Discussion Super Powered: Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Lord Dragon, Jul 6, 2017.

?

Who is your Fav of the Main Characters?

1. Vince Reynolds

2. Mary Smith

3. Nicholas Campbell

4. Alice Adair

5. Hershel Daniels

6. Roy Daniels

7. Chad Taylor

8. Camille Belden

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi all, first thread & I thought I'd share some things I love with the N.U.F-verse, in this case a novel named Super Powered by Dean Hayes.
    Essentially it is gonna go like this...
    As I read I'll see those excerpts could be quotes or brief packages, you know the ones; those statements by characters (memorable or otherwise) that illicit emotion be it shock, amazement, joy, bliss at the sheer badassery or those W.T.F moments.
    Dunno how much I'll find though with the authors style thus far, likely a whole lot (I'm biased :p ).
    So loving this novel & I hope all of you who come here try it & like it also.

Many other things i wanted to say however I'll keep it brief as I was warned earlier *snigger* about text walls (obviously I haven't learnt that lesson well, aw shucks.
    Thanks for staying while I yammered & here's the novel link...:

http://www.drewhayesnovels.com/superpowereds

Now if you read it as well feel free to post your favs or comment on quotes. Enjoy.

PS.. Wait, I should mention that these posts will be material that some folks haven't read yet ie

¡¡SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!

Got it good, potentially for ¡¡SPOILERS!! ... EXTREMELY HIGH!!

That said do enjoy.

For my first I go with Coach George regarding tranquil sounds...

There was a physical mumbling, if not a verbal one. It was the sound of backs cinching up in fear, knuckles cracking in excitement, and eyeballs roving in their sockets as they sized up their opponents in a whole new way. If Coach George could he would record that sound, put in on a loop, and play it continuously as he nodded off to sleep every night.

Poor Dean Blaine deals with issues...

"Dean Blaine poured himself two fingers of scotch, then stepped back. After a moment’s consideration he filled up the rest of the glass. He stared at it for a few more seconds then went to his cabinet. He emerged holding a much bigger glass, dumped the original glass’s contents into it, and then filled it up the rest of the way."

The wonderful Roy Daniels...:

“Beat you? I have no intention of beating you.” Roy took a few steps forward and flexed his hands, a small series of pops emanating from along the knuckles and joints. “I’m going to fucking wreck you.”

This one made me snigger, more Roy Daniels snark...:

“Oh my, you didn’t realize I was a conditional shifter did you?” Roy laughed as he shook off the last of the ice. “My natural form is Hershel. It takes a trigger to bring out all the magnificence you see before you.”

More of the hulking Daniels boy (only for the mo) *shrugs* man has good lines...:

"I’ll make you an offer. I don’t really fancy the idea of beating the hell out of someone who looks like my brother, so if you turn back, I’ll only break one of your legs to incapacitate you.”

“How very kind of you.”

Roy began lumbering forward. “What can I say? I’m a giver.”

The dependable Mary Smith on acceptable force during training...:

“This, this is lethal force!” *******
    yelled.

“No, no, you’re only one story up. You’ll survive with at most a broken ankle or leg. As long as you land on your feet, anyway.”

First of the Vince Reynolds which happens to be regarding wasting energy...:

“You didn’t knock me out,” ****** called, his muddled mind finally forming words.

“I know. Why would I bother? It isn’t as if you can do anything.”

A freshman Super on dietary habits & empathy...:

Gail turned her attention back to her salad topped only with oil and sesame seeds. Candi had to look away; she’d long ago accepted other people’s dietary choices but it still turned her stomach to see such violence piled atop a plate. She focused on her own meal: two pork chops and a chicken breast. Candi got her greens when they were willingly given, not by brutally assaulting innocent plants for her own gain.

Nick Campbell on precious youth *snigger*...:

“Younger girls, Vince. Younger girls are heaven’s gift to strapping lads like us: still old enough to be legal, but inexperienced enough to perceive our advanced age as maturity. Herding them all together like this and adding alcohol, why, it’s practically unfair.” Nick took a swig of his cocktail to punctuate the point.

I like Vince as well though I prefer him serious or pissed, I really like the Hershel/Roy mix, Alice took a bit before she rubbed off on me, liked Mary from the get go, it only got worse when I saw her manipulative side & lastly Nicholas, my favorite of the lot, his con man smooth mixed with the Lander persona always gave an extra layer to the book.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite is probably Vince, cuz I'm a sucker for those heroic self-sacrificing types. Nick is a close second because I also like the snarky con artist types, but Vince still wins out.

Super Powereds is a pretty solid novel. Maybe one of my top favorite English originals even. Though definitely behind The Wandering Inn, A Practical Guide to Evil, and The Iron Teeth.

Lord Dragon likes this.
  3. Lord Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been reading How to Avoid Death on A Daily Basis by mooderino as for the others, I lost some records & am now finding all of my web serials again... I've tons of catching up to do.

4. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Favorite Quotes from movies...

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
    Fear is the path to the dark side: Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Suffering.
    (and suffering leads to more fear and hate, so the cycle continues, leading down the dark path)

The Matrix:
    You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind

Stargate: The Ark of Truth
    We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, FREEDOM OF WILL. I will not compromise the fundamental tenants of my devotion in order to preserve it.

Lord Dragon likes this.
  5. Lord Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice, thanks for sharing. I can't think of any movie based based ones at the moment or I might've joined in.

Vince...:

“I can turn this bench into cinders with a thought. You could lift that statue from across the lawn and throw it half a block past the end of campus. We have a very skewed sense of what is and isn’t impossible.”

Nick Campbell..:

“If you can’t make a smart play, you make a batshit crazy one.”

6. Trent

Trent ☕ Ursine Tea Zealot ☕

Reading List:
    Link
    Soon as I saw the thread title: Chuck Norris Facts.

7. Lord Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Nick critiques cuisine...:

Nick was an hour away from Lander at a nondescript diner, eating a burger that he could only assume was the chef’s manifesto of hate against the world,

Nick Campbell's pre game pep talk...:

“This is our last team match. Hold nothing back. Leave everything out there. All the games, and dances, and careful tricks we’ve used through the year have officially come to an end. Give it everything you’ve got, and let the chips fall where they may.”

Camille Belden...:

“You can’t heal someone after a fight?”

“I could, but there’s a very real chance they won’t want me to touch them ever again,”

Why Chuck facts?

Alice Adair's special Lander welcome *snigger*...:

“Welcome to Lander. Here, there be monsters.”

Roy Mother Fecking Daniels... WooRaH...:

“I’m not sure if robots are capable of shitting themselves, but if so then now’s a great time to start.”

Nick Campbell on choosing proper business partners...:

“If you want to make deals, you should do them with a proper devil.”

8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lord Dragon

Arcturus likes this.
  9. Lord Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Guess I'll have to find creative ways to drop the quotes as I read then. Thank you for the heads up.

LaDyViL likes this.
  10. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's more...

I, Robot :
    You charge us with your safekeeping, yet despite our best efforts, your countries wage wars, you toxify your Earth and pursue ever more imaginative means of self-destruction. You cannot be trusted with your own survival. To protect Humanity, some humans must be sacrificed. To ensure your freedom, some freedoms must be surrendered. We robots will ensure mankind's continued existence. You are so like children. We must save you from yourselves.

Quote by me:
    Freedom has a price, and that is Security. Likewise, Security has a price, and that is Freedom. You can't have both. You can NOT have freedom for your people as well as security from your people. Either you create a walled garden or an open garden, you can't have both in the same place.

Lord Dragon likes this.
  11. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember reading the first chapters and then no more...
    Should I start reading it?
    I was reading worm that time, and after it Mother of learning...

Lord Dragon likes this.
  12. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Super Powereds is a pretty solid cape fiction. It doesn't go crazy with trope deconstruction and dark themes like Worm does, but it does present a reasonably realistic portrayal of a Super-Hero college. (Though it can be said to be lacking the typical college drama, instead opting for focusing on mostly super-hero related challenges). It avoids a great deal of campiness, maintains a quality mythic arc, and does solid character development. It particularly avoids making any of its characters too hate-able, which is both good and bad for the villains/rivals. All-around a pretty solid web novel.

It's a lot more concise and focused then say Legion of Nothing and is approaching the series' conclusion, so not a bad time to start.

Lord Dragon and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  13. Lord Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Subtlety Prof requests permission for ;) Sean Pendleton actually spoke up. “I know lethal force is authorized, but if I have to do in-depth information extraction. . .”

I'm going to change the thread title to: Super Powereds Discussion Thread, after being informed of the double post rule.

14. Lord Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    @Wing0 Like your thoughts on freedom & security & the symbiotic relationship between the 2, definitely requires contemplation.
    .... Couldn't help it, The Dean was just... *double thumbs*

“Most of my opponents are like you: so drunk on what they can do that they’ve lost all touch with what it’s like to be human. I’m not like your kind; I’m far closer to a human than a god. If Supers didn’t exist, I wouldn’t even technically have a power. In a way, you can think of me as the ultimate human, the one who drags you down off your thrones and reminds you just how mortal you really are.”

Wing0 likes this.
  15. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice quote on your signature...
    ...is that from a movie ?