Recommendations Stories With Good Writing

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by ClearMadness, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ClearMadness

ClearMadness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking to read some LN/WN that don't suffer from lazy writing and overused tropes. In particular I want:
    - Deep side characters that don't revolve around the MC.
    - No OP characters that never struggle, look bad, or get unlucky.
    - A world that's consistent and makes sense. No guys inventing guns in their basements, using common sense ideas to make untold wealth, getting hit by meteors that give them super powers, or huge plot holes.
    - No RPG stats that are just made up nonsense, and an attempt by the author to hide the fact he's just making everything up as he goes along without planning anything.

An example would be Sevens, which I really enjoy reading.

2. Genryaku

Genryaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze Tian Ji fits the bill

But I have to recommend ISSTH just for good measure. It does have an OP character and he gets lucky a lot, but damn if he didn't earn it all himself. Besides it is the single best story bar none and it would be immoral not to recommend it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    A certain magical index fits the bill perfectly

estelion likes this.
  4. nyaaaarp

nyaaaarp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dydreamr likes this.
  5. DrkStrkr

DrkStrkr Renowned apostle of Nekomimi

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe Baccano!
    or any of ryogo narita's work [durarara!, etsutsa bridge and Vamp!]
    beware they do not have a main character
    but by doing so makes the characters seems more defined and real to me like real people
    this is just my opinion feel free to disagree

Shio likes this.
  6. readingdigest

readingdigest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Genryaku likes this.
  7. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
  8. drygrass

drygrass Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grimgar

9. gordo1194

gordo1194 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Douluo Dalu fits

Also, make your reading list public, that way we can see what you're already reading.

10. etloth

etloth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Savage Divinity from Royalroadl definitely is what you're looking for. Even though author is not a professional writer, it has amazing grammar, amazing side characters, a world that makes sense and you learn more about it as it goes on, rather than simply getting just getting an info-dump. Also, it is narrated amazingly, in a way that it really pulls you into story.

11. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
  12. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/hachinan-tte-sore-wa-nai-deshou/
    The MC can be considered to be OP at magic but that just causes him problems instead of helping. The setting (namely the various nobles of this world) are what causes the MC headaches, such as gaining an official fiancee after going to the church to be baptized. Also as a child, the MC doesn't know how to handle these types of "noble" problems and is forced to get help from advisors (whom have their own agenda to gain the support of the MC).

13. Minarett

Minarett Peaceful Adventurer

Reading List:
    Link
    Kuro no Maou. MC is extremely unlucky and he gets his power through unwilling human experimentation.

14. ClearMadness

ClearMadness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the recommendations; I'll be sure to check them out.

I enjoyed the first part of this story, but it went downhill fast. The MC started sitting around on his ass, and then when the fighting started he just happened to stumble upon a young man that had invented guns in his basement...

15. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of the Magus World but the MC suffers from being OP because of his gadget and since he's reincarnated. It also suffer from RPG stats.

The Magus Era. The writing is good and the world is fleshed out but it suffers from the same cliche for reincarnation novels.

If you're tired of the same cliche except for the minimal RPG stats, just read History's Number One Founder.

In general, I have yet to read a WN/LN that satisfies your criteria if I'm going to base it on the big picture of a novel and not by arc. (i.e. after an arc, the novel will become inconsistent, or etc.)

16. Pandamonic

Pandamonic [The Great Swimming Panda]

Reading List:
    Link
    Terror Infinity is the one you need to read. It goes for everything except for stats. But its not that inhumane or nonreasonable. You would say he's OP when you see his stats but he's not in fact his life is always still on the limelight. Plus the logic and plot never got any big loopholes where you could exploit the main plot or something. Or maybe its just me? Meeh~ just try reading it and give it a shot. BTW. Like my post if you like it.

@ClearMadness

17. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you wind up liking World of Cultivation, try Five Way Heaven too. Its by the same author and, while it does mostly focus on the MC, it does a good job of fleshing out side characters even when he's not around. Same author also wrote Card Disciple, its a bit too early to say for certain if it meets the criteria though and the translation speed is quite slow.

Mother of Learning. If you're not already reading this, you should be. Its one of the best stories currently being written.

King's Avatar, maybe. The MC is pretty OP, but its something he worked hard for over the course of several years. There are a few other talented people, but they're all also hard working or incapable of keeping up with those who are. The majority of characters have distinct personalities, regardless of how small their parts are and relationships between characters make sense and feel natural.

18. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Hardcore OP-ness

because the OP is a goblin

20. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? then.
    • Deep side characters that don't revolve around the MC. With all those side chapters from their own perspective, of course Check
    • No OP characters that never struggle, look bad, or get unlucky. Kumo threading on a spider thread from the start, both figuratively and literally. So, Check
    • A world that's consistent and makes sense. Once you got the whole picture, Check
    • No RPG stats that are just made up nonsense, and an attempt by the author to... Well, it'd be a spoiler if I explain it here, so I'll just assure you the RPG thingy is part of the story. Check