Discussion Sub V Dub

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by ABMAINA, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, so I don't know much history but every so and so I read a forum post by someone who watches sub and they make people who watch dub sound like they killed their parents, wtf happened that cause this feud

2. maou99sama

maou99sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dubs killed our parents.

Paps, Tim Tam, gary0044187 and 6 others like this.
  3. lnelement

lnelement Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think at the end of the day for me it's a matter of preference and how you're watching the anime. I can't watch subbed anime on a small phone screen, it's just too hard for me. Or if i'm multi-tasking watching anime and work, I wouldn't focus 100% on the sub, i'd rather have it in english so I can follow it and work at the same time. On the other hand a lot of dubbed anime have really bad VA and/or translation and it kind of ruins the original atmosphere created by a Japanese VA. You just don't feel as much emotions in the voice in english vs JP voice acting. If i'm at home in front of my monitor/tv i'd rather have it subbed. Up to you how you feel about it.

Paps and craz like this.
  4. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time the voice actors for the dub are quite terrible, look at AOT eren has this edgy super annoying voice when he is mad

runsing likes this.
  5. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Quality of dubs usually isn't that great, the syncing also isn't that good sometimes either. Ruins the immersion half the time, especially if the show is set in Japan etc. That being said, some shows get a bit messy when they try to use English (like black lagoon) so I think there are some shows where you would at least have an argument for them.

Not that I'd be arguing for them.

6. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    im always under the impression dubbed voice are always made half-assed and always breaks the real feeling behind a scene unlike in the original voice

7. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Once you've experience the original voices you'll never be the same again! :aww:

Anyway..... The Japanese VA's got more experience (after all they got those VA school for anime and such) and the requirement for becoming a VA for an Anime is quite high they ain't gonna hire some random VA with no background or experience if i recall correctly. Also the animation for the lips was originally made for the Japanese language that's why when its being dubbed to another language the original script will be modified to match the lips animation.

Paps, AliceShiki, gary0044187 and 2 others like this.
  8. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Sub! The dubs aren't good most of the time. If I have a choice I like to watch the subbed versions.

gary0044187 likes this.
  9. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Weebs who can't admit some dubs are better than subs, like Death Note and Dragon Ball Z. They first watched sub and after that they can't accept the dub because in their mind only the sub is fitting. Though in general dubs suck.

gary0044187 likes this.
  10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't really stand english dubbed anime in general, even the dubs that are usually praised as good.
    Rather than dubs being bad though I think I'm just more likely to accept cheesy dialogue if I can't understand the spoken language and can't really spot the flaws in the delivery aside for the emotional aspect.

Paps, ShadowFish and Midnight Rain like this.
  11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Most dubs are low budget dubbing made by low budget VA. In Japan VA is an actual industry and those VAs have a lot of influence and support creating higher quality. VAs(for anime at least) is made up of generic cheap actors who reuse voices.

Even worse, many english dubs are censored or have their meanings completely change for some weird reason. To give an example, I remember one anime had "Lets hurry up and catch up to our friends" changed to "Lets hurry back and grab some pizza"... why? I have no clue...

This is why many dubs are inferior overall, but that doesn't mean all dubs are bad per se...

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  12. Martin2556

Martin2556 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not like watching anime with dub looking like that very annoying

13. DZ_Spellcaster

DZ_Spellcaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Subs all the way. You can't eat dub anyway.

Midnight Rain likes this.
  14. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Subs for me but if it's available on my local dialect then I'll go for dub

15. zhifangshifu-senpai

zhifangshifu-senpai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    boku only want to listen to pure nihonjin voice desu
    anyway, dubs are all trash since the actors are shit.

16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Not this classic argument again. I dont really get the hate from either side in this fight but then im a fence-resident. I dont mind either as long as it's done well. I started watching anime with a subbed series, watched some dubs as a soft way into heavier anime watching then expanded back out to subs.

Some series ive only watched in dub, others ive watched in both. I will agree that there are a few anime series that are far superior in original jpn voices than their dubs. *cough*Kancolle*cough* *cough*Love Live and Love Live Sunshine*cough*

People who only watch subs are elitist nubs concerned with the purity of anime watching.
    People who only watch dubs are generally too lazy to read subtitles or listen to a foreign language.

Midnight Rain likes this.
  17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Dubs sold my country to the orcs in a previous life.

Anyhow, while I won't say all dubs are bad, most dubs are made half-assed by people who tried to cut costs. For a long explanation, read @Inv above, coz Ai-chan really has nothing good to say about dubs and I think I've only watched one dubbed anime that is good, but I can't recall what that was. Was it Chobits, maybe?

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Midnight Rain

Midnight Rain The 5th is around~

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are we necroing this thread?
    Is this thread is subbed or dubbed?

19. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so I would argue that it depends on the Dub, some dubs are garbage. Then again, I cannot stand when female characters are insanely high pitched (Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War for example) which is apparently pleasant to japanese men, but it just reinforces my belief that their whole country are pedophiles. But generally, the japanese vas are better than the person doing the translation. consider the following, notice the choice of wording in the subs and the dubs, notice the voices, which has more impact? which is more meaningful?

Edit: Apparently the way this forum embeds media doesn't allow time specific references, you will have to fast forward to the correct point in time yourself.

#t=2m48s
    #t=1m05s

my answer for that would be that the japanese voice actor sounded more dignified, even the choice of words for the english speaker were more dumbed down and lost power. In this scene at least, the subs are far superior, especially when we are talking about the way a well loved character faces his mortality, that in itself says a lot. the whole quality of the scene is devalued by a poor choice of voice actor and poor choice of translation.

S4TY4 likes this.
  20. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    You can eat subs, but dubs squeak when chewed.

(I had a very strange mental image of "rub a dub dub, 3 men in a tub", so dub means rubber ducky, right? And all you BL fans, SHUSH!)

So random, it squeaks!