Request Story rich jrpg

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Balle, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Balle

Balle Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone can recommend me pc jrpg similar to tales of berseria? Didn't like Vesperia that much it had some annoying characters. More story focused and less action with many cutscenes if possible. I don't like to grind or fight unless it is interesting. Even using cheats to skimp it is a bother. Action parts like the golden sun would be good where we need to use powers outside of battles to solve puzzles. I know zelda breath of the wild is like that but it seems a bit complicated to set it up for pc.

I was considering Dragon Quest XI anyone knows how is it? I have never played any final fantasy series too unless you count ff tactics advance. Latest one's trailer looks too dull. I feel the story won't be too interesting. I prefer fantasy settings anyway. Scifi or school settings are not a cup of my tea.

As you can tell I am new to this genre so any recommendation would help. Better game graphics would help too but not important.

2. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DQ11 is a great Game but buy it on the switch that one is the better version with much more stuff. If visual novels are also okay I would propose the Utawarerumono and the Tears to Tiara games as well, more strategy than action with really great stories.

Balle likes this.
  3. IAmViruz

IAmViruz FGO Degen

Reading List:
    Link
    How about Atelier Series? Most of them are very easy to clear. Not much grinding needed. The synthesizing parts is kinda tricky tho'.

Edit: Guide. Just in case you don't know where to start from.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Alexios Blake, nightcore34 and Balle like this.
  4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Trails series. Nothing can top that series in worldbuilding because every NPC has entertaining dialogue that change every time you further the story even a little bit. It also has a solid lore and a great characters. Too bad it is not that famous even though it is one of the best JRPGs I've ever played

Fulminata, thymee, FranckOA and 3 others like this.
  5. chris1120

chris1120 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    loved the artonelico series...

Balle likes this.
  6. negritis

negritis The Mathematician

Reading List:
    Link
    Y's VIII
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Fire Emblem
    Disgaea
    FF XV
    Ni No Kuni
    Last Remnant

Alexios Blake and Balle like this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DQ XI is pretty great, yes. Most DQ games are, though they're essentially not on PC. A lot of great JRPGs aren't. ... Persona 5, for example, is a really good game, and you won't find it on PC.

Grandia II is absolutely fantastic. It's a bit old, but you mentioned golden sun, so I doubt that's a huge problem.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/330390/Grandia_II_Anniversary_Edition/

Ni No Kuni II is pretty good. I liked the first game (not on PC) more, but my friend swears the first game is crap and II is the best thing ever, so. It just so happens to be on sale right now, too. 66% off. Ends on the 9th.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/589360/Ni_no_Kuni_II_Revenant_Kingdom/

Only one of the Star Ocean games were ported to PC, and it's honestly probably my least favorite in the series:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/609150/STAR_OCEAN__THE_LAST_HOPE__4K__Full_HD_Remaster/

... and, yes, any given Final Fantasy game is absolutely worth playing. You'll like 'em. Even their friggin' MMO has a better storyline than many singleplayer, story-driven rpg games, ffs.

Chrono Trigger, being iconic, needs no particular commendation from me.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/613830/CHRONO_TRIGGER/
    You have a few more options if you want to use emulators. E.g. none of the Suikoden series is on PC at all, and I'd highly recommend those games because they have a few unique gameplay mechanics that are worth experiencing, at least once. Think traditional turn-based JRPG with all the usual features and quirks, but with ~108 playable characters that can be found and recruited in various ways. All of which have a role to play in a large home base, that differs wildly between each game in the series. Suikoden II in particular is a classic that everyone should play - though it is a direct sequel of sorts to the original Suikoden, which isn't as great. Still good, ofc, just not one for the history books like II.

Balle likes this.
  8. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, DQ 11 is great. Best animations. And the ending was 'WTF mind blown' to a casual dragon quest series player like me. Worth every hour.
    Ni no kuni II also fun. Some people are put off by the art and easy fight mechanics. But those are plus for me. I like ghibli and easy fight. Win win.

Balle likes this.
  9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    this ^

There is a reason why trails in the sky FC is one of my favourite games.
    The legend of heroes series is a masterpiece. The whole series is split into essentially three sub series,
    1. the original Dragon slayer
    2. Gagharv trilogy
    3. Trails series
    I would rec you to start with trails in the sky FC as your first game as it is available for both psp and pc, and is the first game of trails series. Once you fall in love with the series due to it, you can continue with the further games in trails series or play through the gagharv trilogy. The gagharv trilogy has a bit of sub-par translations (Honestly even if they were better the standard of trails series translation is way too high) but they are still pretty great.

Fulminata and Balle like this.
  10. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Other series would be,
    golden sun
    ys
    Baldur's gate
    Chrono trigger

Balle likes this.
  11. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Crossbell arc is still the best arc. It pains me that there are no official translations but there are still good fan translations at the very least

Ddraig likes this.
  12. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets hope they will get official translations soon too

BigBadBoi likes this.
  13. NinjapowerMS

NinjapowerMS Local man ruins everything

Reading List:
    Link
    Ys Lacrimosa of Dana is good. I have my gripes about it but you won't mind.

Balle likes this.
  14. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link

Actually Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has been remastered and is being ported to PC, Switch and PS4 if I recall correctly.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/798460/Ni_no_Kuni_Wrath_of_the_White_Witch_Remastered/

Westeller likes this.