Recommendations strong heroine otome games?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Ichigoeater, May 14, 2020.

1. Ichigoeater

Ichigoeater Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the long story why:

I have this old friend of mine with whom I have very few things in common. I've always loved anime, manga, and video games (that IS my all-encompassing personality, sadly, since 2002), and she's always thought it was lame. Still, she never shut me down when I talked about the newest series I got into and such. Likewise, I never shut her down when she was gushing about Criminal Minds or her uncle's horse ranch (both are awesome, tho'). But I have now discovered, all on her own and without any interest in anime, manga, or video games beyond old school Mario, she has gotten attached to a couple of dating simulations. It seems it started because a youtuber she watches played Hatoful Boyfriend. She got it, thinking it was funny, and got attached to the gameplay. Next, she tried the parody (does it count as parody?) galge game Doki Doki Literature Club (and Kitty's Matchmaker blahblahblah, it's not relevant). Now, thanks to a well-placed Facebook add, she's moved on to full-blown otome games. Finally! She's into something similar to what I'm into! Could this be the gateway to a closer friendship, stalling our inevitable distancing as we get older? (irrelevant, but we may be closer to 30 than 20, if that helps you understand the situation better...)

BUT! There's a problem. I don't like otome games.

It could be because I'm asexual, so seducing people isn't exactly a hobby of mine, but it's more than that. I like to make my heroine capable, and the game tends to punish me for that. I'm fine with being friendly with the capture targets, but if the game has an event where I'm in trouble in some way and gives me the options to A: call one of the targets I've gotten close to, furthering our bond and B: kamehameha the f*cker who is giving me trouble and proving myself to be a bad@ss mother, I'm choosing B. When I make the choices I want to, I always end up with the normal or bad ending. Seduce Me: The Otome was notably guilty of this, not letting me have the best ending with the chosen partner unless I called for help when I got kidnapped. But...the option to kick his @ss was right there, and my character did it gloriously. If she's so capable, then isn't her screaming for her love interest to save her just her playing the damsel in distress, troubling others and being manipulative? I'm just saiyan.

Now, to the point.

Can someone recommend me an otome game where I don't have to be saved by the capture targets outside of perhaps a grand finale? Even better if I get to occasionally do the saving. At the very least, a non-hentai galge game? Capture target females tend to be even more horribly depicted than males, though. Ah, they're all stereotypes, anyway. Maybe there's a yaoi or yuri one? Or one with a great ending if I don't particularly seduce anyone? Help me...

Ayachii likes this.
  2. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also hate the damsel in distress, pushover, yes-woman troupe very much so I understand this pain very very well.

Liar Uncover the Truth
    - you get to kick their asses to the curb exactly like you want to and that's a good ending
    Tasokare Hotel - I'm hesitant to recommend this because although good, it's pretty much a mystery game but I recommend it if only because SEEC made it. The MC has a very strong and developed personality along with other characters in the story. It'll take time but its pretty easy getting through it all for free.
    My Pure Boyfriend - it's pretty fun... ny. The MC is so blunt and the guys can be pretty hilarious but I'm not a fan of the game mechanics. The interesting choices usually require gems and some endings are rather abrupt. The guys toe the line between lovable and absolutely stupid sometimes.
    Pacthesis Games - this creator makes lots of browser otome games. Most have really good MCs and the later ones have detailed plot and interesting game mechanics including time travel and getting stuck in an amusement park. Each route is rather short so you could definitely finish a game in a day.

In retrospect, I don't think I was ever attracted to a game purely for the romance or even the guys. I may not be the best source for romance games. XD

The best purely romance otome game I saw is probably Mystic Messenger. You probably heard this a thousand times but it really is one of the best. At the very least the MC and guys did not piss me off.

I haven't played these personally but I heard good things about Cinderella Phenomenon, Sweet Fuse (a Playstation Vita game that urges you to go ballistic on sexist bullshit; it's the right choice too), Rose of Segunda (all the tempting-fun choices; being able to romance both genders is great too), Hustle Cat, and Ikemen Sengoku.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Rosetta likes this.
  3. Ayachii

Ayachii New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My absolute favs and I know you'll like them if you still didn't play them are : Steam prison and Royal alchemist the mcs in these two games both are so strong and they're so important in the storyline, they get to survive so many times from bad situations by their own, sometimes they get help and they fight together and sometimes they save others, there's not a lot of Romance but the romance scenes are very well done. There's another game that I LOVE called Dark nights from Pinlin the story is amazing and the mc is so brave, smart and strong. And there's a game called Reanimation scheme however only the demo is out she has lazy personality but special powers and I'm sure she'll fight a lot in the full game. I also search for more games that has strong mcs like those I'll appreciate some recommendations as well❤️