Systems

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ZXu2002, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a random thought, why are there so many systems in asian novels? Transported to another world? Systems! Inherited a magic restaurant thing? System! Stuck in a horror movie? System! It's basically a deus ex machina in most stories and really feels like the author couldnt be bothered thinking of a good power system to make the mc stand out from the rest

otaku31 likes this.
  2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Because system is the ultimate cheat. "Fuck hardwork and natural talent. Watch me grind my way to awesomeness!" Fyi this is actually a synopsis of a CN WN. An ability to actually quantify and see your effort plus somewhat not having your EXP deteriorate with time is the nicest thing about system.

3. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    But then what about the suspension of disbelief? Like if you go to a fantasy world and there is a sci fi numerical board in front of you quantifying biological functions into numbers and the occasional fourth wall breaking joke?

4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    because games
    games are basically a system, you do action to get reward, you use reward to get better action, so you do better action so that you can get better reward, rinse and repeat
    So for any novel that you have this cycle using a system is perfect cause it explain the mechanics in a easy to understand (and you can pull out a rabbit whenever you want cause system)

0000000 likes this.
  5. iBakax3

iBakax3 [Baka Ranger]

Reading List:
    Link
    For one, Systems are much easier to understand.
    System: Lv1>Lv10 or Grade F to Grade S
    Random Wuxia: Spiritual Soul>Golden Body

Then, there is EXP.
    99.9% vs "I'm close to breaking through", in this case the quantification allows easier visualisation.

Finally, System allows easier access to skill.
    System: Click Y/N to learn this skill
    Wuxia: Punch the stone 1,000,000 time to learn this skill

6. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    When a web novel writer/ author writes a work, it is normally on wish fulfilment. So literally "fuck background, fuck storyline, read this wank work and pay me with 月票 (monthly votes) so that I get money."

The jokes are there for the readers to snort a breath out of our nostril and speed read the rest.

7. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a theory that it's also cultural. Like, I'm Hispanic, we don't like systems in general. The only real structured thing in our lives is our family, community, and religious bonds. Hmm...maybe sports too. ^.^ We kind of embrace life. When I picture Asian society I see lots of order and beauty, but it is different...I'm still working it out. ^.^

I also can't imagine how people keep watching soap opera's that are fifty years old. O.O That is cray cray. ^.^

Lonelycity likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz we like play game~
    also we like to play as administrator, cuz government usually bleeeh~
    System Rule!

9. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A well made system novel is awesome... not these new-ish witty/sassy systems with personality... A system needs to have a functioning logic and be as impersonal as possible. (parodies can obviously do it differently)

A system would be the ultimate motivation for pretty much everything... can you imagine... going to the gym and actually see your stats increase in (almost) realtime? Not just vague feelings over weeks?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.