Discussion Suggestions for must-read novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many evil villain MC stories, but those usually have the MC be lolrandumb, self harming evil, or break character to white knight for some shit waifu every now and then. Or the MC claims to be a saint while being evil...

But reverend insanity and warlock of the magus world are both different. In those two the MC is competent, the antagonists are competent, both men stick to their path of selfishness and cunning and won't stray for a woman.

Moreover, they only do evil if it actually benefits them, they always weigh the benefits of their actions

Bright_Lucky_Star and Insetient like this.
  2. excr

excr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of the Magus World is trash tier imo. Good thing it isn't on the first post.

Boon, Wujigege and doggo like this.
  3. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read JP WNs, but if I had to make a list of my must reads that I would recommend to even a skeptical reader...

Ascendance of a Bookworm - Probably my favorite WN. Cute and memorable characters, good worldbuilding, actual conflict and character growth, etc. Really fulfilling. I will say that the translation is just reaching the end of arc 1 of 5, but arc 1 is probably the least representative of the series as a whole, and it only really picked up in popularity in Japan from Arc 4. I hope it all gets a good translation someday so more people can enjoy it.
    I Was A Sword When I Reincarnated - Very cute with a decent premise. Has a good standard adventuring in fantasy world story that would be decent all on its own, but I really like how it balances the perspective of its MC, who watches over and protects his wielder, who is essentially the main character when it comes to interacting with others. It's quite interesting and unique, and mirrors the relationship readers have with characters in stories.
    Lazy Dungeon Master - Essentially launched the subgenre of dungeon management and dungeons battling each other. When its at its best, it's really clever and fun to read. It does have a couple cringeworthy elements, but I enjoy reading it enough to overlook them.
    I Said Make My Abilities Average - Does a really good job of explaining and reasoning out stereotypical fantasy elements, and reaches a good compromise of the protagonist being OP, but not quite so OP that they just roll over everybody.
    Kumo Desu Ga, Nani ka? - What got me into this site.
    Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Probably the most representative non-human protagonist isekai story. I feel like the story's a little bit all over the place, and I don't like the official art, but it's representative of the subgenre and very popular.
    The Death Mage Doesn't Want a Fourth Time - Is in the same subgenre, but I honestly enjoy it more. It keeps the plot a bit better focused than Slime, and the Protagonist's growth and leveling is fun to watch.

There are many runner ups that I enjoy but that I think have some sort of issue that would make me hesitant to recommend them too broadly. Stuff like Death March, She Professed Herself the Pupil of the Wiseman, World Teacher, Can't Get Out of Being Jobless, etc.

4. Gutzb4glory

Gutzb4glory Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnator-a dark novel with a gaming element. No real romance. If you like rainbows and sunshine this novel is not for you. This novel is by far my favorite

5. Valera

Valera [Clueless][Kurasa][Alea & Mikki's sister]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the mulberry song is pretty good. Very sad, but good. If you need a good tragedy novel, this is a good one.

6. Minnie_An

Minnie_An Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i finished reading "i shall seal the heaven... and still reading legendary master's wife

7. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not know if it's already been said ....

White peerless emperor - troll mc, amusing, strong as well .
    Plundering the heavens - bandit mc, likes to plot ,scam and rob people .
    Thousand face demonic concubine - reincarnation, revenge, female mc .

tirirism likes this.
  8. BubbleTeaLover12

BubbleTeaLover12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doomed to be cannon fodder - great transmigration novel where the female protagonist actually lives in a normal world has normal skills lol (basically not random God finger type stuff)

Sansheng, wangchuan wushang - (aka 3 lives, death exists not at the river of oblivion) super short but extremely adorable romance xianxia novel. A good way to dip your feet into xianxia without it being super complex and confusing + a good storyline

Meow Meow Meow - not completely translated but that's ok bc I only recommend reading the first part anyway.. but overall cute with good romance + transmigration + xianxia

9. muyusitong

muyusitong New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    紫川 仙魔变 佣兵天下 求魔 亵渎

10. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know if it's already been said but Grasping Evil. Best Xianxia I've read hands down.

The main character Ning Fan never cares what others think of him and follows his own road resolutely. There is good backstory for him with more insights revealed into his past the deeper you get into the story, while there are always clear motives for what drives him. If he wants to kill someone, he'll do it resolutely without excessive talking or trying to act righteously. He doesn't care about infamy. Of course that doesn't mean he slaughters whoever he feels like, generally he only kills people who offend him first. If it's a woman he tends to be more lenient, but if they try to kill him he'll seize them for dual cultivation. Also, he never forgets favours and pays back any gratitude he owes in full.

The cultivation is very intricate and detailed. There are multiple cultivation paths including unique abilities and bloodlines, body tempering, divine sense, Dao Intent and Wielding (for example Dao of Rain/Dao of Darkness/Dao of the Sword). Alchemy also has its own system and gets a decent amount of focus, while not too much that it gets dreary.

The world building is multi-layered but interesting and very well thought out. It feels extremely well-structured while the build-up for new worlds and realms is done in a way that makes you yearn and anticipate to see what is beyond MC's current world.

It is a harem novel and there's a lot of females but none of them ever feel like they've been truly forgotten or discarded by the author even if they're not with MC a lot of the time. There are some similar girls but also a lot with unique/interesting characters and backstories that makes you want to know more about them. One of the very few Chinese harem novels where I feel the harem has actually been done well.

There are absolutely no fillers throughout the entire novel and the plot gets more and more interesting the further you read while there's no drop in quality throughout. The story only gets better after ascension from the original world, which is very extremely rare in this genre of novel.

PS: There's a lot of sex, yes, especially in the first 100 chapters. If you just started reading it's easy to assume it's just an ero novel, but there's far more to Grasping Evil than that. The sex is just the icing on the cake.

11. Lynn Tang

Lynn Tang New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    good story

12. crazykat

crazykat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should add Mushoku Tensei to Ecchi. That novel made me hate harem novels.

13. raj612023

raj612023 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    whre can i find?

14. trias

trias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any Complete Novel on NU

because it is have complete chapter

15. Zethuron

Zethuron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Tutorial is too Hard : Highly recommend, the MC actually is intresting for a korean novel and the fights through every floor are actually good.
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich: Epic Worldbuilding, hilarious maincharacter who keeps shooting himself in the foot, plain good action, sidecharacters are all well developed and funny on their own. Action is just good when it does happen. Do i need to say more? Just read it.

16. Thoth0

Thoth0 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have found the Harry Potter and the Secret Treasure recently saw that it had not been updated in a while so I did some digging and found the the libraryoftime on wordpress is picking up the series and has posted a few chapters.

17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Karm

Karm New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's really a good think to share these link, I just know about wanderinginn.

19. Karm

Karm New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "I was a Sword when I reincarnated " is my all time favorite one. I really impressed by the character of "little Fran".

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of this novels I read and my head hurt. WMW protagonist is a hypocrite.
    Reverend Insanity, nice initially and then the plot armor got a little over the top
    It also became harder to understand character motivations felt like a Naruto- Sasuke plot line
    The homoerotic undertones didn't help.
    Very stupid MC overall doesn't make them any less enjoyable but stop making them into what they are not
    When a character does not fail , then the story doesnt grow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.