Discussion Spoilers ruined enjoyment of manga

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by AmyzingAmy, Jan 8, 2022.

?

shounen with op protagonist

1. yes romance

2. no romance only action

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AmyzingAmy

AmyzingAmy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's common sense that reading spoilers would ruin the story for you. I look at spoilers when I'm starting to feel uncertain or impatient about a story, but I typically keep reading the manga if it's really good. However, this time around, I came across a spoiler that just ruined the entire manga for me. I was enjoying the manga, it was hype, a romance foreshadowing scene came up (which I wasn't too excited about b/c I prefer shounen manga to be without it but oh well), I looked at spoilers, and what did I find?
    There's going to be a rape scene. With a girl that's not even the FL. And I even read comments with people justifying it.
    I just can't. The manga is really good, but I can't. I'm so sad because the manga is like way before that scene in the novel and is still really good, but now I kind of have to drop it. Have you guys ever encountered something like this? :(

Shio, poploc and Meloonseed like this.
  2. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
    I have not. I usually read the novel if the manga is good. I also try to stay away from spoilers.
    The manga may have differences from the novel. So what you are worried about may be cut in the manga or done differently.

AmyzingAmy likes this.
  3. poploc

poploc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have except that instead of a manga it was a book. Basically the novel is really well written, fluff and funny but it was still being translated . When I came back i accidentally saw comments about it having rape but alot of people were debating if it was really rape and some justified it etc. I was really shocked especially since it was a book that I liked alot (one of those plots that fit every requirement). I ended up leaving the book

AmyzingAmy likes this.
  4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I fall victim to spoilers all the time. For some reason I just have the impulse to click and unhide the spoilers or I have a burning question and look it up and accidentally spoil myself.

I also happened to have something very similar happen yesterday. I was on a site, and clicked on a manhwa that had a pretty cover. There weren’t any chapters available, despite it having a high rating, so I went to check the comments. All the comments were talking about how good the series is, even though the MC is “forced” to rape someone. I was like, “I’m out.”

AmyzingAmy likes this.
  5. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll drop something if I learn the thing I'm reading will go in a direction I don't like. Whether it's harem or the author justifying having a character raped....
    I love spoilers. It doesn't kill my enjoyment of anything to get spoiled, though I definitely won't spoil other people.

evilwang, AmyzingAmy and Nightow1 like this.
  6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at it this way, at least the spoilers saved you from having to find out the hard way by actually reading the chapter. If not for the spoiler, you would have read all the way to that chapter, then get hit in the face with rape and dropped the series anyway.

Though spoilers are rude, in this case it might have saved you time and emotional investment that you would have wasted if you read up to the chapter in question before getting slapped in the face with a surprise rape scene.

evilwang, Meloonseed and AmyzingAmy like this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't ever had a spoiler ruin my enjoyment of a manga, but I've certainly been angered by them before.

Like at the time when I was spoiled about who the character of a manga would end up being paired with... Or about who the character of a webtoon would be paired with... I actually don't remember any others, but in mangas/webtoons that romance isn't necessarily the focus, and that who the MC will get paired up with is a bit unclear (they were not harem mangas/webtoons, for the record)... Getting that spoiled out was a real bummer.

Still love both series though, but geez, those unmarked spoilers were a real pain... MARK YOUR SPOILERS PROPERLY BEFORE YOU SPOIL PEOPLE, DAMN IT! >.<

8. Selha

Selha Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It happens often to me. I have a few things I can't stand, and if a spoiler mentions it, I'm out. I prefer being spoiled on things like that because I can remember the manga or novel for the enjoyment I got from it rather than the disappointment of seeing it go to the dumpster in real time.

9. Lize

Lize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it has happened to me a looot. i have a habit of reading comments of mangas/manhwas and find reading them quite enjoyable but ofc there are people who post spoilers without a warning:blobangery:(well sure you can post spoilers i don't mind that but u could at least put a warning man:cry:) and i always fall victim to them which is quite sad and for some reason even if its a small spoiler i end up losing interest on the manga. i have dropped quite a few amount of good mangas due to spoilers ruining the fun too:(

10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever that happen I typically don't blame the spoilers but rather just see it as the story not being good enough for me keep reading.
    If I could chose between having a horrible scene spoiled and drop the story early or keep enjoying it up until I get to the scene and get annoyed enough to drop it then anyway, then I would easily pick the first option.
    Enjoying it for a bit longer just isn't worth the annoyance it leads to later usually.