Tagging Novel Pickup Requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by yuzuki, Nov 10, 2017.

1. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    Note: This isn't a particularly serious suggestion, so it's okay to ignore this entirely!

Sometimes as a translator, I feel like it would be nice if there were a platform that would make... browsing through novel pickup requests easier. I'm only interested in certain genres, and there's wayyyy to may novel pickup requests for me to seriously go through all of them on the forums. Basically it's such a bother/hassle/time-consuming that I don't even bother.

This is sort of like a dream wish-list type thing that I know would never actually happen, but I feel like it would be absolutely amazing if there were a dedicated site/app for organizing novel pickup requests for prospective translators. Almost like an NU for untranslated novels. It would contain searchable sections based on:
    • Upvote/Downvote (or rating) system as an indicator of interest how good the novel is
    • Tags/genres
    • Original language
    • Original Publisher - to exclude Qidian because realistically it's not always an option for translators
    • Number of chapters - useful for prospective translator
    • Ongoing/completed status in original language
    • Estimated word count per chapter - useful for prospective translator
    • Link to spoiler thread/discuss (on NUF there are a lot of BL novel recommendations that consist of spoiler thread + novel pickup thread)
    • Reviews by translators or analogous people who already read it
    I could seeing this being useful in the sense that obviously translators do a lot of their own reading, and occasionally we feel like it'd be nice for a certain novel we stumbled on to be picked up by others, and we're able to give recommendations to other translators in the community. However, for me personally as a translator, I need to know a lot more about a novel in addition to the synopsis to consider whether I'd actually be willing to pick it up.

Another reason why it might be useful is because there are quite a few MTL-ers (or beginner translators) in the community. When you're not good at a language, it can be daunting to even browse the major webnovel sites, and reading comments/reviews in the original language can be extremely slow and painstaking. So for some of us, it's easier to be able to get recommendations and comments in the English as another option for finding new untranslated novels.

Anyways... I know this is a very wild suggestion... but I thought it was appropriate because in a sense I'm almost suggesting that Novel Pickup Requests be moved entirely to a parallel mini-NU clone for untranslated novels............ which is kind of extreme, isn't it?:blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

Yuzu is crazy...... :blobdizzy::blobdizzy::blobdizzy::blobdizzy:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    iampsyx, AliceShiki, readerz and 2 others like this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    While I do think Yuzu-nyan's suggestion is pretty amazing, I can imagine that it is unlikely... orz

Perhaps is there a way to make the pickup requests have 2 prefixes though? So as to at least add the genre of the novel to the title... It's not nearly as useful as this, but I think it would make things easier for people to find a novel they would be interested in translating.

3. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be way easier if everyone actually tagged their threads correctly to make it easier to browse.
    Lysultima's wiki is nice, and there's quite a lot of novel listed in shusheng bar. Nowhere as convenient as what you want, but it's a nice place to start

AliceShiki likes this.