaponry to equal the gab.
    See the difference?

ATG is objectively trash btw. Just because there is more vile trash around it (the smut novels...) its not a toxic piece of waste. The same thing you said about AST applies to ATG. Wish fullfillment of the highest degree, for horny 14-year old teenagers who want to be the boss. Tells us a lot about the author.
    Same can be said about SOTR. Either the author doesnt give a fuck about creating anything decent or he is actually trying to create characters with a semblance of sentience but is still utterly failing. Creating characters smarter than yourself is difficult if you are in a rush. Dan Fei is dumb even for SOTR standards tho. No, I'm not reading this novel for its content.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  20. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. Is it any good?