Spoiler Suddenly Became A Princess One Day

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Shizun, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    We have all our ways of coping. Mine is trying to ignore releases until that scenario has passed .I dont think I can do it though .

Ah...if I could slap some sense into Claude without risking my mortality.

Dragon_Reader and Kei-Em03 like this.
  2. ReadingNovelsAtaCafe

ReadingNovelsAtaCafe New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just made an account to post, and was sifting through the comments about Jennette. Well, you're free to think what you like about her in the end, but I just wanted to point out some things that seem slightly misconstrued whether that's due to what chapter or information was told at said time, but well it happened.

Well this is based on reading the webtoon with few assumptions using what we've seen of Jennette so far at it's current point (chapter 45-46) which maybe some people did change their view since we weren't all at this point in the previous postings. Well note that there are spoilers below up to this point, and well if you're in the spoiler section, that's to be expected., though I collapse both 1 and 2 into spoiler tags to make it easier to open and scroll through, sorry didn't even realise I wrote such a long post in the morning @_@

Well yes, this indeed happened, right on Athy debutante. The thing was, Jennette was if you look at the panel equally as frighten of Claude (thou she certainly a optimistic girl based on last encounter with Claude in recent chapters) at that exact moment, there really was no helping at the time. Now does this mean she completely neglected Athy situation past that point. Chances are probably not. Because it was already stated that Jennette always dreamed about having a family, which I would like to assume means having a loving family relationship with both Claude and Athy. Also, given your typical Main Heroine which it seems this novel is playing off on for Jennette, there probably less chances that Jennette was like, let's forget my poor sister, but we won't know.

We also know from Ch. 3 of the webtoon, that the sister must have interacted quite a bit, since precious Athy went out of her way to help out Jennette (which hurts more because it wasn't like she was acting as a Villianess, she did her best to help Jennette). Bringing up the fact that Jennette always wanted to have this loving family relationship, unless Athy straight up hid (which is possible, and well Jennette might have been too much in the clouds to notice), or Athy denied help that I'd at least think in typical heroine fashion that Jennette would have at least tried to help if not multiple times Athy situation with Claude.

Then again, knowing Jennette so far, she is still quite naive (for example, even if I was asking for advice on a present, I certainly wouldn't ask said stranger or let said stranger pass/touch the item unless they were someone who was dressed as a store clerk, especially not in a world of magic), so perhaps she didn't notice at all, which is shame on her I guess, but we have no idea how their interactions were or what events happened other then Athy helping out. Leaving us to using some of second life Jennette to fill in some of the possible interactions.

I'm just saying, yes she's naive and innocent, but it's hard to believe seeing the current chapters that Jennette decided to purposely ignore Athy circumstances. But could have been a variety of things (such as Past Athy not wanting to burden Jennette with her troubles, maybe they tried and it just failed because Claude narrowed it in on Jennette doing good and not Athy instead, or some other circumstance but we don't know since we get very broad details of what happened when reincarnated Athy explains).

Yes, yes indeed that was also sad for Athy. But the thing is I don't think Jennette even had a chance to stop it. Chances are she either based on the poisoning incident, was in a coma or simply did not know until Claude was executing her. Well I'd like to think she was most likely in a coma the whole time simply based on the recent incidents in the webtoon from 40-44. The fact that Jennette is the only one willing to stand and help Athy get away from the "dangerous beast" rather then run off like all the other ladies did (well she failed magnificently if you think about it still being somewhat idle beside Athy since she didn't jump right to block the non-dangerous Blackie from pouncing Athy, but maybe Blackie just that fast, or Jennette simply has poor reaction skills). In the very least, it implies she cares about her "family" to the point she'd be willing to risk her life for it. Also a couple of other things that happened such as being closed by when the reaction happened, getting blown away from said reaction when she tried to help, but some of those things are more of in the moment rather then her being brave like the first point. Which plays into the role of Jennette had always wanted a family and in typical "Heroine" fashion, she probably treasures Athy to risk her life for it, hopefully something that was also the case in her first life.

So, then some people might ask why is our MC a bit wary of Jennette still at first, she clearly must be some evil Heroine just like those reincarnation novel. Well probably on the basis of two throught process. One, she has no idea how second life Jennette is really like, already proven by the fact her father, Claude, became more "human" over time and in fact become a doting father (which was a great scene during the debutante when MC/Athy could also finally admit seeing him as a father despite all the crap he's done and put her through, it's sure has come a long way). Second, the fact that just the fact she was near Jennette during a poisoning incident set off her own death flag. Which yeah, if I was killed for a crime I didn't do, just by simply being next to someone favourite person and my executioner was someone who hates me, then yeah, I would not be comfortable at all at first or perhaps forever. Hence why you get the dialogue bit that she's finally letting her guard down cause her relationship with Claude has changed entirely. But even then, I'm all with MC/Athy having her guard up initially, because even if Jennette hadn't done anything to her, simply being with her was what got said character killed in the first place.

Which brings to the next point of "she totally got off with a happy life". Not exactly. Okay certainly happier then Athy, but it wasn't a super happy life. First off it was said she felt guilt over Athy death. Again, based on her character in second life, I don't think Jennette would have let Athy get executed. She was at least in second life willing to risk her life to save her sister. Chances are, I bet as I mention earlier, she was in a coma and by the time she woke up, the deed was done. And it was only said that her guilt was comforted away by her fiance. Not saying that Ijekil in first life did the deed himself (cause well he is also precious in his own right chasing Athy), but for all we know, chances are she might have been brainwash, cursed, or been bewitch by someone else considering what we saw. Or maybe she did eventually put that ordeal behind her without any evil influences, but we only have ah, "They got married the end" before the "Just kidding, EVERYTHING WENT TO HELL" after that. So no, she didn't get away scott free, she lost her dear sister due to an incident that totally didn't need to happen, and didn't even get a chance to save her, and well first life is probably a huge mess since it seems like the "antagonist" succeeded under the layer of "happy life".

Anyways yeah, she's naive, innocent, and probably bland to some people, which I'm not going to argue. And I'm not saying that she 100% should be absolved for whatever happened in her past life, cause she could have probably done more well at least we assume she could do more given no details. But there definitely things that have been brought up in recent chapters that has changed what I thought of Jennette that I wanted to share.

So, yes, this is just what I thought of Jennette based on how she is currently in second life and details that our precious Athy has told us so far of what happened in first life and just forming an image of her and what might have been possible events in first life since it doesn't seem like she's that different from what Athy read. Not every card that could have changed Athy circumstance was in Jennette hand and it's really a tragedy of both princesses, one who was neglected and wanted fatherly love, and one who wanted a family, but used in a political plot to destroy that very family. Just Athy, the MC, needs that leg up compared to Jennette. Because let's be real, even with everything that happened underneath the surface, Jennette did get away relatively happy (or maybe it's more of a bitter sweet if you take everything else into account, that's up to you) in comparison to Athy. Just maybe not the "oh my good 100% positive nothing wrong here Happy ending" as we initially thought. But then again, perhaps second life Jennette is nothing like first life Jennette, maybe first life Jennette got manipulated more easily, or things played out different that she's more of a selfish Jennette in first life, but I guess you could also say none of that matters now because the story has already shifted course every since Athy met Claude 4 years earlier then the original timeline (or maybe it does, cause you shouldn't be absolved of the sins of your past life, well to each your own on that point). Just saying to be a bit more sympathetic of Jennette, cause first life Jennette road despite everything the happiness she did find sure is going on a bumpy road one based on current chapters reveal. The poor girl can't also can't get a break as she almost killed Athy again indirectly for a second time. Also poor Athy TT.TT cause she just got everything to work out and then boom it was destroyed. I hope first Athy reincarnated somewhere happy, maybe a spinoff of first Athy in our world (probably own't happen, but hey, who can't dream) as our transmigrated reincarnated Athy perseveres onward on the bumpy road ahead.

Matpatpat and Mino Micha like this.
  3. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting take and I believe this is the general take among people who understand the role of Jeannette. Let me preface that II don't actively hate Jeanette and I hope for good development of her character.

Like many here, I am annoyed by her personality. If you aren't familiar with the term white lotus, the reference is a few pages back. Jeannette is a white lotus and I tend to not to like white lotus characters because they represent an idealistic world that is neither impractical and not relatable character to me as a reader.

As per your points, you do have points. But keep in mind this: we are 'seeing' the novel and the toon in Athy's perspective. The reincarnated Athy who has previous knowledge of the novel and the fate of her character. newAthy's reference has a limited point of view which also translates to us as readers. So anything that Jeanette might have done is the novel is sparse. newAthy's actions are to deal with situation she encounters and make sure that her death wont be repeated again (because the real Athanasia technically is already dead).

So, Athy that we know doesn't have an idea on what Jeanette has done in the novel. She probably didn't care because Jeannette isn't her priority. Her priority is to make sure she doesn't end up dead. She knows Jeanette is a pawn, both in the novel and the current timeline - a reason she befriends her, although with some suspicion, because she also didn't think Jeanette is that kind of person.

My only beef with Jennette is per personality. Yes, it's a subjective opinion and I am biased against her because of this. In the novel, we don't know her circumstances and her effort. All we know is she got a happy ending coz she's the MC. But I hated that she threw her principles of having a family to get a happy ending. Yes, we really don't know. But it looks and feels that way. But I hope that her future actions will eventually led for happy endings for both of them. I can sympathize with Jeanette but I don't see myself really warming to her. It's just like real life, there are some people who I cant really like. But it doesn't mean I want to nail her to a cross. As long as she makes an effort to help Athy, I am content with that.

Hope this covers your points.

edited for brevity, grammar things and emphasis

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. ReadingNovelsAtaCafe

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said. Personality wise, that's fair game, in terms of whether you warm up to it or hate it. And yeah I understand that there a limited view point which also gives us the idea in the first before we got more exposition that Jennette in the simplest way sacrificed Athy for her happy family life. But it really can be expanded via making inferences, well assuming you not making wild assumptions, which I think you agree that I'm not exactly making. This is beyond the scope of show instead of tell since it's using parts of the story as a way to infer events whether future or past events. Also like I did say and see that you're agreeing with, for have such a limited scope that as much as I say these points using second life Jennette current personality, that could easily crumbled if first life Jennette was different. I just think that assuming first life Jennette unless otherwise is widely different had no choice in the matter and was forced by outside forces toward "happy end" rather then what she originally wanted based on what we have and can infer so far. Certainly the first couple of chapters and also definitely what the author uses to make you care more for Athy is that limited scope of information. Not saying I disagree, you definitely made to feel that way of Jennette at first. A girl who has no idea how the world works and then similarly ruined poor Athy and Athy wasn't even a proper Villianess unlike most novel settings.

Just wanted to say, that we've also gotten a lot more stuff to make some fair inferences now that it really was out of her hand (feels less believable now that she willingly gave up happy family life for "happy ending" then it did before), well assuming Jennette is not someone who would so easily give up her family life principle which at least current chapter show she wasn't with new Athy.

Well, I also do admit to have a bias or rather I enjoy the story so much more where it isn't so cliche that the "main heroine" is the true villian, and that she either becomes friend with MC, gets to learn more from the MC to be less... well ditzy or even maybe they just never cross paths and she just goes off her own way other then maybe rare non story related encounters which is also think is something rare as a plot point that I haven't seen much off/yet :p.

5. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I am glad we agree on most points.

I highlighted some points in your response.

In there, you say that Jeannette has no choice in matter, was forced, A girl who has no idea how the world works. The very definition of a white lotus.

Yes, we assumed because there are no contradicting perspectives to what is presented and we infer. And based on that assumptions and inferences, me as a reader sees and feels Jeannette as naïve and uncaring (my own personal opinion) due to her inaction. Which resulted in a tragedy. In this scenario, for me the end does not justify the means, especially if there was an expressed or revealed intention to have a good and positive relationship like having a family. For me, Jeannette’s desire (having a family) contradicts her actions. Her very trait and nature overwrites everything and that is why for me, she is not effective, forgettable and at the worst, the brunt of all scrutiny.

That is why I refuse to typecast her as the villainess coz she isn’t (she is a white lotus deifnately) but being a white lotus she enabled the villains (her father and the duke). The latter is the problem for me. In a nutshell, she is a bystander and ‘lucky’. Which contributes to the unfairness of the ending where an innocent life has to be the price for other people’s happiness.

I am also linking a similar perspective and reflections to mine in this page: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/suddenly-became-a-princess-one-day.74186/page-11. Post 216 (https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/4673658/) pretty much nails it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    creizreiz likes this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ATrueStory likes this.
  7. MiyaMira

MiyaMira Jobseeking Sloth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Certified Imouto

Reading List:
    Link
    Can we just agree that the actual real villain is actually Mr. White? Everyone suffers in some way even Jenette and her real dad but Mr. White is kinda? get away? free? :hmm::hmm::hmm: Is it because he's the ori!novel hero's father? So he got a plot shield? What happened to him in the end of the novel?

8. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Her real dad, who is Claude's bro is a villain here. He's the black-haired dude Jeannette was walking to in the shop and probably put some sort of black magic in the ribbon. We don't know if Whitey was indicted or punished for treason, the usual crime for this.

9. MiyaMira

MiyaMira Jobseeking Sloth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Certified Imouto

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, but he died in the end, so even as a villain he got his just dessert. But what about Mr. White? He's probably listening to orders but that doesn't mean he's not a villain?

10. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    No word on Whitey. But his son decided not to be Athy's suitor coz his family's actions towards Athy doesn't reflect on his intentions towards her. And he might get slaughtered by Claude in the process.
    Whitey is a villain coz he's doing Claude's bro's handiwork. Why do you think he took in and raised Jeanette? He didn't do it out of the kindness of his heart. He did it to use her to get Claude's bro back to throne, which means no Claude and Athy.

11. ReadingNovelsAtaCafe

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean honestly that's more on assuming she did nothing which I talked about. Like I said before, it's hard to believe that she wouldn't have acted at all based on the current chapters unless outside circumstance occurred. Yet we go back on the direct thought that she just didn't do anything. Which is fine, we have no idea what exactly happen. But that's probably where we'll differ until we get more exposition otherwise. Cause what I infer is that it just too unlikely that she didn't take action, in fact, she probably was incapacitated at the time of the deed was done. I guess at that point it's we agree to disagree on what we infer on though.

Also, that viewpoint that you agree, I don't disagree with the idea that the bystander should take responsibility, though I think it's a case by case scenario, even more so if it was something they could prevent directly versus something they couldn't prevent due to x, y and z. And unless she during said event did nothing as you said, then I really can't say she should bear anything until we learn more. I mean, everyday someone going to get lucky just by being a bystander and persecuting them for things that are out of their control, is not something I think should happen. But yeah, that's the difference between what you and said person inferred versus what I inferred at this point.

With regards to Mr. White, I'd assume that Mr.White was probably also executed or imprison, he probably disappeared in terms of importance as we reached end game. Alas, what happens to all lackeys I guess.

12. Fiorisi

Fiorisi [WenNing's Waifu] [Chongy's Mum] ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...yes, how the original story went is still blurry. Jenette could've possibly done something for original Athy but one could argue she didn't do more for her. Jenette would've made a perfect icebreaker for Athy & Claude. Yet, all she seemed to have done is "melt Claude's heart" and nothing more. She didn't try to help Athy connect to her dad.

There are three main things that bother me about Jenette: 1. How she said "Forget the bad stuff" to Claude 2. In the original Debutant Ball, chapter 24, "It did bother Jenette, the sad lonely figure of her stepsister, but there was nothing she could do for her."

The last one is personal so 3. can be ignored. I've come across characters similar to Jenette before and all of them irritated me. The type of characters who are faultless and yet are not. I want to blame them for something but then blame them for what exactly? They didn't plan for the bad stuff, and it's not like they treated the MC horribly, yet at the same time, they could've acted/done more to ease the situation.

Number 3 is the main reason why whenever I come across these types of characters I remain neutral.
    It saves me from the headaches :sweating_profusely:

ATrueStory likes this.
  13. ReadingNovelsAtaCafe

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed I mentioned earlier about some of these things. It's also very possible that Jennette did try and Claude simply would have had none of it. Also the possibility of original Athy (who despite all her gloom, actually had numerous amount of heroine quality as well, that universe author choose the wrong girl to focus on) might have been so selfless that she denied help or maybe out of fear, Athy pushed it away as to not "anger her father". Super hard to help people if said people don't respond to it, or don't want to see things eye to eye. Meeting Claude earlier is definitely a factor to helping Claude change his view in the first place. Also with regard to the debutante ball, I felt like it was more at that moment rather ongoing as she also seemed frightened at the time and it's more then likely the sisters interacted since it was stated Athy went to help Jennette a good amount. But that's free to interpretation. With regards to "forget the bad stuff", I... actually forgot which chapter that was so I can't say anything about that at the moment @_@ since I need a refresher on that since it's certainly wasn't in the latest flashback since I last checked (or the site i checked it on missed a page). On the top of my head, it sounds more like a plea to stabilise and salvage whatever left rather then an attempt at manipulation.

Also no, it's totally understandable. Sometimes you just want there to be a reason, regardless of whether it's justified or not. It's a fair emotion to have. Wanting to believe that people could have done more regardless if they could or could not (cause honestly who knows) is a fair feeling to have. I'd like to believe she did all she could, but certainly we can't deny a possibility that if she "tried harder" something might have changed. It also just makes stories that have more grey areas more fun to discuss, cause you get all kind of opinion ranging from what I've said to what you've all have said.

creizreiz, Fiorisi and Food food like this.
  14. Roselyx

Roselyx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is any manga similar to Suddenly became a princess one day that I can read while I wait for the next release?

Fiorisi and kiraikirei like this.
  15. kiraikirei

kiraikirei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you look for the story with MC reincarnated as a baby/child, maybe you could try read 'Daughter of Emperor', and 'I Am A Child of This House'
    If you look for the other reincarnation or reborn theme, I suggest to try read 'Doctor Elise', 'The Reason Why Raeliana Ended Up at Duke Mansion', 'The Abandoned Empress', 'Lady Baby' :blobxd:

J-Susan and immortaltear like this.
  16. Gigicast097

Gigicast097 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does lady baby go by another name it's the only one I haven't read but I can't find it can you tell me where you've read it please?

kiraikirei likes this.
  17. Roselyx

Roselyx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have already read all of the above except ‘Lady Baby’. I think Suddenly became a princess, daughter of the emperor and I am a child of this house are the best! I still waiting on the newest chapter. I enjoy reading doting father to daughter themed manga. I also read Doctor Elise, Reason why Raeliana ended up at duke mansion and the Abandoned empress but there aren’t as good

Diah4918, maecasano and kiraikirei like this.
  18. kiraikirei

Reading List:
    Link
    The title is 'Lady Baby'. I found it on mangago :blobmelt:

19. Linaloo

Linaloo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler

I have read to the current chapter, so this is what happens. Basically, the main character, Anastasia, reads a book about two princesses, the second one named Jennette. When Anastasia was born, her birth was immediately reported to the King, but Jennette was not discovered until she was 14. Long story short, Anastasia tries to get her father to love her and fails, since he only loves Jennette. Jennette gets poisoned, and dies, while Anastasia gets blamed for it. Anastasia gets hanged. Then, our MC gets "reincarnated" into Anastasia, and she successfully wins over her father. She meets Lucas, a prodigy "young" wizard, who becomes her companion, and Alfius, who is the son of a noble. Her father, King Claude, loves her and gives her many gifts. Then, as compensation for Anastasia's ribbon falling at a party, Jennette, who is not on good terms with the king, goes out to find her another one since she feels guilty, even though it wasn't her fault. A guy with black hair (we don't know his background and name yet) goes up to Jennette when she finds the perfect ribbon for Anastasia. While Jennette is occupied and not paying attention, the black haired dude zaps the ribbon with magic. Jennette, unaware, gives the ribbon to Anastasia and Anastasia promises to wear it the next time they meet. She does, but gets zapped with the magic in the ribbon while petting Blackie, her dog made from magic that she cannot contain since her body is too weak. Her magic goes out of control. (This is not the first time. Lucas saved her before, but he is currently trying to reach the World Tree to replenish his magic.) With Lucas gone, Her dad, King Claude, risks his life to save her. She wakes up ten days later, and begs to see her father, who hasn't woken up yet. Anastasia goes to his bed and wakes him up. King Claude wakes up, but has no recollection of her.

This is the summary of the first season. I left some details and characters out, but I was trying to make it short *sweats*

20. kiraikirei

Reading List:
    Link
    In the novel original plot, Jennette indeed got poisoned, but she didn't die. It is said after the Athanasia in the novel died, Jennette seemed to blame herself but soon comforted by the original novel' hero, Ijekiel.
    This is from what I remember :blobReach:

Lerrissia, Shieri and Darcy like this.