Supernatural + History + Fantasy = Difficult [Answer = Remove Fantasy]

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Zone Q11, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    So apparently I am crazy.

Ever since I planned to abstain from NUF Mafia, I decided to make a prompt for an RP. RPs in NUF are dead, so I decided to never post this RP up, since my first RP died horribly.

Backstory: There are many RPs with parallel worlds and stuff, and I always find the scope of "a world" too big. I never liked it that much. Too many variables to think about. So I wanted to make an RP with only one country. So I chose one that is near my own country, and since I want it to be as fantasy as possible, I decided to research its population per state of 1900; the time before all the World Wars happened.

I realized that I couldn't get all population of Country X from 1900 (since not all states did their proper job or didn't exist back then), so I pursued it as close to 1900 as possible. But how am I supposed to stitch this amalgamation of different states together? My brain's first response was: WITH SUPERNATURAL THINGS! What I did was dividing the original country into 4 "sub-countries", and have 4 NPCs be a leader of 4 states and let those 4 conquer the other states.

If you don't follow me from the previous paragraph, there is basically Country X with N states. The time periods of those states do not match, so I divided Country X into Country X1, X2, X3 and X4 and divided the states as equal (size-wise) as possible. Then I made NPCs who will rule over those 4 sub-countries.

I consider this supernatural, since those 4 NPCs will have Supernatural Abilities. And one of the states is a copy of 1990, so they will already have (primitive) computers by then.

Anyhow, I then remembered that the original plan was to have an RP within 1 country... "but I also love fantasy". And here comes the problem: "How the hell do you mix Fantasy with Science?" I mean, this mess is not done over the years; it's in instant "monsters will be thrown into this literally chaotic (i.e. not in order) world". It's not something like "we have been here for 500 years", so the reaction is probably something like... Maou Yuusha maybe? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

[Vampire, Slime, Zombie, Skeleton, Ogre, Orc (Pig), Elf, Dwarf, Harpy, ...] x [Airplane (1903), AK-47 (1947), Ford Model T (1908), Cold War Tanks (1945-1980), Coffee (1909), Tommy Gun AKA SMG AKA Thompson Submachine Gun (1920), Helicopter (1939), ...]

This is a mess!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    imK, Nahrenne, Ddraig and 4 others like this.
  2. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The devil's cage seems to do it pretty well. It's a world hopping novel where they come back though.

SquadCammander354 and Zone Q11 like this.
  3. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, I am still a little confused. Are these states all independent of each other?

In case they aren't, then you have a very aggressive leader, the creation of the airplane, the rising tension just before the world wars, so countries are going to take advantage of this, as well as a tumultuous time period where people are still suffering under inequality.

The people at the top taking advantage of the minority. Perhaps feature an uprising thanks to the chaos?

Unless you want something like a modern CN zombie apocalypse novel but with monsters and during the 1900s?

If this is the case, I would take a look and adjust any modern invention with one of an older variety.

I think this comes down to if you want the monsters to have more power than the current people. If humans are stronger, then humanoid monsters could sneak in and take over positions creating a different world war. People would be doing what the current world would seem inhumane quite willingly, in the pursuit of power and science. There are rising tensions between countries and this would result in a scramble for knowledge.

If not, then I guess mimic those CN a little. But this seems interesting.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  4. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is: While all of this could be a material for a novel, what I plan to make is 15 years after this event.

The states are dependent on each other, but some states... they basically come from the future for other states.

Also, there is no other country. There will be "New Country X" and nothing else. Whether I have to use fog like the one from the Pokemon movie with Darkrai, or replacing all land borders with water: I will not allow anyone within New Country X to leave or be influenced by other countries. (But the citizens know nothing about this though, so that will be a mass confusion... :p)

I have ensured that Hitler isn't present (though his influence is present), airplanes will exist in one of the <20 states, the tension of war will only be felt in 3 countries, and inequality... well that only happens if you can re-establish a "society" in the first place. Remember: the states in Country X did have a society in 1900, but that society is different than another society in 1930 or 1950.
    No. I want to say "never", but I will only do this as a last resort.

The inventions will stay as they were as well; I did a little bit of research, so it should not be too horrible even if I miss 48 of the 100 inventions made in the 20th century.
    Ah shite. I forgot about the population of the monsters.

I want that "inhumanity" but I also want...
    --gah. So basically I want "a state where humanoids are experimented on like slaves", "a state where humanoids and humans coexist", "a neutral state", "a state overrun by humanoids", and the like.

But I need to make a difference between "monster (creature, heteromorph)" and "humanoid (human-like, mutants)"...

Ugh. Sounds like high effort for a low productive activity.

AMissingLinguist and Evil_Ginger like this.
  5. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    I just realized. There isnt really a demand for cat girls in the 1900s! Who is going to scratch their ears!?

Fulminata and AMissingLinguist like this.
  6. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    ...I dunno. This thought was originally an RP, so perhaps you guys, who are supposed to appear at the 15th year of this world?

--back to the population of monsters: To be honest, I think that having their amount be less than the amount of humans is better, because 20th century humans already will destroy nature by its rise of industrialization. ...or I should do the reverse and make more monsters.

However the problem is: New Country X's population is 52 million humans. It has ~350,000 km^2 land, which equals ~590 x ~590 km. Which means that -without using the third dimension called "depth"- all humans only have 1 by 1 cm to work with.

...should I deploy a mass genocide after all?

7. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    How much magic you want and how much science you want? :blobneutral:

AMissingLinguist and Zone Q11 like this.
  8. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Mana quake. A rough percentage of the world is toast.

AMissingLinguist and Zone Q11 like this.
  9. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Science: 20th Century. Emphasis: TWENTIETH. Emphasis: 1942 (Nuclear Power Plant)
    Magic: "Uh... Let's keep it at bottom-line useless unless used properly."

Magic is a sensitive topic to touch. ...let's do this then:
    Maximum Capacity of Magic within Humans:
    >> Children: No Magic
    >> Teens: No Magic
    >> Adults: No Magic
    >> Elderly: No Magic

Maximum Capacity of Magic within Magically Talented Humanoids:
    >> Children: No Magic
    >> Teens: Weak Magic ("They are weak. No exceptions."; No Magic Outbursts)
    >> Adults: Strong Magic (If Trained 6 Hours Daily for 7 Years "in total")
    >> Elderly: Disaster Magic (If Trained at least 6 Hours Daily, but this time for 30+ Years)

Compare magic with Muscles, except mana is "energy" (e.g. light, warmth, mass).
    Magic: You know it? You can use it. Just use mana. You did not train daily? Then use a LOT of mana. You want to use Disaster Magic? Then use EVEN MORE mana. Enough to sacrifice dozens of your own kin. (Not humans; those are worthless in this area.)
    No... Hm... Mnn... Maybe.
    Also: Still not working with world-scale.

10. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do something similar to elves vs dwarves I guess. If you want to mix science and magic heavily, it's a bit complicated.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  11. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmn... Thinking of Cop Craft, I might have to limit the amount of humanoids types to 2 or 3. In the anime (I did not read the novel) they showed "basically elves" and "literally vampires".

But then there was Kekkai Sensen who managed to make a story out of... however many beings there may be.

And then there was a 20th Century x Supernatural fiction that most people know as the X-Men Series --but this one did not include (a lot of) magic.

...I think I will have to go with the Cop Craft route. X-Men Series is not enough, and Kekkai Sensen's "mood and vibes" are way too different than the dark world that I wish to have.

--‐----------------------------------------​

So... well, there is the choice. What about the details?

I am sick of elves and literally any "handsome" humanoids. Way too many has been done. Dwarves are their slightly less popular counterpart, so I might take them in. I wonder whether Intelligent Slimes is a good choice? Angels and demons... might be fun to do since it has to do with religion and all. Beastmen... racism. Sounds easy, but do I want this? Amicable Skeletons... no way; impossible to breed. Zombies might be way more doable, but those are really tricky to write about with beliefs of the rising dead and all; Death Mage is already on that stuff. Dryads? Sounds dangerous in a 600 by 600 km country. I like it. Doppelgangers? Nah. We are not that desperate for mass paranoia. Ghosts? Still not breedable. Vampires. ...huh. This one works well.

To summarize, I chose: Dwarves, Slimes, Angels and Demons (these two count as one), Beastmen, Dryads, and Vampires as my candidates.

I only need two or three, so... what do you think of it?

12. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    ...right. DATE. Not a good choice.
    ...right. Hippie Demon and Death Metal Angel. Unimaginable. --rather, I do not want to re-imagine it.
    Four candidates left. This might actually be doable.

13. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Dwarves are not well known to use magic, so I don't have to give them magic either.
    Dryads are plant spirits like Poison Ivy, which do not use magic but rather supernatural powers.
    Vampires... Owari no Seraph says it all, but my starting point is 100 years earlier, and I don't plan to have any curses or angels involved. So this will be a tough day-night-based battle for the humans.

Which leaves me with Beastmen. ...their physical traits alone already makes them a scapegoat (example: RWBY), but adding magic would give them too much advantage.

...I might actually not need magic at all.

Dwarves are literal dwarves with faster growth rate, dryads are supernatural creatures, vampires are superhumans who need blood to sustain themselves, and beastmen are mutated crossbreeds between humans and animals.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  14. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you think already about how they interact with sciences and politics?

Fulminata and Zone Q11 like this.
  15. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Regarding science:
    Most of New Country X's states are not too developed in science; they are at the border between "primitive alchemy" and "actual science" (i.e. 1900s). There are some that are copied from 1950s, which would give them lots of "old science". (I.e. war weaponry, good cars, "old" luxury items, etc.)
    There is a clear state border and a clear technology barrier between the old and new states. I plan to let the Super NPCs handle the task of either segregating all states within their sub-country, or upgrading the old states of their sub-country.

Regarding politics:
    I gave my Super NPCs 100 overpowered soldiers each. The answer to chaos is simple: Have a coup d'etat, and rule the states by force at first. The soldiers will not last forever, so whether the Super NPCs decide to act as a dictator or as a mediator after their soldiers are gone is up to the Super NPCs themselves.
    One thing is certain: There will have to be at least one dictator in New Country X. It is a requirement, and I cannot change this fact. Because if that person is not a dictator, then he will have to genocide a whole state.

16. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    That seem a huge mess.

Evil_Ginger and Zone Q11 like this.
  17. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any faster ideas to regain order from chaos then? :blobexpressionless:
    In times of chaos, all morality is thrown out of the window. Life priorities gets kicked back to its primitive state: "Kill or be killed", "survival of the fittest", "obey or die".

I am not saying that this is the best route, but when multiple states from multiple timelines was suddenly put together in the same country where none of the citizens can escape... then a good leader's first thoughts will always be: "Read the situation, calm yourself, calm your personnel and citizen, and decide your next move based on the situation."

Also... I don't think magic is needed after all. Magic x Science has always been too exploitable in any RPGs, and difficult to explain for me.
    I can manage Supernatural from Vampires and Dryads though.

I understand that the whole New Country X situation is hard to manage, and that adding Supernatural Creatures might be overkill, but... what do you think of my 4 candidates?

18. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what chaos you are talking about.

My point is each race have their own political view. While dwarves are pretty similar to humans, dryads and vampires have quite different values. Dryads are most likely want democracy and vampires are more toward oligarchy(with themselves on the top). Everyone getting a coup d'etat seem a mess. Especially considering that a coup d'etat means more political instability. It's actually after the new regime of coup d'etat collapse that the country gains more political stability than before the coup d'etat. Mostly because all the "bad" people got purged during the coup d'etat.

19. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    The border between actual science and alchemy is probably closer to the end of the 1700’s really. Also which country are you using? That could help us I think...

Zone Q11 likes this.
  20. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    The chaos of multiple states from multiple timelines getting abducted into a single no-border country.
    Oh, right. I still have to copy a few villages or groups of the new races.
    The thing is: I do not plan to copy whole towns or cities when it comes to the new races. I plan to spread their existence across the New Country X in small groups or villages. Kinda like the ninja village from Wortenia Senki, but then reversed. This means that the other humanoid races do not have any form of government at all. Perhaps you could say that it was originally managed by "nobility" or the "royalty", but those did not get copied/transferred to New Country X.

Still, when it comes to the coup d'etat... I won't deny that innocent people will die; it is a coup after all. As for the political instability... well, when the states are already in disarray from the difference in time period (i.e. some states came from the "peaceful" 1900 while others came from 1939), do you really not expect that the states from the more recent period would conquer the older period? Tanks from the Cold War versus Catapults and Infantry with Guns. Who would win? The tank of course.
    (EDIT: I just checked, and apparently I forgot the existence of artillery. ...still, tanks are more mobile than artillery.)
    Oh, right. ...still: 1900 did not have a fully functional primitive tank.
    As for the country... it is that country. The (in)famous one.

Evil_Ginger likes this.