News Spell checking!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mukkaar, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mukkaar

mukkaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just wondering why some original novel writers won't use Grammarly or some other spell checking app or website. Grammarly is free and can spell check real-time. And there is also online checkers and programs like Word.
    I personally don't like grammar nazis generally but with novel's, it's understandable to comment on it. With so many handy apps that make it really easy, I don't get why people don't use them.

Just came to my mind with Grammarly's aggressive marketing on youtube. I actually tried it for this post and it works great :p

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    How many shares do you own? :blobsleepless:

otaku31, mukkaar and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  3. Vorstex

Vorstex Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they don't know English good enough, what's the chance they'll know about Grammarly?

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    simpl bcaus popl can still undrstand vn whn thr ar lttrs missing, so why would you bothr with som grammatical rrors?
    aftr all if vry rror took 1 scond aftr 2000 word they might accumulat to minuts and that is tim that could be usd translating mor or making sur that its maning is prctibl

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

otaku31, Slayerwolfx2 and alamptr like this.
  5. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow I managed to read this...
    And yet, I feel worse when reading MTL, because despite this being... shit. It's still readable.

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the first and last letter of each word are correct people can easily read it or even not notice it's written wrongly at times. Gets very difficult otherwise. Personally i don't care for it much , just the 'ur/your/you're' at times.
    Most issues are with people using the wrong words which doesn't get fixed by grammar sites. :blob_coughblood:

otaku31 likes this.
  7. mukkaar

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't gotten them yet :D I will notify them about this thread and hope they will give me some :p

elengee likes this.
  8. mukkaar

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but at the same time those apps make it super easy to correct mistakes. I mean that's why I posted it here :D I rarely notice small issues while reading, it's just from the accumulation of mistakes over time of multiple reads. It's more of a "why not use?" issue.

9. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    my biggest issue is with people that don't properly use the negative, so sentence become illogical, like "it took too many loses, it could _ keep going".
    that type of error is excusable
    and grammarly would not fix it

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they'll evolve to make a database like 'customers that bought this also bought' but instead 'translators that translated this word also used' and show the percentage of usage and the context of the novel, offering people alternative words.
    Like some novels on Qidian use 'Intrepid' a few times a chapter, or some words translate too literally and lose meaning; sayings for instance.
    Reverend Insanity had a Boar Gu , gains the strength of a boar, apparently there's only one word that means that and pig so it was translated into the strength of a pig.

Dutch saying for a bump on the head is literally translated into an 'egg on the head' :blobsleepless:

11. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah or 'i can't win him' when it's about 'beating' them. Translation being too literal. This is something i see in Qidian novels all the time.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry, that feeling probably goes both ways.

13. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah Grammarly can't help me correct my tenses. As a non-Indo-European whose language focused on verb aspects, not verb tenses, I always forget the -ed. We also don't use plurals affix, so I sometimes forget to pluralify the word. Grammarly won't help in this.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  14. HnM_Pete

HnM_Pete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because "spellchecking" in the meaning you want is a single word that is different from an equally valid "spell checking" and programs like Grammarly can't usually tell which one do you want. They suck at reading the context, understanding rare word usage, and conversational English. Unless you're already proficient in the language, spellcheckers will be of limited use to you and can end up misleading you quite a bit.

Also, technically proficient, good writing is of no value in this market. Readers, for the most part, care about your chapters coming frequently, not about them being high quality. There is no incentive for a translator to use anything like Grammarly.

15. Gyoza

Gyoza Turn Up the Eurobeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm... I rarely see misspellings...

Grammar/proofreading issues on the other hand are more common. But they aren't as easy to catch. Also with grammarly, I think you have to pay to get the full version.

16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Word does some spell-checking for me, but I never understood why should I bother with using an external program for my spell-check.

And well, most of the corrections Word gives to me are "passive voice, consider revising"... >.>

So... Doesn't help much IMO.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  17. SamGoingHam

SamGoingHam A sports, games, novels fanatic.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes grammarly is free, but that's only for spell-checking, you have to pay for other extensions. Such as sentence structure and stuff. As @AliceShiki said, you can just use MS Word or Google Docs for spell-checking. No need to get grammarly unless you're going to use the entire software.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  18. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty certain a lot of novel writers don't use spell-checking. You probably only notice those that really need it, but most of us can spell perfectly fine and adding a spell-checker to the process is just an inconvenience that interrupts workflow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.