Recommendations Structured/limited power system

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by erikvio, Nov 22, 2017.

1. erikvio

erikvio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not talking about novels where there’s only a little bit of magic/ability, just to be clear. In fact, I'd prefer if it was rather widespread in the world.

I’m looking for a novel where the power or magic systems are streamlined and follow a kind of central law or idea. Something that is pretty simple to remember, and allows the reader to think up cool possibilities/variations based on the ground rules. Examples of this are the element bending in Avatar: The Last Airbender, or many of the magic systems in Brandon Sanderson’s works. I'm getting massive fatigue from novels where pretty much anything is possible through training/cultivation/luck/etc. (for ex: Emperor's Domination, ISSTH, One Piece, superhero stuff, etc.) - where there's only general energy/qi that characters can do whatever with, or where pretty much anything goes as long as the author can imagine it.

I often like the type of worldbuilding this presents, and how things not explicitly explained by the author aren't shrouded in mysticism in a "what will they come up with next??" kind of way. I like reading about how different characters/groups solve problems and form their society/culture given the same "tools" and limitations.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Fuyuneko likes this.
  2. sisterfister

sisterfister currently inside your sister

Reading List:
    Link
    HunterxHunter and jojo's bizzare adventure,

Djablo, SayMrrp and juniorjawz like this.
  3. JackStone

JackStone Wow. How nice. Good job.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hrrmmm... So basically, you want the novel's system of magic follows a set of rules or something like that? Let me try to find some.

4. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, i recommend Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, it is a novel about "magic engineering"
    i dont know if the magic theory is easy to follow or not. but it certainly has its own set of rules, just like a modern science but in magic.

btw, what kind of novel does Brandon Sanderson wrote? i never read any of his novel.

SayMrrp likes this.
  6. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. TotesMyGoats

TotesMyGoats yeetle the teetle

Reading List:
    Link
    Mother of Learning. In my opinion it's a bit complicated sometimes, but it's definitely much more structured than the ones you listed

8. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    The hell are you talking about? Nen is one of the most unlimited systems of power i've seen in my life! You pretty much use it in any way, shape or form you can imagine, with the only limitations being that you can only truly excel in one or 2 types of Nen. Hell, there's even one Nen user who LITERALLY has the power to do anything (Nanika) as long as someone fulfills 3 of her requests first.

erikvio likes this.
  9. rotweissewaffel

rotweissewaffel Adept Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Metaworld Chronicles
    its magic system is apparently inspired by D&D (not sure, haven't played D&D jet, only other pen&paper RPGs) and has multiple schools that have their specific sthrenghts and weaknesses, like evocation, conjuration or enchanting. It is, however possible to have access to multiple schools at ones and all strong magi have it.
    There are also different elements and combinations of them and also postive and negative energie, which further influence the element.
    Elemental affinities don't seem to change. so everyone has to see how he/she gets the best from the specific element.

10. erikvio

Reading List:
    Link
    I did enjoy reading it, but not exactly what I'm looking for right now. Everyone in DD sets out to create their own super unique "tool" through RANDOM rings from monsters, while already starting with a huge variety of initial powers (grass, lion, phoenix, rabbit, etc. etc.). There're even the bone abilities thrown into the mix. I'm looking for novels where there's like one tool (to be oversimplistic), and it doesn't change very much ever, but the way they use said tool becomes varied/creative.

11. erikvio

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks I'll check it out.
    Sanderson is well known for writing western fantasy books. Some of his popular series include the Mistborn series and the Stormlight Archives. They're pretty darn cool, check them out at the library or something if you have the chance.

12. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sevens
    - Game World System - Growth systrem, Labyrinth System, Monsters, Three Class System
    - Magic System - Five Elements, Two Divines, Magic Combination and Invocation leads to different magic output. Can be learned by people with magic aptitude.
    - Signature Skill Manifestation - Strong will, and individual ability. Born from emotions, the weapon granted unto mankind. No person can copy them unless they have a Gem which records the basic output of it.

13. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.. and no. To deconstruct your OP request one by one...

Everyone in DD has a spirit.

The system is everyone is born with certain spirit.
    Namely the Tool Spirit and Spirit Beast. There's no much use to it at the beginning, only to use it as is.
    So there is a ring system, if you wanted a certain ability for your spirit, you hunt certain monster that fits your criteria.
    It is harder to get rings from monster way stronger than you even if you manage to kill and get the ring.
    Also, you do have to kill and quickly get rings, no waiting. Therefore active monster hunting happens in DD world.
    There are many varieties of rings to get in this world, it's just a matter of what you kill and get from the monsters.

And since you pointed out Avatar :

Avatar has element of fire, water, wind, earth. Select individual are capable of bending one element or more (if you're the Avatar). If you know what style of 'bending' you want, you can create your own skills.
    DD has Spirit Tool and Spirit Beast. Every individual are able to use one or two (if you have Twin Spirit). If you know what you want to add to your current Spirit Tool/Spirit beast, you know which monster to hunt for rings.
    You did say it was random and that's also an added bonus of 'not everything you want will be given, so make do with what you have'.

But that's exactly what makes Avatar great :hmm:
    If you can imagine it, you can do it.

Which DD has. Support Spirit user ( like the pagodas) create a culture/community of inviting powerhouses and strong people into their clan to be supported. The powerhouse can gain even more power through the support, and the support obtain protection from the powerhouse.
    And that's just one of them.

It is only at this point (not in OP) that you added this.
    Anyways, you basically described how he used his hammer.

http://blue-silver.forumotion.com/t20-spirit-system

14. Jastolus

Jastolus [Anti-Nihilist] [Captain]

Reading List:
    Link
    You should try 'The Zombie Knight'. It's about people with nigh infinite regenerative capabilities that each have a single supernatural ability. These are abilitys such as creating a certain physical element like iron, hydrogen, carbon, controlling laws of physics like electromagnetism or gravity to give a few examples. The beginning is a bit slow, but it is constantly getting better.

Also recommended: 'Unsong'. It has an interesting Systems based on Jewish mythology/Religion. In it's entirety, it is one of the most unique systems I know. You will also learn something about said religious mythology. Defenitely read it sometime.

And of Course there is also 'Worm', a Story about People with super powers where your creativity in how you use your abilities is one of the most important factors to your battlepower (and utility).
    All of those are English Webnovels

15. Echki

Echki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well all his books have interesting plots and unique magic system. You can try out the mistborn trilogy

16. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Blake charltons 'Spellwright' series has a interesting concept for magic, as every school of magic has different methods of castings and has their own specialities.

Air mages cast magic through their respiratory systems and can only enchant cloth. They can turn a bolt of silk into a deadly construct that can fight or into glider that they can use to fly around in.

17. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want western fantasy books, I would recommend L.E. Modesitt's Spellsong Cycle (magic done through music, differentiates between living and non-living targets of spells) and Saga of Recluce (Order vs Chaos magic) for two interesting magic systems. Jim Butcher's Codex Alera also has a pretty good system (magic based on forming bonds with elemental spirits). Then there's Sharon Shinn's Elemental Blessings series (only five mages in the world, but each has near-unlimited power over their elements. Plus, each element is also associated with a corresponding human body part. The Prime of Water and Blood can control the sea, reverse a man's bloodflow, and detect bloodlines just by a single touch.)

18. Sintress

Sintress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm though not magic persay the superpower system in my story goes by rankings up to 10, 10 being the strongest and 1 being normal people. The Vespidian follows Vesper after her unfortunate change into a wasp creature and her attempts to be a hero. fair warning the mc is a little crazy what with talking to herself.