Recommendations Super villain as Protagonist.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by GDLiZy, Dec 6, 2017.

1. odernatter

odernatter Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi - MC it's technically anti-hero, but he is psychopatic. He even sets himself a rule, like those people do
    "I will not have revange on people who don't hurt me after I was stared anew." Then he trying to trick them into hurting him
    I like things similar to you and I liked it.
    X-ray Is More Than I Thought - MC is a utter scum. Trigger warning, a lot of non-consensual sex.

2. BlaszczeM

BlaszczeM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Supervillain on RRL. It's just starting out, but the MC already did some villainy things.

3. BlaszczeM

BlaszczeM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But Dantalian of DD is evil because 1. he's a demon lord, and 2. he's a sociopath with psychpathic tendencies. And he's doing what he does to save the world

4. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    readerz likes this.
  5. Sintress

Sintress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I would recommend my story the Vespidian since she is a bit of a strange hero, what with being a wasp monster who craves meat, however we haven't really gotten to the point where she goes off the rails yet and I am unsure if you would want to slog your way through her dealing with hero league stuff and failing to be the perfect hero, ie people die or things don't go as planned type of deal. It is more of a hero's descent into villainy.

6. TheOneTrueApex

TheOneTrueApex Illegitimate Young Master|Sadistic Male Lead|Laozi

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. Too bad it seems to be dropped. It was quite a refreshing read though.
    Point taken but I must retort.

Now before I make my point, I'll first set some definitions so I won't seem to be pulling arguments and definitions out of my ass.

According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
    Antihero:
    A protagonist or notable figure who is conspicuously lacking in heroic qualities.
    Villain:
    1. A character in a story or play who opposes the hero
    2. A deliberate scoundrel or criminal
    Protagonist:
    1. a : the principal character in a literary work (such as a drama or story)
    b : a leading actor, character, or participant in a literary work or real event

Now first let's examine the antihero. As defined by Merriam-Webster, he would be a notable person who lacks heroic qualities.

Now, with that said, a person who lacks a heroic quality does not automatically make him a villain in the same sense that a lack of belief in the Juedo-Christian deity does not automatically make one an Satanist.

It is simply that the antihero does not run in the same status quo as the orthodox heroes. An antihero would be someone who walks the grey area of the moral line between hero and villain. Can he perform acts that could be considered heroic? Yes. Can he perform the inverse? Yes. Because he walks the grey area.

But he LACKS heroic qualities, you say?
    If a person lacks the quality of selflessness does that mean he is incapable of it? If he lacks patience, does it mean that he is incapable of patience? If he lacks confidence, does it mean that he is incapable of acting confident?
    No, no, and no.

A lack of something could mean a deficiency of something as much as it is an absence. The difference is that deficiency means that a certain quality or aspect is there though it is not in abundance. Therefore, although an antihero may lack goodwill, compassion, and other characteristics heroes may have, it does not mean that he is incapable of emulating it.

Now that we have established what an antihero is, can a villain then be a protagonist? Yes.

From the definitions provided above, a protagonist is simply lead character in a story. Nowhere is it defined that a protagonist must absolutely be a hero. Logically speaking, shifting the principal role to a villainous character would still make that character a villain protagonist. Nowhere is it said that his archetype should change automatically.

So, there's my point. Anyone is welcome to rebut. Oh, and...

I'm interested in knowing where you got this "official definition" from and whether it is as reputable as my source.

Also, your example is teetering a teeeensy bit too close to a strawman fallacy.

Not always the case. He could simply be someone who pursues revenge or a similar selfish goal. Though he will oftentimes have a line he will not cross. Though your opinion would be on point considering the mainstream examples of antiheros in Media.

Deleted member 89812 and rogutus like this.
  7. YourShadows

YourShadows Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the Death Mage who doesn't want a fourth time is quite good, MC is sort of evil but not at the same time, i dont know how to link but its got 112 chapters atm

8. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank God someone already said it. Misinterpretation of terms like that is my primary pet-peeve.

9. TheOneTrueApex

TheOneTrueApex Illegitimate Young Master|Sadistic Male Lead|Laozi

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I felt the need to clarify what an antihero is since I'm also a fan of antiheroes.

Honestly, I'd have simply agreed to disagree but then I saw the guy claiming an "official" definition along with an erroneous example.

rogutus and HappyHavak like this.