Discussion Systems

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by eremetic, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eremetic

eremetic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm mostly content to just quietly find stuff to read rather than talk, but there's been a reoccurring trope as of late that intrigues me - but I don't see a lot talked about ANYWHERE re: its origin and the like.

I'm of course talking about "systems", which are particularly popular in CN I've found. The closest trope I can relate them to is that of A.I. or that of a "Universal System", but that doesn't really explain enough for me as the Systems tend to have their own characters and reasons for wanting to accomplish things, i.e. preventing harems, and will reward their chosen protagonist for it. Or even be rewarded themselves?

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts about the origin of this, or about novels that actually explain a system's... Well, system? Why do they do the things they do? Why do they need re/transmigrators? Why did they develop their own character? And so on and so forth.

My best guess is that it's vaguely Buddhist where they're typically guardians of a karma/reincarnation process? And generally oversee worlds? That said it feels like a very new, very modern trope that's only really come about in the last few years.

I also feel like "Midnight Gospel" the show was inspired by this trope but hey.

Muspon likes this.
  2. Dragon Devourer

Dragon Devourer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was there actually a Harem-preventing system? That seems like it would be fun to read about.

I know sometimes the system itself is worked into the plot, but the majority of the time it's just kind of "this is one of the rules of this universe" or "this is the MCs special ability" type setup where it's not discussed or thought about beyond it being what it is.

3. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there is a Harem-stealing system. I don't recall any Harem-prevention systems.

Another common 'system origin' is some powerful, ancient race made the system... but they're all dead now, so the system just does whatever it was made to do.

Muspon and eremetic like this.
  4. eremetic

eremetic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For your first question- yes! It's a BL, but if you're ok with that the name is "There Will Always Be Protagonists With Delusions of Starting a Harem"

But phew. I noticed a lot of novels simply expect you to know and accept that trope for what it is, it's basically a Deus ex machina. Which is fine, I guess, but I'm the type who also likes religions in novels to have better world building than Christianity or Taoism-lite lol

Ohhhh I haven't read a novel yet with that latter origin, but that's pretty neat! I was more meaning, who came up with this first irl though lol. As I'm sure many of us have noticed, certain tropes and settings are popular in the light novel world after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2020
  5. Keiko Ayano

Keiko Ayano Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I thought it was the “Game” System instead of the “This is Life” System.

6. SassyCanoeWizard

SassyCanoeWizard Allure of the unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    The origin of “systems” are games. Like where you need to accomplish mission and get a reward. It’s a rather modern trope as games that resemble real world became common only during last two decades. My best guess is that someone imagined popular novel(movie) and tried to gamify it. Most likely it wasn’t immediate process but it came to what you can find now rather gradually. System is quite a solid tool that gives author many different opportunities when it comes to creating plot so it isn’t very surprising that it’s popular nowadays.

Have you seen an explanation why games do have missions and rewards? Here is the same thing. Some author might give a reason, create a backstory like maybe system is a former human or AI that serves some kind of mighty Master. But if they want to concentrate on the world itself, they can just keep silent

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Araenn and eremetic like this.
  7. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Although it is not CN, Ugly Bastard System talks a little bit on why they need actual people. At first, you are all like "Wow, this system messed up! The MC would never do the scumbag things the system was designed to do!" and you're right. I recommend just reading the novel, but some people like to be spoiled.

It turns out, the system purposefully chose someone with a large amount of good karma to 'leech' off of.

The Ugly Bastard System (UBS) was made to steal and corrupt other people's women. Following its in-born nature results in accumulating negative karma for the system (which is bad), but going against what it was created to do greatly reduces the system's 'lifespan'. This is pretty much never worth it (since it usually only gains a small amount of bad karma from each user).

However, the UBS' previous user NTR'd a world's hero. Even though the system constantly tried to stop him, the user succeeded. Obviously, once the hero found out (and had the fact he was NTR'd rubbed in his face) sh*t hit the fan. The fallout destroyed the world and all of its inhabitants. Which caused the UB system to be the fall guy and be hit with so much negative karma it had to take extremely desperate measures.

eremetic likes this.
  8. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I'm getting kind of tired of systems. They seem to be completely taking over the whole cn space. I think they are popular with authors because they removed a lot of the need for thought on the authors part. Want to get the MC to do something? You don't need to think of complex plots to lead them in that direction. Just have the system order it. Honestly when the author does this too much it starts to make the characters start to seem like puppets, which I don't like. The same with drowning the character in destiny juice. It seems like too many characters now are just stupid system grinding destiny puppets with an undue sense of pride.

Anyways, systems are basically cosmic vending machines of unknown origin, or purpose. You stick in some kind of input, and get some goodies in return. Inputs and outputs vary, but the basic premise remains the same. As for the reasons behind it all they rarely go into detail for it. If you have to explain the system it kind of ruins the main benefit of systems which is not having to explain anything.

There was one author I read who came up with some interesting reasons for the existence of systems, rebirths to the past or across worlds, etc. That’s this guy. The MCs in his stories mostly act (especially near the end) as the puppet masters behind the scenes manipulating the “protagonists” for their own ends in a series of short stories. Anyways, I like this authors work, but results may vary.

eremetic likes this.
  9. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, what I really dislike is when there is a penalty to a quest. The authors that use penalties (and aren't in a death game format) always rely on over-the-top punishments to force the MC to work. I wish the MC could decide, "Hey, this quest requires me to constantly risk my life for a loaf of bread. Why don't I just pay the fine and find something else." Instead, we get things like below.

Scenario: Random Quest has appeared~
    Description: You overheard a passerby stating there might be a princess locked away in a tower somewhere and protected by a fire-breathing dragon. Kill the dragon and save the princess.
    Time Remaining: 10 days
    Reward: 10 copper coins, ??? (some useless Key Item that you just happen to need for the next quest)
    Failure: INSTANT DEATH

eremetic and Fishy_MC_FishMan like this.
  10. eremetic

eremetic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies and novel tips! Keen to read the novels that give the Systems some thought. I definitely noticed that there was a gamified aspect to the trope, but I guess I was hoping there was a reason or a standard to point to for all these newly popular offshoots. Kind of like how the villainess novel genre can typically point to bakarina for its popularity?

Guess it's too much to hope for that some amateur authors will explain the reason there's game mechanics in otherwise non-game based settings though, other than it's popular and easy to drive plot.

11. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    In the story I linked above the systems are one of the strategies certain powerful being employee in order to collect a special kind of energy from the universe itself. They need this energy for their cultivation, and the universe rewards this energy to individuals who meet it's own needs for advancement. Basically the reason why game like systems are used in non-game settings is because they are an effective way to get people to do things. I mean just look at how much time people spend playing games. It's obvious that the reward and punishment systems in games are very compelling to people.

eremetic likes this.
  12. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, no Tolkien/Lord of the Rings style origin (that we know of).

13. nananna

nananna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There Will Always Be Protagonists With Delusions of Starting a Harem

14. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Big Bro, Save us and
    Summon Survival
    the system were made by aliens from higher plane. in most quick transmigration however, the system is from space time bureau, and it works together with the host, usually worker or random people. there's also the system on Green Tea Villainess FAIL where Tian Dao wants to do matchmaking so he created the systems to helps Their OTPs.

eremetic likes this.
  15. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "System" type stories were originally from Korea or maybe JP. It's based mostly on games. This because all "systems" turn the MC into a player in a game of sort. Do quests, get exp, level up, find loot, store loot, improve stats.

It started out with "game like interface" for the MC for playing their favorite MMORPG with a lot more flexibility and stuff. It works for MC playing VR or MC get thrown into a game.

Eventually, some guy thinks "wait a minute, why do I have to bring the MC to the game? Why not put the game directly into MC life?" Then you get real-life "systems" doing the exact some thing but in real life.

Then you finally got "systems" that starting to be semi-intelligent even full on sentient. Because you sort of need a spin to this thing or it would be too boring.

That's how you get the AI systems. If you ask why "systems" do the things they do then you have to ask why do RPG got stats, quests, loot, levels, inventories and NPC.

eremetic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.