Discussion Suggestions for must-read novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... WMW and Reverent insanity are literally the only two villain MCs on the entire novelupdates that are NOT hypocrites. They never deny their evil, they don't engage in random acts of waifu, they never expect kindness from others, they never claim to be good people.

Unlike so many who go "I am a hero, now excuse me while I murder a million people because the great grandson of some big shot that lives in their city is a rapist" Or "I am so evil, oh wait excuse me I gotta go do some heroic things randomly."

Also, its not homoerotic undertones if someone is magically transformed into a girl.
    And the motivations are extremely straight forward in reverend insanity. power at all costs. Not only that but author often explains to the readers in detail why the MC is doing things instead of just having him do things. Although sometimes he leaves it off for a few dozen chapters which could seem a bit baffling.

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasn't referring to those parts but WMW sex with kids by a transmigrated old man does that fly with me. I can't recall others.
    Reverend Insanity had the killing of his oppressor's daughter to increase his cultivation. Seemed genius at the time but the chain of events later just made it pointless.
    My biggest gripe still holds for both : I don't recall any character failing.
    What constituents a good story for me is different than you.
    Goblin Kingdom is the only story I am enjoying. Having a charger character lose battles but win the war is absolutely satisfying.

The lack of romance helps haha

PS the ending of the first book of Reverend Insanity was painfully predictable. I was hoping for anything but that. It was disappointing. It simply reset to the first chapter

3. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no sex with kids, at all, whatsoever in WMW... The only thing I can think of you might be referring to is the slim and short snakewoman MC takes a concubine? but she is hundreds of years old when that happens.

Her innocent and childlike behavior when they first meet is explicitly because she is brain damaged (due to malicious action) when the MC met her, and then he healed her. She quickly figured out what was going on and latched on to him, playing the act of the innocent maiden which is explicitly called out as her trying to do so. And IIRC it was decades after he healed her mind that he actually took her as a concubine.
    He needed a human sacrifice for devil dao method to break through to higher realm due to lack of talent. It even had a backlash resulting in his talent dropping somewhat. It made perfect sense.
    both fail many times... moreso for reverend insanity.
    RI is fresher in mind... so some examples is that he had made plans to get some healing gu, and it died with the beast. He made plans to get some other gu and a random giant chicken ate them all. He made a plan to sell blackmail material against his clan to some merchant guy but then they discovered an inheritance and he had to kill him and this caused huge trouble later when the merchant clan sent investigators to hunt down the perpetrator. He also constantly loses valuable and precious gu worms in tense battles.
    Sure... but my problem is that every single issue you raised about those stories is explicitly the exact opposite of what they are. You literally took the two least hypocritical villains in all of chinese xianxia and called them hypocrites. You claim pedophilia where none exist, you claim they never fail when they do.
    seriously? goblin kingdom does everything you complain about being allegedly bad story. Beyond that it is pure awful.

This story is just an inferior in every way blatant rip off copy of RE:Monster, which itself is a bad story too, just that this story is even worse than the one it plagiarized.

For example, in RE:Monster the MC kills the human mothers/breeding slaves because he wants to eat their flesh for power (because of his cheat). He personally benefits from their death and thus acts in a ruthless and self serving manner.

In this ripoff of a story, the author copied that scene almost entirely, but didn't understand the scene in question and how it doesn't fit with the fact that this MC doesn't steal power from people whose flesh he eats. So it doesn't actually make sense here and comes off as being moronic since the MC here doesn't actually gain anything from it, he just randomly murdered a bunch of human women because "reasons".

And no, I did NOT drop it after this one scene. I continued reading for a bit before dropping it, and it continued being a bad ripoff.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    WMW I was referring to his classmate.
    Reverend Insanity, when I say Felipe failure, I don't mean minor setback. He went back in time, so he always had a backup that sprung out of the author's ass. Never saw him powerless. Reverend Insanity is better than WMV to be fair
    Since everyone was going to die anyway, trying to survive in the clan seemed pointless. It was just pointless gore.
    Goblin Kingdom started very poorly. I already read your review glad I read the story regardless .

5. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean beaky? she was an adult by the time MC met her. Not a classmate either but his senior
    He can't go back at time at will, going back in time severely weakened the gu worm in question and it can't be reused until it heals. And when it heals its too high level for his aperature and must be reused again specifically to weaken it or it causes him to explode.

by c253 it healed once and he was forced to use it again, but because he was lower rank it only went back in time a minute, so he still found himself in the exact same deadly situation he was before using it and had to use his wits to escape. So we are explicitly aware for most chapters that he can't use it, and for those rare few chapters that he can use it in a limited fashion.
    Well he was, quite often.
    this is the first criticism you levied that is correct. Although I disagree about it being a bad thing

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Wujigege likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know if it was Beaky but it happened his first year.
    About Reverend Insanity, going back in time to me is the laziest plot armor, I was hoping it didn't happen when he faced the crazy ancestor's brother but it did. That it happened again recently validated my decision to drop it
    Think of it like The Flash, make any mistakes and go back in time repeatedly.
    To each his own, I am not a fan of gore.
    Thanks for the discussion. I am recruiting writers, think wiki a Fandom or Huffington Post but for Asian web novels

7. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Which would be true if he could actually use it, but he can't.
    Which the MC in reverend insanity is explicitly incapable of doing.
    Again? that was the only time. And we had a heads up in advanced that he has to use it or explode, that was after more than 10 years of chargeup time (time travel gu worm healing from backlash of use), and instead of taking him out of danger it only brought him back to a slightly earlier point in the same fight, in an already seemingly hopeless situation where he is trapped.

So he was trapped, and now explicitly without the time travel (and won't have it again for at least another 10 years) and has to think of a way out of said trap. And then all future stuff too without it.

Honestly, this is the most elegant example of time travel I have ever seen. Since the author actually answers the question "why doesn't he just use time travel to solve everything" with the answer of "he can't, its ridiculously limited"

8. lojacob

lojacob Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Japanese Light Novel worth reading? People told me that they all have 0 plot and are boring..

9. Zethuron

Zethuron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are just like Chinese novels, a lot of generic ones, but also some good ones that are actually worth reading. Same goes for Korean novels.

Dont let other people decide for you what to not read.
    Just read what you like.

You can search this thread for some good novels(and others also), or ask people to recommend you some.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at the synopsis and judge it for yourself, most of them are good but there are plenty of bad ones out there.

If the synopsis looks bad, the novel is generally bad, so try finding something that makes sense and you should be fine.

11. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People pretty much told you correctly.

12. sakura_0625

sakura_0625 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best one would be Utsuro no Hako. It is the greatest light novel I've ever read.

13. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, with all the Nuffians here asking every other week about new stuff to read (looking for threads), I think we should have a stickied thread that is composed of must-reads for specific genres, like "must read isekai novels with female MCs" or something similar.

14. Kiryuu_Hajime

Kiryuu_Hajime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Desolate Era - for people who are tired of harem(i guess). I dont know why some readers hate it but it is one of my favorite novel out there... it has a very wode coverage with a wide selection of unique characters(I'm quite proud to the author because novels with that many character could destroy the plot sometimes which is not the case in this novel)

Also Tales of Demons and Gods - its true that some would realy hate the MC in TDG however for me it is the one that makes it unique and more interesting... the only problem is the very slow update which is quite irritating(hoping for a new translator who is very active)

Btw still looking forward to the novel The Gamer I hope someone would translate it to english :(

15. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    TDG ain't complete tho
    The author dropped it
    And the author Mad snail has a bad rep around
    As almost all his novels are dropped or just plain terrible

16. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. If you read one novel by the author "I Eat Tomatoes" you have read them all, he writes a lot and recycles the novels a lot.

2. Desolate Era is his worst novel. Author decided to make it darker, MC only has revenge as his motivation, in order to have targets for revenge MC's loved ones are all suicidally stupid to keep on putting themselves in situation where revenge is needed

3. MC is a panicky little bitch, which is ironic because he is literally called "calm".

4. MC is a huge hypocrite.

17. Chrish

Chrish Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which CN author doesn't?

18. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even for a CN LN novel IET novels are extra recycled

Stark3 likes this.
  19. AnarkyMachin

AnarkyMachin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CD
    How is Warlock of Magus World not here ???
    ISSTH
    BREAKERS-I enjoyed it quite a lot honestly
    Dungeon Defense- best on story
    perceptively
    A thought through eternity- Soo good man
    Release the witch- best kingdom building by far
    Death March- read for fun only
    And pretty much all of the old top 25 of novel updates rankings

20. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a thread for suggestions, that is, telling people not familiar with a story that they should read it.
    But if someone is not already familiar with the story then they would not recognize the 2 letter abbreviation.

CD is probably Coiling Dragon Ring
    ISSTH is I shall seal the heavens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.