T-top and daisy chain ram configuration.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, Nov 7, 2019.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First if this is about ram overclocking, if you don't overclock ram. ignore it.
    First there are 2 kinds of ram slots in motherboards, 1dpc and 2dpc
    1dps mainly for ITX and low class matx, better overclocking best signal strength.
    for 2dps there are 2 mainstream layouts. T top and daisy chained.
    memories are the secret of all motherboard companies, they even hide it from all their own engineers that only few knows the design for every layers of PCB.

why ram layout important because ROG M11H just got really popular right now. Due to a mistake from some popular tech savvy monster from tuaba. mistake the configurations and get a really bad clock speed at 4000+Mhz.

what is T top
    Ttop.jpg
    basically it's like a T junction, which one channel splits into two. when it's not fully connected basically the signal strength will be weeker, so it will be harder to overclock to get a high frequency. even if you buy a 4800mhz dimm, it would still take a miracle if you don't fill all four slots.
    It will look like this when only 1 channels are connected.
    Ttopincomplet.jpg
    so basically you get a broken incomplete ram.

what is Daisy Chained
    daisychained.jpg It's just as the name suggest, one dimm changed to another dimm.
    It have strong signal for one dimm and two dimm place on it.
    daisychainedbroken.jpg
    unlike T-top, you still get the full signal when there is only one ram stick placed on each channels.

So why do world record holder all love ITX?
    (just incase you don't know, the world record boards are ROG c81 and msi mpg z390i gaming edge AC)
    ITX board use one dimm per channels. It gets the best signals for the ram to fully perform it self.
    basically one dedicated channels for your ram, to fully extent it self to overclocking at 100%.
    (technically there is no such thing as 100% signal strength but ignore that.)
    1dps.jpg

Conclusion,
    please buy a few more stick of ram if you want to overclock on motherboards like M11H. Honestly, that board is the top of the line for a z390 motherboards.
    if your not sure which board to buy, and whether it's a T-top or an daisy-chained.
    Like me, I use a MSI boards. All MSI boards are daisy-chained from the very beginning and they have full of experience in building a daisy-chained boards.
    Please don't bully the poor M11H, she's poor enough with that ridicules price tags.
    So Stop Mocking the M11H-chan
    Now for those who is getting the new legend of micron E die. please make sure you got your configurations right.

Original posted on novel updead forums. Author: xiazixin, Illustrator: xiazixin
    If you have any more questions you don't understand, or any thing to add on, please leave a comments below this threads.
    If this articles help you or you like this, please leave a like.
    if you want to see more post like this and not miss another post, please follow me~!

reference links~~~ https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/overclocking-ram-sticks.93284/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why t top perfers a2 and B2 is because bios will detect those two slots first.
    One mistake is that t top runs faster with 8x4 compared to 16x2. You don't get full signal with 2 stick of ram running t top. From my personal experience, and also from asus engineers words.
    Don't be surprised if you buy an trident z royal 4200mhz and you can't xmp at 2 stick but able to at 4 stick for a t top boards.

Edits: there are some little "serious" mistakes in the video, I'll correct it later.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  4. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently on phone with my spare time. I'll probably update this post when I draw some pictures on my pc.

So there is A2 and B2, thats on the illustrations on my op. The fact is that B2 is actually better with stronger signals as compared to A2. Even though B2 is further compared to A2.

So basically length don't affects your signals strength by that much.

The second mistake the video make is that bandwidth isn't a problem for the memories for morden t top boards at four dimms or 4 dimms on any morden boards. It's the IMC voltage insufficient. Many people actually forgots IMC. If it don't works add soc voltage.
    There are many factors that affects your memories(ram) overclocking.

Your cpu voltage, your cpu temperature, Your soc voltage, IMC voltage and your ram voltage. That's why all those world record holders adds liquid nitro to cpu even when they are oc rams.
    That's why overclocker usually needs their cpus at sub 90+ temperature to even let their windows boots. As their ram will be unstable at higher temperature
    (ignore ryzen since you should never go over 3800mhz for a ryzen)

You could however get a memories bandwidth limitations if your playing 16Gib for all eight slots on a x299 but that limitions should still carry you all the way to 4200mhz+
    (still no reasons for 3800mhz+ on a x399)

As for my previous post for https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/overclocking-ram-sticks.93284/
    I actually said in the Q&As that you daisy chained is better for 2 dimms A2 and B2. While T-top only gets full signals when putting all four slots.

There are multiple problems for going high clockrates. Older boards like z170 are really difficult to go to 4000mhz+ due to bios and other optimization not there yet. So it's common for triden-z royal with a factory clock of 4200 unable to xmp on older boards. But 4 if 4 stick of tiden-z royal unable to xmp on a ROG MAXIMUS XI Hero (m11h) flag ship boards that would be a laughing matters.

That board can go all the way to 4600mhz+ if you insert all four sticks.
    Its kinda hard to explain to you why you don't gets full signals when you don't put all four dimms at all slots.
    (this shouldn't be an issue if not for ryzen benefit form high clocks which make this difficult.)

Basically in daisy chained configs. If you don't puts all 2/4 slots you still gets some thing similar to a 1dimm per channels.

How ever in T top the ram channels are broken in to two. So if you puts 2/4 slots you gets a halve broken ram channels. You only gets a perfect full channels when you insert all 4/4 slots just like my illustration in my op.

What is correct is that there different companies mother boards have different same circuit layouts. As I said in the original post, ram is the secret of all motherboard companies. They don't even review it to their own engineers.
    So different brands and different models of motherboard all behave in memory overclockings.
    Seasonal memory overclocker have their own preferences in the brands of motherboards.
    So there's reason why people buying gigabyte, msi, asus or asrock boards even for extra price in memory overclocking.
    Personally I buys msi boards when overclocking rams when ever possible. If not other 3 companies.
    But if your not overclocking, anything works.

Edit: sorry that I didn't state that you need to use all 4 channels for t top.

Lastly always remember IMC Voltage, dam IMC voltage.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  5. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know why you post that video full of mistakes, but the github is mostly correct. Basically they explains the mclk and fclk better than I do. But lament terms push fclk to as high as possible usually 1800 ~ 1933(golden chips) and gets it 3800.

Edits:
    Wow just read finished all that, sirously I though I thought I was hard core but I didn't bother checking my tertiaries (tRDRD and tWRWR) , cause they are close to impossible to reduce. Pretty sure other than the defaults value all are like extreme.
    Even though I said that in my memory oc guides. (they probably use Samsung B-Die)

I thought tRCD is combined in intel?
    And amd is spilt tRCDRD and tRCDWR? Maybe differs in mobo
    well that's why I aways stick to one motherboard manufacturer when ever possible.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  6. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    why is this so random? let me check his other post, might be a bot.

7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
  8. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    very likely a bot, trying to get 5 post to enable him to include a link in his post. i've already reported him since the first post he made on the TOTP thread, but no forum mods are online rn :sushi_sleeping:. they'll take care of it once they do.

xiazixin likes this.
  9. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the report, his account is banned now

xiazixin likes this.