Discussion Stuff about stories I MTLed and other cool stories

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AardwarkThe2nd, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, hello! I spent two months caught in total MTL craze. After finishing my primary stories (Great Dao Commander and Way of the Devil; caught up) and Overgod Ascension (finished), I came to report on them!

I'll just talk about charm points and stuff I liked, I am not the kind to MTL stuff I hate. The one point you might not like is there is somewhat low focus/ lack of romance. Discussion is spoiler free until you click on tags.

Great Dao Commander:
    TLDR: 10/10, high level battles, nice intelligent MC, one sect.

OK, the story begins with intelligent MC joining a sect as a Lv.0 mortal to get cultivation resources and rise to lv.1 cultivator, slowly rising in prestige and power... and currently he is lv.8 Cthulhu, still a part of the same sect, still searching for his Sect Ancestor's legacy across multiple worlds.

That's kinda because Sect Ancestor is more or less the strongest cultivator in the setting, and Sect is also more or less the strongest. Yay, it is the MC bullying small sect trash instead of being small sect trash!
    Single Sect Setting, I really like that for some reason.

After that, cultivation and MC's power progress is the best. After 1200 chapters of xianxia progression, it is revealed that lv.6 cultivators have time and karma powers (instead of space and elemental powers). And whoa, time-karma based fights are epic, I really liked them while they were prominent.
    And the reason for them going out of style is... the higher power level being lv.7 God-level, all nearly unkillable and requiring huge power and godlike techniques to kill.
    And the further level after that is... rising to the level of lv.8 Cthulhu, actually unkillable and able to modify time, space and karma to create worlds with a thought.

Only sad thing is lack of romance. ...That's the way I like it so YMMV.

Way of the Devil:

TLDR:
    High speed cultivation, multiple worlds with worldbuilding, nice worldview of MC, no filler-fast pace

The cheat allows for high speed power progression, the author's writing allows for fast pace and the story's template allows amazing world building! Many worlds, many cultivation paths and one MC treading the strongest path!

The pace and power progression is the best. Get Lost, the author, likes stories with worldhopping that are covered quickly. That said, writing never feels dry like author is just getting through filler.
    Horror, politics, faction building... all sorts of different genres are handled smoothly as we follow our MC on his path.

It is a really fun novel to read in a way GDC isn't. Short chapters, fast pace and not one word of filler.

Overgod Ascension:

TLDR: 9/10. Amazing MC, world hopping, scheming, destiny bullshit.

I proposed this novel on LNMTL way back, as it is kinda a sequel to Warlock of the Magus World. If WMW was focusing on the 'western fantasy of mages' OA focuses on 'eastern fantasy of cultivation'.

Multiple worlds and worldhopping + the Plagiarist specialty of scheming = all my likes!!!

MC isn't as evil as Leylin, and there is more focus on first wife who he loves the most. There are army battles as well along with a interesting focus on destiny and fate. Also, Western Fantasy worlds and the legacy of Leylin!

The first half is like Wuxia Terror Infinity. The second half is like WMW's second half, the pursuit of eternal life. There are some nice Chinese quotes about monsters, marriage, divine rituals, etc. from actual mythical books like The Classic of Mountains and Seas. MC's wife is really ambitious and wants to become Emperor of China (Hen rules the roost!). All around enjoyable though I liked the above two more so one point lesser.

Since I am making a post after a long time, I'll make some small talk about novels I find interesting but won't be reading.

Let's call it Good, Bad and Ugly! (Warning: Two of the novels are actually good)

Good: Legend of the Cultivation God
    Reasons to read: Actual character progression, many worlds and cultivation paths and a enjoyable MC
    Reason I won't read: 5000+ chapters, with one chapter being 3X size of a MGA chapter.

Bad: Grasping Evil (Bad like a bad girl!)
    Reasons to read: Fast paced cultivation, huge harem, loads of sex, evil MC, many worlds, destiny and samsara and a really interesting and enjoyable MC
    Reasons I won't read: 1000+ chapters, with one chapter being 3X size of a MGA chapter, loads of sex (MTL butchers it)

Ugly: Girl Let Me Teach You Cultivation
    Reasons to read: loads of slaughter of young masters, MC is like the crown prince in Empress genre novels (female lead is devoted to him before he sentences her to execution)
    Reasons to not read: have a good look at the second reason to read, simply search NUF for this novel's spoilers

I could add a fat rant on this novel, but it is not by me. Really descriptive, really spoilery. But no need, just search spoilers for this story.

2. TecladoWarrior

TecladoWarrior New Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. AardwarkThe2nd

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, MTLing isn't stupid! It might reduce your grammar abilities but it is a necessary price for passion!

4. CandyAddict

CandyAddict Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have more dedication than I

5. BumChikiBum

BumChikiBum "Notice me, Onii-chan!~"

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much words in one post (dumbfounded in spanish)

6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Nuffers don't have to worry about their grammar becoming worse, because they don't have any to begin with. :^)

Anyway, imo saying that Way of the Devil doesn't have any fillers is a bit of an overstatement, because there's quite a lot of chapters where nothing really happens, and it's painfully obvious for anyone reading the subpar HTL on QI (and the atrocious translation speed on top of that.)

It's not really those annoying kinds of fillers however, so I'm assuming it's totally ok when you can binge read a stack of chapters in one go. (One of the main reasons to read MTL in the first place.)

7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    How did MTL ruin Grasping Evil? Can you quote a bit of what it's like during "those" scenes?

8. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek: Hey screw you! The MTL for Grasping Evil is just fine and the story is 10/10, must-read for anyone who likes harem and cultivation.:blobtriumph:

And yeah there's some sex but not as much as people who only read the first 100 chapters make there out to be. Most of the focus is on cultivation and story which are both amazing, the sex scenes are just the cherry on top.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  9. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed I am currently reading castle of black iron by letting chrome translate the site. It's shit to read but sometimes it's worth suffering a bit for a good story.

Astaroth likes this.
  10. Random lurker

Random lurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    watching your post fills me with Determination to MTL-ing

Deleted member 110464 likes this.
  11. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't ruin it, the MTL for GE is fine IMO. Just that the writing style is pretty unique so it might take a little getting used to at first, but it grows on you. I actually like the style, it's hard to explain without reading it yourself though.

The sex scenes aren't particularly detailed in the first place. More descriptive than the likes of ATG but not that much. There wasn't anything I couldn't understand from the MTL though but that might be because I'm used to reading it.

This is one of the earlier ones if you want example. It's probably one of the more detailed ones as the later ones generally aren't as descriptive.
    „You are my wife!” Ning Fan frowned, hugs into Zhi He the bosom maliciously, how take pity on silly thing! “

The weather was dark, moonlight pale yellow, the wind and snow are just tight. Here does not have the boudoir to be warm, red candle drags, has, is only a curtain day on the ground, love affair.

Bosom of Ning Fan, good warm quite warm. In the Zhi He autumn waters big eye, fills anxiously, she realized suddenly that Elder Brother Fan wants to make anything.

„Elder Brother Fan, here, here is not suitable to make that...”

Her words have not said that was actually stopped up the fragrant lip by Ning Fan one, the fragrant tongue was invaded.

„You are my wife!” In the Ning Fan eye, firm does not change, he takes off the black cloak, the shop on the ground, holds Zhi He horizontally, puts on in Heichang. The hand strokes gently in the Zhi He tender body, is solving the button, is away from light silk garment, feels Linglong (exquisite) that Zhi He budding beauty has not opened.

Ning Fan to Zhi He, is the deep love, non- only passion, non- only love, but has reposed Life and Death together forever.

Zhi He is Innate Bewitching Bone, three months of cultivation «Beautiful Woman Yin Secret Art», may suppress Bewitching Bone, but was selected the lane by Ning Fan, expression in the eyes gradually is blurred, blurred, has the unknown anxiety, anxious, there is an inexplicable anticipation.

She and Ning Fan already Joyous Union two, but the first time Ning Fan stupor, the manner is crude, leaves behind painful memory to her, the 2nd stupor, is completely spiritless, she also does not remember that has what comfortable.

This one time, is her first time is holding Ning Fan soberly.

„Elder Brother Fan... Does not want...” She felt that the fox fur coat untied by Ning Fan, begs for mercy flustered. She felt that silk garment buckles the solution, stomacher tears off by Ning Fan, front Liangliang (cool), covers the milk-white bosom hastily, smooth, grasps gracefully... But Ning Fan under moves once more, her whole body feels weak numb, shames closes one's eyes... A heat flow, making her both legs not control self strokes gently...

„Do not look... Do not bump... Does not want... Um...”

tender moan, lightens Ning Fan expression in the eyes inopportunely. Zhi He is quite anxious, is quite anxious. She felt that the body gets better strange, as if had any thing to flow...

She sees Ning Fan to take off the clothing, reveals thin and weak, but fair chest. Her expression in the eyes is blurred, only thinks Elder Brother Fan at this moment, incomparably handsome...

„Elder Brother Fan, I quite uncomfortable...” Her breathing like an orchid, is bringing tender soft moan.

„Where uncomfortable, here...”

” „Quite pain! No... Does not want...”

Strange, is quite strange, is hurts obviously, why may, quite comfortable...

Zhi He is not clear, her many matters do not think clearly, she pants for breath more and more tangled up, she holds in the arms the Ning Fan nape of the neck merely, as to paste tightly, tightly...

It is not clear, not clear... The quiet plum that her busy tender body, such as in the snow and ice puts, making Ning Fan even more cling.

Grand Dao of Yin-Yang, Synthesis Dual Cultivation, this, is the human relations. Many cultivator, thinking cultivation must defend Primordial Yang not to lose close, seriously is the big erroneous. Many Demon Cultivator, think that Joyous Union is harvesting Yin to supplement Yang, is the blunder!

That does not repair to hold, but is escape, evades the innermost feelings real sentiment...

But Ning Fan, gradually forgot this is one time Dual Cultivation, he was moved seriously, wallows in the Zhi He tender soft body...

The moonlight like the plate, under the ice wall, a pair of sweetheart is complicated continuous. The ice-cold wind and snow, only have each other body to be warm.

„... Um... Um...” The faint respite, making the dim light of night add charmingly.

Long time, Zhi He shivers suddenly fiercely, wants to stop but cannot, the entire tender body changes makes the rose color.

Spring, will front swiftly in the black overcoat of ground, soaks, bringing the light body to be fragrant, the taste that attracts.

But Ning Fan is also lowly roars one, achieves Peak.

Has released the body, he is pressing Zhi He, actually does not hate to depart. But under the body, actually hears Zhi He luxurious sound gently, the small face still the blood flushes, actually exhaustedly went off.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. AardwarkThe2nd

Reading List:
    Link
    What above guy said. Well, I don't really want to read it. Mostly due to heavy focus on romance rather than H-stuff. If you read my post, I like emotionless, romance-less worldhopping protagonists.
    Overgod Ascension got the point off mostly for the romance :)
    Ah, reading a novel on Google Translate without terms is hard. If you have 75% reading comprehension, terms increase it to 85%, with 90% in certain cases.

13. AardwarkThe2nd

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's the way it is. But filler is low and pace is fast, so it makes it easy to binge read if you have a stack.

14. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, there are plenty enough good novels with terms on LNMTL, trying to read through an entire 1000+ chapter CN with only Google Translate would probably give me ebola.

15. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Explain what you mean. Apart from LNMT I am a complete noob to MTL.

16. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what's being referred to specifically (I didn't really read through tbh), but since 'writing style' was mentioned I'll go out on a limb and explain one thing at least.

Basically, google translate, systranet, and so on, they translate in a certain way with the same kind of phrasing etc every time. But there's more ways than one to actually write, so depending on in what order the author type the characters, what kind word choices, and all that kind of stuff, the translation will be more or less effective.

Then there might be a lot of uncommon slang and what not, stuff that the Machine simply isn't up to speed with yet (usually common phrases and such are fixed/submitted by users, so the more common ones will have better/more accurate translations, while uncommon ones might just look completely retarded cause google translate or whatever just translate the characters separately without knowing anything.)

Anyway, so making terms (i.e. creating a glossary) can make it easier since you'll make them specifically for the novel you're reading. You'll know the names of all the characters in the novel etc, so you don't have to worry about google taking their names literally, and obscure names for techniques, places, sects, etc can all be fixed easily.
    I didn't like the beginning so I put it on hold, later when I was thinking about giving it a shot again I heard about the Author having to censor the novel and stuff, so I'm not sure how that turned out.

17. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    It didn't affect what was already on LNMTL, only the raw which is on Qi as far as I'm aware. It doesn't have that much affect on the latest chapters either, at least no noticeable difference to me.

18. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    Great dao commander sounds nice, but unfortunately :/// not enough chapters. If I binge read what is out now it wouldn't be enough for half a molar.

19. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To summarise what I was asking before. I want to know how to improve the quality of the MTL I am reading. Can you teach me how?

20. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It's to make your own glossary/dictionary of terms.

For example, if you know what the name of the characters are, there's no reason to let google translate or another Machine Translation software translate it.

Systranet has it's own built-in functionality to allow you to make your own terms/glossary/dictionary, which should work pretty good since it's already integral to the system.

What I use when I MTL on my own is Word Replacer II (chrome browser extension), and then a MT. One problem with this is that Word Replacer II doesn't allow me to see the original raws without disabling it and that since it's not part of say google translate or systranet, they don't work together that well.

If there's something you want to ask specifically or whatever, maybe we should talk in private messages or something to not completely derail the thread...

Zerak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.