Discussion Taboo things to say on translator.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by yuan-niisan, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    According to a comment notsane made, Yi Yun donation is just imaginary.

2. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno. I dont think that translators are above. I respect translators for their work, but if translator says - go fuck yourself, it can be pretty much offending. Like someone gives you food and spits in it. Just dont be a blind fanboy. Everyone deservers respect unless they prove otherwise.
    Why other translators can be civil and dont spell shit on the readers be it leechers or donators, and some cant?

It is the internet. If you want everyone to bless you - go and create your closed fan club and ban everyone who dont like something about you. Otherwise you have to be ready for insults in comments.

gill, moto, thymee and 3 others like this.
  3. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    welp. If thats the case.. Non donators shouldnt have the right of speach, according to the rules ...

4. Vrethalya

Vrethalya Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    lel, translator seem to be a chill guy, though
    wellp, there's always that one asshole or two amongst the spectator

to be fair, if you had some disagreement (especially if you're donating to the said tl-er) with how the tl-er work, ranting and angrily bitching about it wont really work y'know, since they could just left their work anywhere anytime they're feed up with those rant and bitching. yeah, it might be picked up by others, but the said tl-ers still win since you'll got delayed on reading the new chapter, but the said tl-er cld just read it themself without giving a damn about you gys. if he want to do it again, he could just come out with new name, and start it all over again.

best way to voice your disagreement is by calmly state your opinion with civilized manner and see people's opinion about it. if many people are disagreeing with your's, start reflecting. if you're still on with your opinion, mail the tl-er, use your sweet talking ability. kiss ass as much as you can, do anything you can to persuade (or manipulate) them to agree with your opinion and at least do something about it.

really, being angry wont really help, especially if you're against someone with the upper hand, had that much supporters and can go away with being a dick about it without being harmed

5. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps this guy is not really a donor and demanding such thing and says such things. Obviously translators would get pissed off. As far as i remember pmg translator has a full time job and other responsibilities. Life is not going well 4 her.

Also. We can always check previous posts if this guy is a donor. Remember translators always mention the name of their sponsors b4 every chapter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  6. clementtng

clementtng Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IMHO translators are not above us. If they are translating the chapters for free, they can do what ever the hell they want, but once they promised goods for cash. They do have the responsibility to translate. The readers gave $1330 just to receive a fuck you? That ain't right man.

7. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds like the kind of person who does things other people tell him/her to do without thinking if those things are right or not... What's there so special to translators? If one drops it, the other is glad to pick it. I, as a reader, simply do my job, that is, read. If they translate it, I read it, otherwise I don't and that's all there is to it... If they want to drop it, they will still do it. If they don't, they don't and I'm sure a person wouldn't do that just because there's this one anonymous person telling the translator to stop or whatever. I respect translators because I enjoy what they translate or because of the quality of their work(like RWX, DB and a few others), but I don't have that kind of respect and thinking, that "they are above us"...

MadHatter and clementtng like this.
  8. coveted

Reading List:
    Link
    As i have said the guy is no donor. If he truly is he can always put a dispute on paypal and get his money back.

What i mean we should be careful to avoid another loss of translation. This happened b4 and barely anyone picks up the work. I dont want 2 lose another reading material.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  9. Green Apple

Reading List:
    Link
    You taking things to seriously about this "free with donations" translation topic. There is a lot of books craving for you to read, writed and printed in your language. There can be not enough water or food, but talking about things to read... You just can check other places. The world don't revolve around english-chinese translations.

MadHatter likes this.
  10. Aszure

Aszure #^#^

Reading List:
    Link
    Women in the internet get defended so easily and fast it's hilarious.
    Not saying what he did is not wrong, but if this Yi Yun guy would have called a male tler a bitch noone would care

SecondRate likes this.
  11. coveted

Reading List:
    Link
    True. But i cannot rest knowing that there's an uncompleted novel that i have once started reading. I like finishing things. It bugs me. Like konjiki moji tsukai dont know what happens nxt.

12. insyder1201

insyder1201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I comment anything that could be vaguely interpreted as offensive to the author/translator I make sure to say that I love reading their stuff, so that they don't get sad and abandon their project. Usually I comment on how things could be better on RRL, but that isn't very useful to do on translations, since the authors wouldn't read it anyway.

Also, flame wars: even if you win them, you realize how stupid the whole conversation was and feel like an idiot.

13. yuan-niisan

yuan-niisan ★【Blank Sect's Dao Protector】☆

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree on you in that 'they are not above us.' But based on what you're saying, you see the translator as nothing more than machines. You think it's easy to replace someone's work? Have you seen the readers of Xian Ni? They go like, 'What's with this translation? So slow!'
    It's not because the TLers are slow, it's because you had finished reading Voidtranslation that you feel their work's the slow one. And to what happened to Otherwordly Evil Monarch. *sigh*

14. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand this, but so far I haven't seen or heard of a translator dropping their project for this kind of reason... most of them have had irl problems or whatever, others had problems with the novel itself, others got poached and so on... Also, the novel you're talking about doesn't seem to be dropped or anything from what they said on their website...
    No. I simply read what I am given. I never said I treat them as machines. I just read as far as they give me, if they want to stop, I won't try to convince them otherwise or anything. It's their life. About Xian Ni, I haven't really read void's translation, I skimmed a bit trough it, what I don't like about it is that they keep translating the further chapters and kinda stopped with the old ones...
    Otherwordly Evil Monarch also didn't have anything to do with the fans, it was the translator that didn't like something about the novel itself.

15. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    My opinion on the whole "debacle" is that everyone is in the right. You have the right to say whatever you want on the internet. It's fine. Notsane telling us all to fuck off is perfectly fine and she had reasons for why she did it. This YY guy is also fine trying to call her out for it and get some sort of answers. And the commenters are perfectly fine for acting in their own interest. This whole debate is damn stupid imo.

gill, Rydes and MadHatter like this.
  16. sumguy

sumguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English might not be your first language, so let me explain the white knight part. It's playing at a fictitious code of knights, it's coined into being known as chivalry. It doesn't literally mean I'm calling you a knight, as that would require certain traditions and nobility involved, the odd of that is terribly low :p

So you had your sexism beat into you, damn :v But situation still stands, you are bothered by women getting mistreated, I'm bothered that you are bothered when you aren't as bothered by men being mistreated as per your words :p

Arcturus likes this.
  17. Green Apple

Reading List:
    Link
    They do have the right to speak whatever they want in the internet, but thats if they dont give a f*ck about other people. There has to be a bottom line of cultural conversation, and if both sides cross the line the conversation can transform in some kind of holy war or pile of insulting comments.

18. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    What I'm saying is that I don't think anyone crossed a line until the commenters came on board and even a decent amount of the commenters I felt didn't cross my "line" either. I guess all of you people get offended really easily.

19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, I'm siding with Notsane here (her actions). Yi Yan mentioned "buying he hand that fed you" which is like completely hypocritical. The translator wasn't in the condition to translate. If she can't stand looking at a screen w/o getting a migraine, she does not need to make an update, IMO.

When notsane was beating down the queue, chugging out 10 chapters on a weekend, everyone cheered for her. Now she has burnt herself out dealing with RL and tl'ing, and some of the same people are gonna bitch about it? Get a f*cking life. Instead of well wishes, they are literally "biting the hand that fed them."

I totally agree with her "fuck yourself" sentiment in that context. I do not put her at fault for anything except feeding the leechers too much. She should have put a limit on the queue. Really it's the fans that inflame drama.

And another thing. The gender of the translator doesn't mean anything. It just comes down to being a decent human being, as opposed to Donald Trump supporters I mean, a mob for mindless drug addicts looking for the next dose of crack.

Translators aren't above people. They are regular people, dealing with the crap we call life. So cut them some slack. Notsane's had been consistent for a long time. She wasn't an a-hole, right? So don't be an a-hole to her.

As for the donations, she's been credible up till what happened recently so why can't you trust her now?

20. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >.>
    Locked.

Arcturus and wolfeinstein24 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.