Question SYSTRANSOFT SYSTRAN v6 better than google translation

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deadmantellnotales, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    is the SYSTRANSOFT SYSTRAN v6 is better than google traslation. found the softwere in torrent.
    some of the series i been following are either dropped or didnt even translated.so whats tour opinion???

Geek reader likes this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My opinion is that there are various options for machine translation and they all ultimately suck. You have two real choices if you actually give a damn: you can use Translation Aggregator to compare multiple machine translation results and piece the novel together like a puzzle, or you can use a glossary of known terminology to dramatically improve the results of any given machine translator.

Or both together, I suppose.

If either choice sounds like too much work to you, give up on getting readable results from MTL.

3. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought it's only have a web version though....

4. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    INB4 keylogged and hacked

Cream likes this.
  5. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    TBH, for me I think the most important thing of MTL is not how correct or accurate it is but how comfortable you're reading the translation. so find the translator you're comfortable with and go with it.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried using Systran once and it was honestly the worst translation software I ever touched (at least for Japanese Novels), Google and Bing were waaaaaaay better, and those 2 are pretty bad.

checkm8 likes this.
  7. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    and how about yahoo japan ?

8. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    How would one actually go about doing this?

9. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    A glossary of known terminology - sometimes also called a dictionary - is just a list of terms with manual translations. When the machine translator finds those terms, it uses the translation you've provided instead of trying to work it out on its own. This is especially useful to avoid the confusion that names cause, along with other common novel terminology. I'm sure you can imagine how much it improves the accuracy. Of course, for serious improvement you want to have as comprehensive a glossary as possible. LNMTL uses glossaries, and the top novels there have hundreds to thousands of pre-defined terms.

You'll need third party translation software to use a glossary - Translation Aggregator is an example of software that allows their use. Your biggest problem will be filling that glossary. I suppose the most straightforward way to do it would be to comb through your MTL results for obvious mistakes and use the glossary to fix them. Do that often enough, and you'll make some progress. There may also be common term glossaries floating around here, if you want to search. E.g. for common fantasy or xuanhuan terms. One of those could give you a kickstart.

Since I mentioned LNMTL, I should say that's also an option: You can crowdsource glossaries. The easiest way to do that would be to try and have a novel that interests you added to LNMTL, and rely on its existing foundation for crowdsourcing. Otherwise, you can try and start something yourself.

10. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks a lot mate that really helps!

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Never tried this one! >.<

12. superkumaa

superkumaa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    I use the add-on version on yandex mobile, it's the best mtl imo
    [​IMG]

13. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try input 一段目光便是一束王者香,那般雍容璀璨、风华绝代的眼神。

Its from the novel 扶摇皇后.
    Currently all the machines translation don't even give me an idea of what it meant. You could try.?

And post what ever you get from the MTL to translation Connors, we will know how accurate the translation is.
    [​IMG]

When one MTL don't work, the others will fail miserably. Translation memory really helped alot when I was starting to translate. It have you standardized you translation and make your translations more professional. But that's it. You can't really translate novels with machine translator. You could try reading a novelupdates chapter and a raw chapter you will know that some part is so off even if the novels are edited and the sentence feel smooth.
    Some meaning are just so off that I can laugh for weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  14. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Please check the date before posting in a thread; especially if you plan to quote me.

You'd be surprised how wildly different the results of machine translation software can be. It's absolutely possible for one to be more accurate than another, and they won't all fail when one does. Expecting a "correct" translation from any given machine translation software would be foolish, but you can at least manage "readable" by combining the results of multiple, or correcting those results by hand, with a dictionary. A glossary, ofc, infinitely smooths this process.

It also helps that many of the novels picked up around here are written... simplistically. Even a machine can translate a very basic sentence, and not every author's writing is goddamn poetry. In fact, almost none of it is. These authors write a chapter or more per day for money. You can't expect a masterpiece from that process. It's already pretty amazing if they manage to write something that wouldn't embarrass their school teachers.

But at the end of the day, you do have to accept that the results of your machine translation are going to be haphazard at best. Anyone willing to machine translate is fine with that, however, and they most likely have no choice. There is a severe shortage of translators and an extreme overabundance of novels that require them. Machine translation is, often, the only option people have.

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.