Suggestion for finding replacement of headphones.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Koruya, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Koruya

Koruya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey there, NUF. My headphones start to become old and sadly half-working right now. So i looking for replacment.

Right now i have Razer Electra. Not V2, just old, comfy Electra. I did buy it around 5-6 years ago and till now was satisfied with them. They gives awesome sound and with quality of parts of Razer of that time, they are was exactly i was looking for at that time. Since i have standalone mic, i looking in something similar as Electra, that just goes as headphones.

A little hard on my side to choose, because don't have any ideas either. Just don't want any wireless and small ear cushion.

Would be grateful for any suggestion.

2. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sennheiser always seems like a good choice, have been using a Sennheiser PC350 for a while. I haven't used pure headphones in a long time but I had Audio-Technica ATH-M50x marked as a possible replacement.

Since you don't want small ear cushions the keyword you should use when looking is "circumaural" and it really depends on your budget, headphones can get crazy expensive.

3. Shinsori

Shinsori Cliffmeister

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been using HyperX Cloud since forever and have been most satisfied.

4. grinz

grinz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love to use Steel series Flux its a nice headphone with the mic on cord and can be used for celphone or pc.

5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's your price range?
    What will you be using them for?
    What form factor do you want?
    Over-ear, on-ear, or in-ear?
    Open- or closed-back?

6. evildave

evildave Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The very most important consideration is what's comfortable, for you to wear. It doesn't matter how good the headphones are... if they're not comfortable, they're going into a drawer, somewhere, 'forever'.

Then, I guess what sort of environments you mostly expect to use them in? This will decide whether you need a noise cancelling gimmick, or perhaps wireless, or both. Also, probably being 'wired' is the biggest strike against me using the headset that I have. If only they made a little 'wireless adapter' for headphones.

7. Koruya

Koruya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many circumaural headphones, have very tiny ear cushions. They have big space inside of them, but small line of it outside. That not really comfortable.
    Did try Cloud 2 at my friend house, after sitting in them for a day, comes to conclusion, that they are not for me, no argumenst about sound and stuff, but they just sit afwul on my head.
    About comfortables, you are just on point. I mainly using my headphones at home, there is no point using them anywhere else, sometime i did come with them around a house with connected phone to listen to audiobook.

To 100 eu, don't wanna pay more then that, mostly they cost more because of the brand. *says guy who buy arctics 5 for girlfriend for 130 eu*
    Mainly - gaming, music and audiobooks. I did NOT look for gaming headphones tho.
    Does not have any specific wish for that, if they good, if they sit comfy i alright with any, oh expect earbuds of corse.
    Same, minus in-ear. Others, i okay with both.
    Closed-back.

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Koruya likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd suggest something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Bluedio-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-Over-ear/dp/B017H8JXS2
    It's wireless, can get FM, has bluetooth and can answer calls from your phone and you can also insert a MicroSD card to run songs from the MicroSD card.
    [​IMG]

I have it myself, for over 2 years. It functions well and the sound quality is just as good as anything twice its price. Why is it so cheap then? It's because it's entirely made of plastic. There has been some youtube reviews that complain of it snapping within a month of using it. But I've been using it for over 2 years. I had to wonder how rough they were when using it. It can't have been the sunlight, since I've been using it under glaring sunlight as well.

Just be careful of one thing when you make an order. There are two versions, both with the same name. Ai-chan bought both versions because misunderstood. The cheaper one doesn't have MicroSD capability, another one does. If you're not sure, ask the seller if the one you're about to order can run songs from MicroSD or not.

The one Ai-chan linked and the picture below can run songs from MicroSD.
    [​IMG]

Koruya likes this.
  10. Koruya

Koruya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, will look at them and read some info.
    Thanks, not really using SD cards anyway and with mine negative attitude to wireless devises (have bad history with them) i will leave them if don't find anything for my tastes.

11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Check over here, it is a comprehensive list of good headphones and what to expect from them broken down by budget, bass, comfort and etc:

https://www.head-fi.org/articles/headphone-buying-guide.14163/

Here is another more comprehensive list:

https://www.thetechgame.com/Archives/t=2070772/buying-headphones-get-advice-here.html

Personally, $50 and below I'd go with Koss PRODJ 100. I used it for a while, even while traveling. It lasted me 5 years till the plastic sides broke due to me traveling and sometimes sitting on them and the like (it is mostly metal but for some reason the hinges by the side are plastic, Koss has a lifetime warranty as long as you are willing to pay $9 for shipping but I decided to upgrade to Audio Technica M50x since there was a good deal for one at the time which has metal hinges ).

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't be certain, but I don't think that list has been updated for at least a few years. It's lacking newer, updated versions of some of those cans. The world of headphones doesn't move as fast as most would like, but it moves quickly enough that a couple years can see incremental improvements with newer models. That link isn't a bad jumping-off point, but it might lead to some dead-ends with discontinued models or leave out some newer headphones that weren't around when that list was compiled.

13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Overall, most of the improvements get put in the upper end models. The budget models under $100 rarely get much improvement which is most likely what the OP is looking for. There are new entries that appear and some disappear as well but considering it is a comprehensive list, they can just go to the next one on the list. And even if something new came out, it wouldn't be that much better then what was the best a few years ago.

I linked another list which has a bit more options and more updated at thetechgame. (it was actually the original list I was looking for but since that one was similar I confused the two)

14. Koruya

Koruya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally i intentionally avoid any list, because most of them are "expert" opinions and in many ways it biased. I do post here, mainly for ordinary people opinion. But anyway thanks, i will look at them, even if they are 6y old :D

15. evildave

evildave Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My headphones are a wired Sony MDR-7506 'Professional' set. It was relatively affordable among the ones designed to be worn all day. They don't 'pinch' my big ears. Soft on the head. It's not as if I don't know I'm wearing them, though. Same can be said if you are editing audio all day. I only ever did that up to 10 hours at a time, for brief periods, though. So it's not like I got the headphones for casual listening.

Similarly, when shopping for office chairs, be sure to order 'call center' chairs, designed for 24/7 use, especially if you use a desk chair almost that rigorously... like in front of almost any desktop computer. The seat pad won't flatten out, or the chair won't suddenly break. I don't weigh that much, honestly, but programming will put intensive use to whatever you place under your ass, guaranteed. It's not that much more expensive, and worth every penny.

Monitors rated with the best representation of color, for editing artwork. Keyboards that are the most durable with a nice tactile feel. The things you actually TOUCH, interact with and/or provide information to your senses should be your most important investments, if you're looking to do work, instead of just play.

I sure am opinionated, all of a sudden....

Come to think of it, I am probably gonna have to recommend perhaps visiting a physical store. What's comfortable for one person probably won't be comfortable for someone else with big Dumbo ears, like me. Like clothing, you're gonna have to try it on, for fit and comfort. Alas, even if initially comfy, probably most of them turn into sweaty, ear tweaking torture, after a few hours of wearing them. At least for me.

Try typing your zip code into google, along with your headphone searches, and see if you can find a local store that carries them, if possible. Even if you don't buy from that store (for instance, last I checked, 'Best Buy' seemingly carried nothing but colorful headphones branded by musicians of some sorts, with ridiculously inflated prices for the color and logo). Or 'gamer' headphones that *might* do the job... but will usually be made super-cheap. You might be able to do a bit of research and find out who made the most comfy, but overpriced headphones, and buy the $75 model that is just the same as the $150 one.

16. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm wearing the Sennheiser HD 471 right now. Bought it for 80 euros. It being plastic makes it less durable, but it is pretty light. So it sits comfortably on my head, even for like 10 hours. And the build quality isn't bad for a plastic one. Closed headphone. No mic. The sound is pretty good I think, at least for not too pricy headphones. I'm very satisfied. Came included with two cables: a long thick one with a straight jack, and a shorter, thinner one with an angled jack and volume and song control buttons.

In addition, the cable and earcups are replaceable and can be bought off of the Sennheiser website. I personally am not the most ... prudent person: my phone has suffered through a lot and my laptop ... I'm not gonna talk about that one. So for me, parts being replaceable is a big plus. One of the two originally included cables broke and I ordered a new one, as well as a set of earcups. Was 31 euros for earcups and cable. Not cheap, but a lot better than a new headphone.

Remember that when buying online from a store in the EU, you have the right to return the product and get your money back, if you give the seller notice within two weeks of the purchase (or arrival?). Something like that, the exact rule you'll have to check yourself. So you can order online, and send it back or bring it back in a physical store of the seller within that period, if you bought it online.

Edit: they have a relatively flat response and an ok soundstage for the price. No bass enhancements or anything of the sort. I think the 461 or 451 have more bass. Depends on what type of music and personal preference.