Novel Talentless Beast Knight

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by undefmidi, Jul 20, 2018.

?

Are you enjoying this series?

1. I'm really enjoying it!

2. It's somewhat enjoyable.

3. It's mediocre.

4. Why am I reading this?

5. I don't like this novel.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A story about a boy following a hopeless dream, without any talent and support from his peers. In a fantasy world where majestic creatures and mighty beasts run free, what can this boy accomplish?

[​IMG]
    > Synopsis
    Their heroic feats were nothing short of amazing and inspiring. They smiled in front of gigantic threats and saved countless lives along with their companions.
    Those companions stood beside them pridefully. From titanic draconian creatures to the enthralling fantastic fairies - They were Beasts, creatures with enough power to challenge an entire troop of soldiers.
    These heroic people were the revered Beast Knights, respected all over the territory of Brynfelt.
    And I wanted to become like them, to help those in need, to smile in front of peerless enemies while brandishing an unwavering sword and commanding a powerful and mighty Beast.
    But there’s just one thing that I didn’t mention…
    I have no talent whatsoever!

> Updates every Friday! <
    > If undergoing a hiatus, I'll notify <

> Genre - Fantasy, Romance, Shounen, (Not an Isekai)

> Category - Underdog, Male Protagonist, Talentless Protagonist, Strong Love Interests, Swords and Magic, Nobles - (More will be added as the novel progresses)

You can also read it here!
    https://rtd.moe/original-novels/talentless-beast-knight/

|| Please comment your thoughts/criticism down below! ||

> Table of Contents
    > Arc 1 - Lost <
    Ch. 1 - Scared

Ch. 2 - Tender Glow
    Ch. 3 - Let me help you
    Ch. 4 - Run!
    Ch. 5 - Fire
    Ch. 6 - Nightmare
    Ch. 7 - Hunger and exploration
    Ch. 8 - The library
    Ch. 9 - Hiding
    Ch. 10 - The Beast Knight
    Ch. 11 - Clogged Throat
    Ch. 12 - Loyalty
    Ch. 13 - Home

> Arc 2 - Swing <
    Ch. 1 - Bitter
    Ch. 2 - The Lost Time
    Ch. 3 - Impatience
    Ch. 4 - The Basilisk
    Ch. 5 - Head
    Ch. 6 - Hans Lockhart

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Shafome likes this.
  2. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 1
    Arc 1 – Lost
    Ch. 1 – Scared
    ---
    I adored them.

Their heroic feats were nothing short of amazing and inspiring. They smiled in front of gigantic threats and saved countless lives along with their companions.

Those companions stood beside them pridefully. From titanic draconian creatures to the enthralling fantastic fairies – They were Beasts, creatures with enough power to challenge an entire troop of soldiers.

Those heroic people were the revered Beast Knights, respected all over the territory of Brynfelt.

And I wanted to become like them: to help those in need, to smile in front of peerless enemies while brandishing an unwavering sword and commanding a powerful and mighty Beast.

But it wouldn’t be simple. It never is.

“Look at that loser. Dreaming about the impossible!”

I couldn’t help it. Dreaming is part of humanity, so why am I being bashed for it? What part of me is so different from the rest?

“Pfft! Haven’t you heard? Even after finding out that he was one of the majority without a Crest, he kept on talking back to the doctor!”

Oh yeah… I forgot that I have no Magical Crest, the single most important requirement to become a Beast Knight. How stupid of me.

I sighed.

However, can’t I just keep admiring them? Is it wrong for me to keep doing so?

“Why doesn’t he grow up? Isn’t he tired of being so childish?”

Okay, I get it! But I am a child. A 13-year old one at that.

Clearing away those thoughts with a sigh, I walked through the lively streets, noticing the colorful melting pot of people, ranging from the small, yet strong dwarves, to the diverse demi-humans. Brynfelt was truly a peaceful kingdom for the multi-racial crowd.

The birds chirped peacefully, touching with their bare wings the pristine cerulean sky. The Sun warmly welcomed whoever it saw in a hug whilst I happily smiled at the younger children running around, playing.

Surely, this is a peaceful village. There isn’t much action regarding any of the recent incidents I’ve been mentioned about. It’s not like they are common anyway.

I smiled whilst glancing around.

Again, I love this place. It’s just so peaceful and loving. Surely, nothing could go wrong here – is what I would say if I didn’t know any better. Everyone knows that this phrase is the invitation for trouble.

I won’t risk saying it. Don’t wanna die, thank you.

I took another turn towards my objective. My mom told me to fetch some fresh apples from my grandpa’s house.

I know the way from home to there like I know the numbers of fingers I have on my hands… Was it nine?

I’m joking, I’m joking…

“Oops!” I bumped into someone by accident while taking a turn.

“Be careful of where you’re going, mist- Kyel! It’s nice to see ya!” An old voice reached my ears.

“Grandpa!” I hugged him tightly.

Grandpa was like a second father to me. He often played with me and taught me random things. They weren’t useful, but they sure were fun to learn. I mean, it isn’t every day that you see someone capable of imitating birds.

“Oho~ You’re getting bigger!”

“Yeah! I’ll get twice as big as you when I grow up!” I triumphantly smiled, only to receive an onslaught of hair ruffling from the old man.

“Sure you are!”

After that heartwarming reunion, I told him that I had to pick up those fresh apples that my mother had requested, or rather, demanded me to get. You don’t want to know what my mom looks like when angered. Worse than a certain red-haired woman.

So I decided to survive for another day and comply.

“I have to get some things with my friend so I’ll give ya the keys and you get the succulent stuff.” He tossed me the keys to his house.

“Thanks, grandpa!” And with a salute, my old man left.

After taking turn after turn, and with a smile on my face, I arrived at his house.

It was a small shuttle, albeit one being really cared for. Its wooden parts were solidly placed and, while old, they could live more than what you’d expect.

Sadly, it was only my grandpa that lived there. His wife, my grandma, had died years ago due to a sickness. They said that she had passed away in her sleep… I can only wish for that to be true and hope that she had a peaceful passing.

Shaking my head and those sad reflections away, I grabbed the keys and approached the house.

However, the rustling of the leaves suddenly alarmed me – it wasn’t windy that day. I swiftly looked around, only to find the slightest indication of movement in one of the bushes.

I approached it like any other dumb person would do.

The rustling stopped and so did I. My saliva was stuck in my throat. I was scared to the bone, afraid of what may come.

I mean, it could be just a bunny or a cute little puppy…

Or a 10ft tall lion-like creature with protruding dark horns and blood-red eyes, oozing saliva from its mouth like he saw its food… Oh crap.

Be careful with the recent Beast Onslaughts. A purple-ish, root-like structure would be implanted onto its body and, like a mindless creature, the Beast would kill whatever it found first.

I remembered those words as my eyes wandered to the creature’s body. It had a root-like complex structure on its skin, coming from its back to its head.

And at that moment, I couldn’t cope with my mother’s demand. I had to run away.

With the small strength I could muster, I kicked the ground and ran in the opposite direction to the beast – the forest.

That giant creature’s steps hammered my ears, reminding me that I had to run away from those bloodshot eyes. The leaves crunching below my feet were a sign that I wasn’t inside the village anymore, though I couldn’t do anything about it. That beast blocked my way to the population.

The forest was complex like a maze. The trees weren’t aligned properly like the houses of people or the friendly roads that crossed the village.

Impetuously unpredictable, they made sure that even if I escaped from the beast’s claws, I’d get lost in the immense greenery.

I couldn’t think more about those things as I reached a moon-shaped rock formation. It blocked my way out and put me in a situation in which I couldn’t go through the sides. I desperately searched through those boulders and, sure enough, found a hole in which I could get through.

However, the only problem was the fact that I couldn’t get there without scaling that dangerous wall.

Before I could further plan out my escape, a gruesome roar pierced my ears, stiffening my muscles with pure dread.

In my 13 years of life, I have never felt so much pressure, not even from my mom. It was suffocating – I felt like I was being swallowed by sand and, afterwards, stepped on by a griffin.

But I had to move. I had to take a step in order to live. I couldn’t afford to let my mom, dad, and siblings to mourn my death.

I knew firsthand from my grandma’s passing that it was the worst thing to feel; the world crumbled around you as your own emotions suffocated what remained.

With that newfound drive in mind, I moved. The world felt like it was in slow-motion, and I could only hear the sound of the bumps of my heart against my ribcage.

With a strength that you wouldn’t expect from a 13-year-old, I grabbed the nearest rock and pulled myself up. I could hear the ground shaking with the creature’s steps but I couldn’t let that get over my head.

Rock after rock, I climbed those boulders. My objective was right in front of me – that cave entrance was the key to my survival. I had to move on; move forward.

With one final push, I stood atop a bigger boulder, right in front of that cave entrance. I was ready to escape—

ROARRRRRRRRRRR!!!

That announced the beast’s next step. With one quick thud, it kicked the ground and reached my level. I couldn’t think quickly enough as the beast clawed at my back. I fell forward, onto a hole on the ground that I didn’t see beforehand.

I was scared.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  3. kingicez05

kingicez05 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this going down the same road as the other fantasy novels?

undefmidi likes this.
  4. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't plan on following the usual clichés. I'll do what I can to reward the reader with a good and, hopefully, pleasant journey.

5. Zay

Zay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope it's not the stupid everyone looks down on and doubt the protagonist troupe

6. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 2
    Sorry for the late update!
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, I couldn't update it here...
    ---
    Arc 1 - Lost
    Ch. 2 - Tender Glow
    ---
    I was scared.

The Beast’s claws pierced my back with utmost ease just like it had done multiple times in the past. Something warm oozed out of those recently-made gashes.

But that didn’t matter at the moment. I had neither ground below my feet nor any base to stabilize myself on. I was falling in a hole I hadn’t seen beforehand; that Beast’s attack propelled me forward, unable to hold onto anything. The light from the outside swiftly disappeared as I went down.

I couldn’t scream; my voice was suppressed by the sheer amount of dread I felt. It was dark and it scared me. I wanted my mom’s lullabies to help me ease my heart.

The gusts of wind washed over me and my desires as I kept on falling. I had no way of stopping it. I was powerless.

Those thoughts were swept away as I began to see something at the end of the fall. It was fluid; a liquid – maybe water?

Before I could react, my body was enveloped violently by the pond. It hurt more than most things I’ve ever felt before that Beast’s attack.

All of the oxygen inside my lungs was abruptly replaced by the turbulent water that I’ve submerged myself into. It was like being punched in the gut or even worse… It was truly something unpleasant.

Winning against my pain, I mustered whatever remained of the strength that I had and kicked the water multiple times, trying to swim up. It was a battle between myself and time.

Somehow, I barely won. My head emerged from the water as the sudden presence of air made itself known inside my mind. I inhaled as much air as I could, trying to stabilize my situation.

With that newfound breath, I was able to swim my way back to land. Laying on the hard rock ground, I began to rest. I had no strength after being attacked by that Beast and swimming back to land.

Whilst laying I glanced around. Stalactites and stalagmites protruded the boulders menacingly. The rocky cave I found myself in was neither small nor big.

Around me, I saw some grassy bits. The light source that illuminated me was a mysterious formation of gems. Their shine was akin to the village lamps and they allowed me to see through what could’ve been a penumbra of darkness.

“GWAH!!”

Interrupting my observation, my eyes shot open with the throbbing pain that I hadn’t felt from the enormous effort I’ve done. I had to calm myself down.

If I didn’t treat my wounds as quickly as possible, I’d die from blood loss. I had to move from there, I could hear the sounds of relentless smashing above me.

I knelt on the ground, only to receive another punch from the pain. These lacerations wouldn’t get off… I could only shudder at the thought of my mom getting worried and angry over these future scars.

With one last push of strength, I stood up and began to walk, even if I was almost incapable of doing so. Every part of my body was pulsating with pain.

With shaky legs, I kept on going one step at a time.

“Ugh…”

My eyes were getting heavier with each passing second. The surroundings seemed like they were approaching me but I had a hunch that it was just my head.

There was no way that I had fallen in that pond without getting hurt. Water isn’t something that removes damage from falling. In fact, it may even cause more damage if you fall in the wrong position – or that’s what I’ve heard from my relatives.

I shrugged those remarks away and kept on moving forward.

The trickling down of water droplets reached my ears. It was humid down there.

I kept trying to ponder about small and random things. If I kept myself silent, I’d probably pass out and die. I had to keep myself awake.

I tried humming one of my mom’s songs. It was a sweet lullaby that she sang for me since I was a little baby. She told me several times that it kept her calm when the times were rough.

My voice echoed throughout that cave as I searched for anything I could use to stop the bleeding.

My eyes laid onto a small area, lustered by a soft diamond-blue glow. I shifted my course and, while curious, made my way to that place.

With unstable steps, I saw the source of the glow: a small, shiny pond. It shone a light-blue color and it was enthralling. I had never seen something so mysterious.

I took one step closer.

However, my knees gave up and I fell. My stomach hit the ground, momentarily knocking the breath out of me, and I laid there. I had no strength left. I had no way of continuing.

Whatever that pond was, I still wanted to touch it.

Reaching out with my fingers, I touched it. I felt that the substance was rather dense. However, it felt pleasant to the touch. I wanted to keep touching it.

With that substance in hands, my conscience abruptly slipped away. The last thing I remembered was the sound of silence and the trickling of water.

My body was heavy.

7. Zay

Zay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh no response?

8. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I do understand that the trope is overused in the "mainstream" scheme of things, I do find that it has potential if used correctly; that's what I'll try to do.
    However, I won't just blatantly copy other authors, albeit creating my own style with twists and turns.
    (Sorry for the late response...)

9. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!!!!

10. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 3
    Arc 1 - Lost
    Ch. 3 - Let me help you
    ---
    Splat!

While my sweat trickled down on my cheek, I suddenly arose from my deep slumber. My body, albeit sluggish, could move properly.

For a moment, I was dazed. I couldn't accurately piece together whatever may have happened to me. All I noticed then was the fact that my hand was wet, even though I couldn't find any traces of liquids nearby. I shook the liquid off.

Before I could stand up, my mind was hit with a sudden realization. My memories came back to me so suddenly I had no time to think straight. A headache struck my head.

After calming down, I touched my back with my hands, trying to find out if I was still bleeding from those lacerations. I could feel those wounds on my skin. They stung but I wasn't bleeding...

That was a plus in my book, at least - even though I couldn't figure out the reason how the bleeding stopped.

Unable to remember anything else, I decided to find a way out. I had survived that lion-like Beast, and while it was a miracle, I couldn't rely on luck anymore. I had to walk out of here.

Even if I was a 13 year old kid, I had enough knowledge and common sense. And common sense told me that staying in an unknown cave wasn't something to cherish.

I hurriedly stood up and began to walk. The cave, while intimidating, had a clear path. I could somehow feel like someone's been there before. The rocks were gray and the occasional pieces of dirt were somewhat moist. The humidity of the place was considerably reassuring.

With each step, I noticed more of the terrain. That cave was significantly spacious, adorned with a starry sky-like formation of gems. They mysteriously illuminated the place and allowed me to see a path.

The only way I had was forward or at least until I found a forked path. Two almost identical entrances were seen. Left and right were my choices.

As my dominant hand was the right one... I chose the left path.

I'm not into superstitious stuff. Not like I know my way out of here anyway.

After deciding my path, I breathed in some air and tried to calm myself down.

Recklessness is the path to death. I can't let myself get dominated by this dreadful worry.

Reassuring myself, I continued down my path.

With each step of my shoes against the hard ground, I looked around for any signs of movement, carefully looking around between my blind spots. That did nothing to calm me down...

I was scared shitless. The fact that I was alone in a cave; that I got attacked by a huge Beast - they were unfortunate situations for a child to experience and as such, I was barely keeping my act together.

Even though I had enough strength to keep on going for a some time, my stomach rumbled fiercely.

Damn you lion! I was about to eat those succulent apples!

I tried to lighten myself up with a joke… It didn't do much, but it was worth a shot.

Blowing these things away, I heard some taps on the rocks. I immediately halted and looked around. Behind a boulder, I could notice a small figure hiding.

Instead of running away like any other normal person would do, I approached it. It was sudden, yes, but the whole situation didn't spell danger for me - those small taps were small and desperate; disarrayed and scared.

As my own steps approached the figure, I could see that it was a small Beast. I couldn't, however, make out the details. I could feel its fear seeping out and engulfing me.

It reminds me of… Never mind.

"Hey there? I'm not here to hurt you," I called out in the hopes of calming it down.

In response, the little one jumped from its place. It held onto the rock like his life depended on it... What did I expect?

I kept on approaching, although more slowly. I wanted to help him, to calm him down. I didn't hold any grudges against Beasts or anything - in fact, I thought they were cool and admirable.

Even if I was attacked by that Beast, it didn't mean that all Beasts were like that. I also felt the need to do something. I knew what he was feeling first handedly: complete and utter fear.

Reaching the little boulder, I reassembled my wits and looked over.

The Beast was a little wolf cub. He had a vibrant fire color to him, and his fur seemed really fluffy and pleasant to touch. He was pretty small in size and, while trembling with his little paws, he intently stared at me with his fear-covered ruby eyes.

I had never seen that kind of Beast before and I couldn't help but admire it at that moment.

After a short period of time, I extended my hand towards the little wolf to calm it down, though it was really stupid of me.

As my hand was about to touch his pelt, I felt a burning sensation on my fingers. Paying attention to him, I could see his fur standing up and his surroundings sizzled with heat.

I instantly retracted my hand but didn't leave the place.

Oof… It hurts.

While examining the little cub, my eyes laid on one of his front legs. It was bruised and painted iron-red. It seemed like he got hurt somewhere... or by something.

I couldn't afford to leave him like that. I knew how much it hurt to be alone, in the dark and without any capability of doing something; anything.

I had to comfort the little one. He was quivering and afraid, looking at me like he'd die at any moment.

Again, I mustered all the strength I had at that moment and extended my hands, touching his fur.

It burned. It hurt. I wanted to retract my hand and go away, but I didn't. He must've been scared way more than my hands hurt at that moment. I just knew it.

I lifted him up and he began to resist. He turned and twisted, clawing my hands and burning me but I kept holding on.

Holding a painful scream, I hugged him. His claws ripped my shirt, and his excruciating heat burnt my chest, but I kept the meek cub in my grasp.

"Shh... You'll be fine, I'm here for you," I ruffled his fur gently, trying to soothe that desperate cub. "I know how much it hurts. Being alone isn't something good." I could feel his resistance decreasing and the heat going down. It was working!

After some time, his struggle wore down. I could finally hold him in my arms without getting burnt.

"We'll get out of here... I assure you," I gently passed one of my hands through his fur.

I hope.
    ---
    Thanks for reading!

11. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 4
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 4 – Run!

---

I held the little cub in my hands. His meek little self was pitifully holding onto me, searching for any comfort that he could get.

Holding him was something painful to do. My arms were burnt with the heat that he emanated. The clawing that he did to me wasn't at the level of the lion Beast, but it still made me nearly cry in pain.

However, I kept him in my arms. I would get him out of there – I vowed to myself.

Gathering my wits, I carefully walked through the obscure cavern. The fact that the little wolf was hurt by someone or something put my mind on guard.

I decided to walk a bit faster.

Honestly... Why is all of this happening to me?

I halted and took a look around, searching for anything relevant. After that, I continued on my path to somewhere; anywhere. My mind raced from the lingering dregs of pain and my heart beat faster by the second. Despite that, I kept thinking about my own situation and something that had just came up to my mind.

Why am I not dead from blood loss?

Truly, it was something strange. The fact that I didn't die from those gruesome gashes was something that I couldn't properly grasp. It seemed like my mind had blank slates but I couldn't figure them out. The last thing I remembered after the whole attack was the ominous feeling of weakness.

Those observations suddenly got out of my focus as I noticed something weird. At each step forward, the feeling of being observed intensified. Someone was approaching and observing me… Or it was just another figment of my imagination.

I stopped walking and held the little cub with a tad more strength.

Hurriedly looking around, I sought the source of that weird presence. Shivers ran down my spine as I instinctively glanced behind me. A bulky humanoid creature emerged over me. It was immense, gigantic and terrifying. I was but an ant before it.

Its presence overwhelmed me.

Instead of a normal person's skull, the creature had a Bull's head and two huge, protruding horns. The legs were also like a Bull's: beefy, edgy and strong-looking.

It's a...

"... Minotaur."

GWARRRHHHHHH!!!

My words triggered something in the Beast as it began to kick the ground repeatedly, announcing a furious charge that'd soon follow. The whole place trembled as my whole body was instinctively pierced by a wave of fear.

The little cub in my hands didn’t have it better than me, clutching onto my shirt like his life depended on it - It probably did.

I couldn't do anything but to escape.

The enormous shaking magnified as the Minotaur began to charge in our direction with an overwhelming speed. For something so big, its speed was nothing short of a surprise.

"Sorry!"

With one quick decision, I grasped him strongly, gaining a small yelp from him and jumped to the side, avoiding the Beast's charge. I rapidly shifted my position in the air, putting the little wolf in a safe spot while my back rammed the ground. We slid across the floor, and my pants and shirt were ripped open with the pointy rocks in the way.

Before the Beast could switch directions and come in our direction, I ran with the pup in my hands. Sometimes, I'd hit my feet against a rock, other times I would almost trip down by my own clumsiness - I kept on running, however.

But despite my efforts in surviving, the Minotaur kicked the ground once again and shifted his route. I glanced behind with wide and desperate pupils, only to see those two bloodthirsty red eyes. If I stopped running... We'd die.

His speed was crushing my hopes every second. We could not win. We wouldn't win.

THUD!

I could feel his steps getting louder and louder. His presence was something different than the lion Beast. This one also didn't have those purple root-like structures elongated within its body.

THUDDD!

My ears were pounded by its violent steps. The cub clutched his little paws onto me whilst fidgeting in fear.

THUUUDDDD!

I could feel that the Beast was right behind me, reaching out its hand towards us. At that moment, the little cub I held in my arms yelped with a shaky voice. He desperately called out to something, trying to do whatever he could. He repeated, repeated and repeated, desperately searching for something that I couldn’t grasp.

Time slowed down for me. I shut my eyes instinctively while feeling that the end was near. I wanted to live more, to taste more of the world. I wanted to follow a realistic dream…

Maybe find someone to love? Huh... That was highly unlikely and farfetched, but dreaming isn't bad for the heart.

Interrupting my grieving, two intimidating roars echoed throughout the whole cavern, halting the Minotaur's charge. Seizing the opportunity, I kept on running to the closest boulder, almost tripping on the way. I clutched the small puppy protectively and observed the Beast's steps. My heart was racing more than a wild leashless horse.

What was that?

12. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 5
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 5 – Fire

---

My eyes darted around the rocky room from left to right, seeking for whoever had saved us from the immediate peril of the Minotaur.

The place I found myself in was a gigantic underground dome of rocks. There were multiple entrances here and there, there were stalactites that hung from the ceiling and stalagmites lay scattered around the cave floor; the ground was rough and difficult for walking. Small crystals were scattered across the ceiling like a starry night sky, covering the place with a heap of rippling pastel colors, ranging from pearl-blue to beryl-pink.

In one of the entrances of the dome, I saw two furry creatures; probably wolves. Their fur bobbed from one side to another just like the aggressive flames of a bonfire. Their surroundings sizzled and crackled with the undulations of heat that came from them.

The corner of their jaws hissed, smoke came out from their nostrils and fire came out of their grunt-filled mouths. If I didn’t see whatever was doing all of that, I would definitively say that they would be dragons.

Those eyes were suffocating. I could see them from afar; they were as red as dried blood. My body momentarily stopped right on its tracks, my mind going numb. Those blood-seeking slit orbs were something that I couldn’t shake off at that exact moment. I couldn’t grasp their meaning.

However, like a tidal wave, my mind was struck with a crucial realization. I turned my head to the little cub that I held in my arms.

Now it makes sense!

That recognition made its way into my mind in that fraction of a second. The little wolf was their little baby, who called for help not too long ago!

Against a huge Minotaur, what could these two wolves do? Surely, the big one has more power than the smaller ones. That's the law of nature: the one with more power will trample over the ones without it. The physical difference was just too much.

Those thoughts were suddenly burnt to ashes. Right in front of my own two eyes, I saw something amazing; something mythical. I had never thought that one day I'd see such a beautiful regalia of molten colors; ruby and citrine mixed in a beautiful spiral of red-yellow flames. Those igneous colors painted the cave red to the tallest rock of the ceiling. The suffocating vapor was certainly overwhelming, but I kept on watching. It was something that I, a 13-year-old good-for-nothing, would have never thought to see… I couldn’t remove my eyes off of them; of that spectacle. Albeit scared, I couldn’t help but to feel astonished.

The Minotaur was floored, surprised at the sudden outburst of flames just like I was. Usually, the red color would inflict rage upon male bovine creatures. And that didn’t stray from common knowledge.

But there was just way too much red.

The Beast was getting frenzier by the second. That magma red filled all of the corners of his vision and his body began to profusely sweat. The sole vapor from being near those two wolves was unbearable; I could barely hold on behind all of those rocks, albeit in that somewhat large distance.

And, as much as I liked the prospect of leaving that place, if I did so, the cub’s parents would turn their wrath against me and would eventually kill me. It didn’t matter if I left the little cub there or not, they’d still kill me.

The wolves’ growls clawed my ears as well as every possible living being in that room that wasn’t cauterized by the flames. Their little offspring was being threatened by that lowly Minotaur. They wouldn't let something like that pass.

Tearing into a charge towards the bovine, both of the wolves went in from opposite sides, aiming for the flanks of that monster. I watched them, mystified. The little cub in my hands, with the strength he could muster from being tired, yelped reassuringly. Help had arrived.

The Minotaur couldn't do anything. He was paralyzed.

The wolves, reaching the monster, began to claw and bite him. However, it was all futile. His skin was just too tough. Their fangs were swords trying to pierce a harsh gigantic boulder with sheer strength; it just wouldn’t work.

Noticing that, the wolves backed up and rumbled. Ready, their jaws opened, allowing for a strange globe of energy to form. Small bits of an emberly magma-red light began to spin around it. As the seconds passed, that orb began to violently sizzle and to exude immense heaps of heat.

SKREEEEEEEE!!!!

From those orbs, a spray of magma was shot, dripping on the way to the Minotaur whilst burning everything on its path. Just like a geyser, the magma flew directly onto the bovine. It pierced that rock-hard skin of the Beast with ease. In a final deafening roar of defiance, the Minotaur limped down on the ground lifelessly, causing it to shake with his sheer weight and physical power.

The Wolves won with margin to spare. The Minotaur couldn’t do a thing against that overwhelming powerhouse.

Don’t underestimate your opponent.

I thought whilst looking at the wolves, who leered at me with their suffocating violent eyes. They thought that I was holding the cub captive.

I knew that if I didn't get out of the boulder and gave them the puppy, I'd be as dead as the Minotaur. A heavy lump of saliva roughed down my throat; sweat trickled down my face.

With mushy legs, I walked forward. The little pup was getting more fidgety as the seconds passed. I let go of him gently on the ground, looking at the happy reunion of parent-offspring. But they didn’t fence off at any point.

The adult wolves stepped closer to me menacingly with their knife-fangs pointing at me, growling at the one who held their little puppy during the whole fight. I was their new target – I figured.

Seriously... What’s up with Beasts attacking me?!

I voiced my complaints inwardly, momentarily forgetting about the tense atmosphere.

I had no escape at that time. They were faster than me and stronger than the Minotaur. I’d be overwhelmed in the bat of an eye.

Just as they were about to pounce at me, the little wolf cub approached me and nuzzled and licked my trembling feet. His gentle actions warmed my heart more than the covers I use to sleep at night. I forgot that he clawed and burnt me for a moment, even if I didn’t hold any grudge against him for that. I couldn’t control a smile at that heartwarming moment.

I crouched down slowly, trying not to stir the parents' worry even more and began to gently ruffle his fur; my fingers ran across the soft baby-pelt of the little wolf, fiddling and twisting it gently, just like my mother did to me countless times to calm me down, to make me stop crying.

I gradually felt the temperature of the room return to normal.

At that moment, my heart slowly returned to its normal pace. I could finally rest at ease that the cub had finally found his family.

But what about me?

I wanted to get out of there, to get to my family as well…

I missed my mom’s warmth; the violent hair-ruffling that I received from her was just the tip of the iceberg of memories that floated astray in my mind. I didn’t have much time to think because of all of the situations I found myself in, but I wholeheartedly desired to go back.

The two adult wolves began to walk to one of the entrances in that cavern's room, interrupting my monologue. Before leaving, their slit pupils gazed directly into my soul.

Again, those eyes… I felt like I was underwater; the pressure of being suffocated by something was almost unbearable. They didn’t budge, twitch or move – they stood still, as if leering at the deepest parts of my emotions.

I picked myself up from that abyss.

I could give up on following them and keep going on my own, but that was just plain stupidity.

Following them was the best option that I could take.

I took one step forward.

I could swear I saw a glint of acceptance in those cold, yet warm eyes.

In the deepest parts of my heart, I thanked them for not abandoning me in that dark pit.

---

Please do comment! I'd like to hear what you guys think of this story so far...
    Thanks for reading!
    > Updates every friday <

13. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 6
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 6 – Nightmare

---

This place is nauseating.

The repetition is annoying me.

My stomach won't stop grumbling.

I want to go home...

My head was flooded with thoughts akin to those during the hours of restless walking. It was still uncanny to me how I was able to stay calm after all of the things that happened to me, unnatural even.

The shoes I wore stung my red calluses strongly with every step I took. My knees were mushy as dirt, fatigued. I would fuse myself with the rocky ground below my feet, but I couldn't.

Waves of sweat dampened my clothes, sticking them to my body uncomfortably.

I knew I was fairly weak in comparison to the other kids in my class, but this was surely overkill. I had to take a rest, or I wouldn't be able to take another step forward.

"H-Hey..." I said hoarsely through irregular gasps. "Please... Rest."

The adult wolves stopped and gazed at me. After a good couple of seconds, they sniffed the ground and began to pace towards a dwarf-sized entrance on a wall. If I crouched down I could go through it without any problems. My 13-year-old height sure comes in handy when it needs to, huh? I shook that slightly random remark off of my mind.

Without any choice, I followed them to a rather small leeway of rocks. It had enough space for us to fit and rest, and it seemed safe enough to be unalarmed. Without wasting any more time I plumped down on the rocky floor, not caring about if it hurt or not. My body ached for a good-night(?)'s sleep.

The last thing I saw before dozing off was the wolves nesting together in order to sleep. The little cub was sandwiched between his mother and father, comfortably nuzzling on to the welcoming warmth of his parents.

«—»

"Daddy, daddy!" A child called while bubbling up and down

"What is it, champ?" The father responded happily.

"The Crimson Dragon! He's going to be in the village this entire week. I'm so happy~"

"Oh! You like Beast Knights, Kyel?" He was interested in his son's sudden new enthusiasm.

"Yeah! When I grow up, I wanna become one of them!"

The father answered with a heartfelt smile, content and dazed with the fact that his son began to already show interest in something at the tender age of 7 years old. He was new to this father business, so he wasn't really expecting something like that this early.

"Then, do you wanna see the Crimson Dragon? I'll take ya there!"

"Yay!"

Suddenly, the heartwarming moment between father-son was immediately covered in an infinity of white; a void.

"Dad? Mom? Where am I?" The kid called out with a terror-blue face and mushy legs.

Help…, a grueling voice resounded throughout the empty void, answering him.

"Who said that?"

Help us!, the voice came back but had a tinge of desperation and alarm.

"Please tell me, who said that!"

HELP US!!!, it shrieked, tearing the void as if it was paper.

«—»

"Gah-!"

I woke up from that nightmare. The sweat trickled down on the cold floor as I desperately clutched onto my shirt. My eyes were circles, widened to the max. My usually cool demeanor was flipped upside down; my bones, my skin, my muscles - everything quivered in utter despair.

It has been so long since last I've had that nightmare that I almost forgot that it existed, but I couldn't really forget it; no one would truly forget something like that. No human soul.

The wolves were awake and somewhat wary of my behavior. Their eyes leered at me, but I couldn't really process anything else.

I stood up from the rocky floor and sat on a random boulder while holding the temples of my head, trying to ease up a rising migraine that pierced my head.

My heartbeat was a leashless horse in a vast green field; it was unstable, unrhythmical, savage. To calm me down, nothing could be done. There was no one to comfort me, to make me feel safer.

My mom wasn't here;

My father wasn't here;

My grandpa wasn't here;

There was no one: no friends, no relatives. I felt alone; I was alone.

But a small candle flame warmed me out of the blue.

I felt a tingly, soft and comfortable sensation on my feet as if I was being caressed by a fluffy hug. The little cub nuzzled against me, yelping reassuringly.

With quivery hands, I picked him up and hugged him closely. He kept on comforting me through all of that.

Maybe he's repeating what I did to him? Or something else?

I'm not sure.

But, albeit the circumstances, I am deeply thankful for finding and helping him.

I hope this nightmare can leave me alone. It doesn't matter the mood I am in; calm, sad, happy... Whenever I have that nightmare, I can't help but to curl in a corner and weep.

But one thing reassured me...

I didn't see the whole thing.

14. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 7
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 7 – Hunger and exploration

---

The nightmarish experience died down and my mind became calm. I was barely reassured by the lack of detail of that particular nightmare. Maybe it's because it didn't occur to me in a while? Not that it matters now.

I gazed at the little ball of fluff laying on my lap, peacefully breathing in and out. I was fuzzy and warm from the cub's nuzzling, who kept comforting me for these past minutes. He was a calm bonfire, tenderly heating up my cold, scared heart.

His parents' gaze eased up on me. I wasn't so intimidated by them anymore. Perhaps we built a relationship of trust, even if barely.

Grrrrooooowlll.....

"I'm really hungry..." I was interrupted by my stomach's complaint against my lack of nutrients. I hadn't eaten since I fell in this hole after all.

I looked over to the parents and noted that they were okay - but I‘m sure I wasn't. If we didn't move, I'd die from hunger.

I gently placed the little cub on the ground and woke him up. I couldn't differentiate night from day since we were underground, but I presumed it was already night since we slept at the same time.

After everyone woke up, we continued down our path to somewhere with food.

The cave's walls were getting lighter in color. It was as if there was more dirt in the area. The small bits and parts of the earth were scattered and covered the rocks, giving the room a more rustic feeling.

The usually hard ground looked just a little bit softer and the everlasting array of star-like gems still brightened the room in an array of pastel colors.

It wasn't all that bad, actually.

GROOWWL!

My stomach began to throw a fit just like a child. I couldn't bear the rumbling from my stomach so I began to look even harder for food and water.

I'd searched every nook and cranny of the place, though found nothing but the endless rocks and dirt that covered the cave. However, there was just one spot that I left untouched.

I approached an entrance about an adult's size. My steps were steady and attentive, careful about any possible attack. The wolves didn't make a sound, it was dead-quiet, except the crackling of dirty small rocks and shoes. I examined the place with vigilant eyes.

My nostrils were suddenly invaded by a sickeningly sweet aroma. They were like leashes to my stomach; they made me instinctively walk forward. I recognized that smell!

"Blue apples...!"

Before rushing in, I signaled the wolves to come and help me. I wouldn't go in before them anyway. I was weaker than an ant in comparison to anyone in this cave.

I followed them down the entrance. It wasn't like a simple door; instead, it was a tunnel. We walked over the course of minutes. It was dark and humid in there. Sometimes I'd feel the occasional spider webs clinging to my skin.

What had captivated me, however, was the fact that the entrance had enough space for a human adult. I couldn't help but think that someone had been here before me.

While thinking about those things, we eventually arrived in a room. The gems that lay scattered across the ceiling were different from the ones outside this room. They were brighter and had a smaller color-range. I could even mistake the lightning in the room for daylight. My eyes wandered to the trees... Trees? It was underground, so what kind of tree would be able to grow here? I'm not too keen on botany so I'm not really sure. I shrugged it off.

GROOOOWWWL!!

My eyes widened. That honey-luscious scent of blue apples swayed me astray. The stomach's emptiness only worsened the situation as I desperately began to search the room.

However, whilst walking across the place, my feet got caught up on something and I kissed the floor in the most painful way possible. I could swear that I heard the wolves snickering at me... It hurt, you know? It really did!

Somehow, my hunger wasn’t as intense as before. I guess the shock did take my mind off of it for now.

I kneeled on the ground and rubbed my face, trying to ease the stinging pain of kissing the dirt. I wasn't bleeding but it could've happened.

"... Huh...?"

Looking at the place I've tripped at, I noticed a small piece of wood. It was a plank, used normally in the village as a building material. I crouched closer and grabbed it. It felt really old.

If there was something like this laying randomly on the ground, there should be more of this, right?

Whilst looking around, I noticed details I didn't note when I entered the room: pieces of wood were scattered all across the dirt. They couldn't be natural, so I assumed there was a man-made building in this cave.

I noticed that the room had a curve in one end, just like a crescent moon. I noticed that there were more pieces of wood scattered across the place near that corner, so I walked closer to it.

Upon nearing the place—

"Whoa! A library?!"

15. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 8
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 8 – The library

---

"Whoa! A library!"

I couldn't believe what my eyes were witnessing. A real library in the wilderness; inside an isolated cave in the middle of nowhere.

My eyes kept dancing across the newfound room. The floor was easier to walk on. The previously dangerous formation of rocks became an organized mess of wood and boulders; the curved walls were adorned with a seemingly infinite number of ancient carvings and ornaments.

The library itself was a century old-looking fortress. Since the ceiling was extremely far from me in that cave's room, there was enough space for that building to comfortably extend itself to a two-story size. As my eyes kept looking around, I noticed that the library's structure was covered from top to bottom with cracks and vines. They embraced the building in a layer of nature.

I was intimidated by the sheer amount of history that could be hiding from daylight in that place.

My feet began to subconsciously walk forward. Tip, tap, tip, tap; my steps echoed throughout the room in a steady rhythm. My gaze kept quickly shifting from one place to another as I admired such a feat in architecture.

The wolves kept following me, attentively paying attention to our surroundings. I am still grateful for what they are doing with me. I really am...

Our trotting soon reached to a stop. I was looking directly at the front doors. If I extended my hand just a little bit, I would open the door. Before doing so, I took a deep breath of courage.

The door dragged with protest; it felt like I was pulling a boulder my size and triple my weight. After that small session of exercise, I was finally inside the library.

Nothing really strayed from what I expected. However, there were countless books scattered across the floor in a mess of ripped paper and covers. It was as if a tornado had hit the place and destroyed almost everything.

It was sad, really. I wonder how much knowledge had been destroyed.

But that wasn't what bogged my mind the most. It was the simple and obvious question anyone would ask in this position.

"Why is the library in this place?"

It was an obvious rhetorical question. Who would answer it anyway? I doubt there's someone that knows about this place. I could be wrong though.

I took another deep breath and walked in further. I began to explore the place, picking up the old books that were still somewhat whole and taking a look inside them. What I immediately noticed was the language they were written. They were my language or at least an old variation of it. I could barely understand them.

"Mysteries... Herbology?"

I took one of the books on the ground and read the title. It was confusing and I barely understood it. I couldn't deny I was intrigued by it, even though I'm not really keen with plants.

After putting the book where I found it, I began to do the same with the other books: pick and read, rinse and repeat.

There were countless titles among the readable covers on the ground. Most of them were parts of books where the content was unreadable. I couldn't help but wonder at what happened in this place or why this is a place at all.

GROOOOWWWL!!

My stomach called for help. The reason I was in this cave's room was to find food after all.

"Now, where are those luscious blue apples?"

I stood up. Those apples would be my salvation from hunger. I surely had to go after them if I wanted to survive.

Honestly, I never understood why the blue apples were so different from the rest, even if they were apples. They are basically the same in appearance except for the color, of course.

But the difference was undeniable. The blue apples were extremely sweet and they generally emit an exquisite, honey-like smell. How they acquired those characteristics? I have no idea.

Although I didn't have many chances to put my hands on one of them: they were rarer than your usual red/green apples and their demand with the nobility was extremely high as well. What I did, however, was being near one. During one of my classes, one of my classmates had brought one to school.

Just being near one of those makes you extremely hungry. My situation didn't help in the slightest too.

As I was leaving the library, something caught my attention. On the corner of my eyes, I saw a small glimmer, barely noticeable. It came from a small mound of destroyed books. Something told me that I had to go check it out.

I glanced back at the wolves. For some reason, only their ears made any movement. They were silently attentive.

Taking note of that, I slowed my pace and tried to make the less amount of noise possible.

Pit... Pat... Pit... Pat...

The cave was still, unmoving. Its eyes seemed to loom over me ominously, taking note of every step I took. My sweat trickled down from forehead to ground in a trickle that barely caressed the ears of any living creature two steps closer to me.

I reached the small mound. There was nothing remarkable on the surface so I immediately began to take the barren books off. Piece by piece, I carefully reached my objective: a small book with a velvet cover and golden ornaments on the borders of front and back. I meticulously picked it up and examined it further.

After sliding my eyes across the book, I took note of the cover's details: an old drawing with round curves and sharp edges branching out from the center of the cover.

"A Crest..."

That seemingly messy drawing is most certainly a Crest. That was, by far, the only thing I could take from the book. But even then...

"I'll take it with me."

The book was fairly small. It wasn't thick like the usual schoolbooks so I could easily carry it around. It didn't cost me anything to take it with me. I also couldn't take any book bigger than thi, and that's not even mentioning the low ratio of book/barrens.

After holding it comfortably close to me, I carefully made my way out of the library only to see the wolves growling at the ceiling restlessly.

"Oh not again—!"

16. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 9
    Sorry about the wait, I had to undergo a change of editors, eventually leading the release of this chapter to be posted late.
    ---

Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 9 – Hiding

---

The ceiling rumbled. Something attacked the cave from above.

Somehow, that thing found a way to the cave that covered the library. Maybe tunnels that led to the ceiling existed? I couldn't know that, nor if the layer of pointy rocks and gems would keep us safe.

The wolves growled at the ceiling, only further stressing the situation. My shoulders hunched reflexively.

But in all honesty, why am I always the target? First, a lion Beast attacks me; second, I fall in this horrid, unknown death-trap; and finally, a Minotaur almost kills me!

My body aches, my knees are weak, and my stomach complains. I was so enticed by the library, that my belly had a false feeling of satisfaction. Why didn't I search for the apples when I had the chance? Ugh!

My mind was also frail. The tiredness from my hunger and the sluggishness of bath-less nights finally reached my head. I was mentally defenseless, but planning and survival weren't impossible.

Amidst that, I wavered; even if for a moment, it was just enough to...

Kyel, listen—

Those thoughts...

I shrugged and tried to focus on the situation. I had to step up and accomplish something in order to increase our chances of survival. That thing won't probably take long to destroy the rocks in the ceiling.

I gathered the wolves and went back to the library. Then, I began searching for a safe place to stay.

After a while, we found a rather small ‘U' of bookshelves. They surrounded an archaic dining-sized table and pointy shards of wood were strewn all around the place, occasionally protruding out of the ground with little mounds of dirt and dust plastered on them. I stopped for a moment, letting a drop of sweat to trickle to the floor.

Kyel, Kyel… How naïve are you?

Ugh…

There was no other possibility: I took every piece of wood that I could lift and stacked them to make a barricade at the open side of the 'U'. Maybe if we keep ourselves hidden, that thing won't find us, even if it pierces the ceiling.

I don't want to take unnecessary risks with anything. I prepared an emergency exit: a small passage opposite the barricade, leading to another corridor of bookshelves that led elsewhere.

I finished everything I could in this state in order to protect ourselves. Sure, the wolves helped and were incredibly powerful, but leaving them to fight just felt... wrong. I had this hunch that if they fought, it wouldn't be an equal fight.

Kyel... How long are you putting this ‘cool' act?

GRUUUMMMBLEE!!

The ground trembled with a thunderous sound, interrupting my thoughts. Something crashed onto the floor outside the library. The little cub jumped, trembling. I could hear him whimpering while sticking close to his parents.

A sulfur stench suddenly overwhelmed my nose. I wanted to barf, but I covered my mouth and nose. I had one hand free in case anything happened. My face scrunched up in utter discomfort.

I looked over at the wolves; they were completely unaffected by the sulfur. Probably used to this kind of smell. I envied them at that moment. No living person could remain unaffected.

BAM!!

The floor shook once more, earning a more-frightened yap from the small cub. Whatever it was, it was certainly inching closer.

BAAMMM!!

I kept my attention on the barricade. I had made small cracks when building the makeshift barricade, imperceptible from even a short distance. Looking through one, I had a clear view of the entrance.

A titanic shadow covered the gems' lightning, leaving only the occasional gaps in the ceiling to illuminate us in soft rays of the gems' glow; we were in partial darkness.

There's a colossal Beast outside. I couldn't see it properly, but I felt that my previous hunch was correct. The wolves wouldn't win if they fought against it.

CRASSHHHH!!

The biggest paw I'd ever seen in my entire life crushed the small entrance with utter ease. Debris flew everywhere, destroying the bookshelves and a huge part of the wall and the ceiling. The dust exploded into a cloud that covered everything in the room, including us.

Luckily, the debris didn't destroy our barricade...

But seriously?! I feel--no, I'm certain that if he had destroyed one of the walls closer to us, we wouldn't be alive at this very moment.

The cub probably never felt this much pressure and fear in his short life. His parents' eyes were fixated on the barricade. Unwavering, rigid, still. They were ready to attack and protect their small cub if they needed, even if it meant turning this library into a volcano.

They surely could do it, but would it defeat the Beast that destroyed the entrance with a simple slash?

I shrugged that thought aside and paid attention to the huge mess at the entrance. The dust had almost settled down. Silence engulfed the room.

A gulp of saliva roughly forced its way down my throat. I was afraid of the cub's sudden whining, so I placed a finger on my lips and shushed it, hoping that he would understand the message.

Beasts were thought-capable animals with physical and magical abilities, so this kind of thing would usually work. But the cub was too small, meaning that he wouldn't know the human language or hand signs.

Unfortunately, I was correct.

He continued yelping, and his parents began to nuzzle him with their nose, also trying to silence him...

But it was too late.

BAMMM!!!

BAAMMMM!!!!

BAMMMMMMM!!!!!

I was careless. The Beast came faster than expected, and I was distracted with the cub. Not even the wolves could act as that Beast ripped the barricade to shreds.

We were completely exposed. My mind couldn't follow as the Beast immediately slashed again.

I guess what they say about dying is true... Everything seems one hundred times slower, and small details fill every corner of my mind.

My eyes reflected the knife-sharp claws that cut through the air like a sword. They glistened with the gems' glow, yet they weren't beautiful: it was disconcerting, unnerving. I foresaw blood on them, my own blood. Even if for a moment, I imagined my head, rolling on the ground as the Beast neared the wolves, dismembering them with bloodshot eyes.

Huh... It's the lion Beast that attacked me and made me fall in this hell-pit. How did he reach us? I won't get an answer anyway...

If I had waited before going to grandpa's house, would I stay alive? Would the Beast have attacked the village?

Kyel, why did you save the cub? You knew he'd be a burden.

He... reminded me of myself.

Really... You're pathetic, you know?

Shut up...

I couldn't deny what had happened to me up until this point. It was dreadfully real.

From the tallest strand of hair in my head, to the tip of my toes, I trembled. My calm was already long gone from this place, no matter how many times I smiled and continued on.

Have I accepted death? There's still so much I have to do. So many things I couldn't say, so many things I haven't done...

I have to live.

I have to take one step further... but I can't.

There is nothing for me to do. Absolutely zero possibilities of standing up to that monstrosity.

I wouldn't have some secret power like those of the stories in children's books. Sure, I spent my childhood reading them, and I had fun, but they weren't... realistic.

‘I will die', is the conclusion that took over every nook and cranny of my brain.

Crying wouldn't solve anything, so I just accepted it. It was frustrating. Why couldn't I live in peace? I'm already Crestless, so why should I experience these situations?

It's unfair!

Maybe if I had a Crest I could've... forget it. It's no use crying over spilled milk, especially in this situation.

SKREEEEEE!!!!

A thunderous bang abruptly cut off my thoughts. A mysterious voice echoed throughout the room.

"Found you."

17. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 10
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 10 – The Beast Knight

---

“Found you.”

SKREEEEE!!!

Within mere moments, the lion’s fur sizzled, and the irritating smell of burnt skin pinched my nose. My face contorted with disgust and dread.

BANG!!

“Gweh!!”

An explosion followed, splattering every wall with yellow and orange as if buckets of paint had been thrown at a gray canvas. The charred smell of skin was replaced by the sulphur of parched rocks as I was shoved onto the ground face-first by the shockwaves.

Air was forced out of my body instantly, suffocating me. My lungs desperately clung to the remnants of what little air I had, and searched for more. I was fish out of water.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the wolves carrying their cub to a safer place. I couldn’t blame them for taking care of their defenseless offspring. It was the correct decision.

I mustered every bit of strength I had and looked in front of me. Trails of smoke danced across the room, looking like dragon’s tails. I traced them to their source, eventually coming to an understanding: the lion had crashed into the wall, with debris occasionally falling onto the floor like drops of rain in a storm.

Steps echoed through the room as a figure emerged from the corner of my vision. Nothing but the rhythmic pacing of that person resounded throughout the room.

As he approached the lion, the gems’ lighting illuminated his features one by one. A pitch-black leather cape was covered in stitches, yet it seemed so taken care of. Without seeing his face, I could tell that he fought countless battles with it. Maybe it held some emotional meaning for him?

Shining silver pauldrons protected his shoulders. The streaks of light glimmered against their carved design: a dragon with a wrathful expression and open jaws, about to bite a familiar-looking crest. They seemed as if they were very recently forged.

He wore light armor covered in black, adorned with red in every part of it. They also looked recently forged. A chest-long silver breastplate with the same carvings as the pauldrons protected him from . Hanging from his waist, an empty black scabbard waved back and forth with every step he took.

In one hand, he wielded a broadsword. Its grip was covered in bandages while its pommel and the rectangular crossguard of the sword were coated in silver.

Everything I saw led me to one conclusion...

“A Beast... Knight...”

I unconsciously whispered between heavy breaths.

When he reached reaching the lion, he stopped dead in his tracks. Leering at the Beast with a sharp gaze, he gripped the sword tightly and was about to slice its neck—

WRHHHAAAAA!!!

—But with a deafening roar of defiance, the lion rose from the crater in the wall and without wasting a second, clawed at the knight.

With a single movement from his arm, he deflected the Beast’s impetus: his sword clanged against the rock-hard claws of the lion. The air pressure from the clash fluttered his cape and ruffled his spiked short hair.

His expression was composed and solemn. He had fought in countless battles against titanic Beasts in perilous situations. There was no possibility of him cowering in fear - but how much did he pay for that courage? How many times had he gotten pummeled onto the ground for him to be able to stand so fearlessly in front of such threats now? I couldn’t hope to know.

The Beast began to barrage him with his claws. It was slow, but the strength behind them was so immense that the ground trembled. The sheer amount of impact that he was receiving only increased by the second. He kept effortlessly parrying the attacks with his sword. It looked like he was having a taste of the lion before finishing the fight.

For a moment, I questioned how I managed to escape that thing and how I did not die. A piece of my memory felt amiss like it was stolen from my mind, yet I couldn’t bring into words.

“Strength. It’s all you have.”

His sword clanged against the lion’s claws for the last time. With a lightning-quick parry, he pushed away the foreleg of the Beast and thrust his blade, piercing the stomach of the lion, like a knife cutting bread.

He twisted the sword inside the Beast’s stomach and—

BANG!!

—Sparks burst from his unused hand, and like a volcano erupting, flames shot from his palm. A huge screen of fire covered the lion, spreading from its stomach and touching the ceiling behind it.

Those flames burned brighter than the wolves. They were bluer, purer. If I crawled just a bit closer to them, I knew I’d be instantly turned to ashes. The unbearable hell of flames dampened my body with sweat.

As the knight pulled his sword from the wildfire, the blaze that enveloped the Beast was extinguished at once. There was no lion anymore, just a pile of charcoal lying on the ground.

My mouth lay agape and my eyes were stuck in place. A true Beast Knight had fought right in front of me. His armor was glorious, and the scarred cape he wore fluttered with experience and power.

I faced the very definition of a Beast Knight: Power, honor, and righteousness. Those who protected the Kingdom and its people while brandishing unwavering strength.

The knight suddenly whistled, and from one of the corners of the cave, a scarlet Dragon emerged. His stride was prideful, and his gaze was ancient. One of the strongest Beasts known to men stood by the knight.

He turned to me, and it all clicked.

Hair as black as obsidian and eyes as red as molten lava. Dragons feared him, and nobles sang songs about him. There was only one Beast Knight like that. Someone that had carved his name in history as the strongest of all, and not just in the present, but in the entire history of Ephastos.

“The Crimson Dragon."

---

Sorry for not updating recently. This week has been pretty hectic for me, and my editor was really occupied.

Anyhow, I'm happy I can update this series again!

Also, the schedule will change from now on:

> Updates every Saturday <

18. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 11
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 11 – Clogged throat

---

He had finished the Beast with quick and sharp movements. There was nothing left of it—

only lumps of coal bestrewn on the floor.

My hands clenched small rocks on the ground while I gulped. I had never seen anything as amazing as this up close. I had only heard of the tales of his exploits beforehand.

He swung his sword once more. The blood that stained the blade splattered to the ground, leaving only shimmering steel. With a quick spin of his wrist, he sheathed his sword, resounding with an audible clank throughout the cave.

He stepped closer to the dragon and caressed its scarlet scales. The Beast huffed a small puff of smoke in delight and nuzzled the knight's hand.

"You've done well."

After that warm moment, the knight locked his eyes to mine. Withdrawing his hand from the dragon, he walked up to me.

"Can you stand up?"

"Y-yeah..."

I stood up and slapped my clothes, brushing the dust off of them.

"Ouch, ouch, ouch..."

My body stung. Although the pain was tolerable, the blast's impact still lingered through my body. That explosion was probably the most effective way of separating me and that Beast, so this was inevitable.

"Sorry about that."

"N-no problem."

I can't really wrap my head around the fact that the Crimson Dragon is right in front of me. Not that it's any crazier than falling into a hole and somehow still surviving three attacks from dangerous Beasts... In any case, I shook those remarks away.

Without taking his attention off of me, the knight began to rub his thumb on the pommel of his sword, tracing the carvings. It was probably a habit, so I paid no mind.

"Well, what are you doing in this place? Certainly, you're not here for a stroll." His finger began tapping on the pommel.

I took a deep breath and reorganized my thoughts. I didn't want to waste time with unnecessary details.

"I got attacked by that... heap of coal, then I fell in a hole and eventually got here."

"Hm? Unscathed?"

"I don't really... r-remember. I only feel like my back's been stinging up until now, though it wasn't bothering me as much, so I just ignored it." I fiddled with my fingers.

"I'll take you to a doctor. You need to get checked up..."

He caressed a scar on his chin.

"... Sometimes, the smallest things are the most dangerous, so be aware."

"I-I'll take note of that!"

"Loosen up, I'm not going to eat you... She would, probably."

The dragon bumped her nose on the knight, just like how my younger sister did when I teased her.

"It's a joke. She's the nicest dragon I've met."

The dragon gave a friendly growl to me. Shakily, I smiled and waved.

It was really heartwarming. I could've never guessed that the Crimson Dragon would be so approachable.

"Um... I-I thought the Crimson Dragon would be, y-you know... stern?"

I instantly shut my mouth with my hands and fidgeted. I honestly need to control my curiosity more.

"Sorry, my mouth just ran off on its own--"

"Don't mind it. With this appearance, it'd be difficult not to think like that." He patted his breastplate.

I was about to respond, but small steps echoed through the room in barely audible thuds. The knight instantly turned to the sound's origin.

"Lava Hounds, huh?"

Three familiar figures emerged from one of the room's entrances. The cub and his parents calmly strolled in my direction.

The knight probably felt no hostility coming from them, so he didn't move. Though I could see him gripping the handle of his sword.

"They're fine, don't worry."

"Hm..." He loosened his grip.

"They constantly saved me..." I could finally stutter less, though I still fiddled with my fingers occasionally.

"Mind telling me your story later? Seems interesting so far." He smiled.

"S-Sure!" My voice raised a bit. "Ahem..."

I got a little bit excited. Just a little bit.

The cub reached me and began to nuzzle his head in between my legs. His parents gazed at us calmly from a distance.

"I guess he really likes you, eh?" The knight laughed heartily.

"Really?"

"Lava Hounds have tough shells, but their inside is really sweet. Once you earn their trust, they'll completely open up to you." He stepped closer.

The cub hid from the knight, snuggling behind one of my legs.

"Oops, I guess he doesn't trust me yet."

I smiled at the soft-hearted knight and crouched to play with the cub. My hands gently twirled through his dark-red, fluffy fur.

The atmosphere was surprisingly warm inside that desolate place. The Crimson Dragon really is something else... That reminds me, I haven’t introduced myself yet.

"N-nice to meet you, my name is Kyel." I continued to nervously fiddle with the cub’s fur.

"Same here, my name is Gavyn." He smiled.

«—»

“Was that a library?” The knight took one last glance at the crumbling building.

“Yeah, but it was barely standing.”

“Well, it’s nothing more than scrambles after that Leo King attacked… Nothing I can do about it~”

After that unexpectedly sweet moment with the wolves, I followed Gavyn out of the room, parting ways with what was left of the library. The only thing I kept with me from the place was that small velvet book in my pocket.

Scarlet, his dragon, followed right behind us. Even if they were on an entirely different level, being cautious was essential. They still had to guard me after all.

I parted ways with the wolves so that I could return home with a lighter mind. I wouldn't take the cub back home with me... I'm Crestless anyway, so why would I?

I honestly liked being with the little cub, but would I take him away from his parents in order to live with me, someone that can't even Link with a Beast? That would just be cruel.

Furthermore, if someone tried to separate me and my parents, I wouldn't like it. In fact, I would be furious, so how would it be different for him?

I sighed and stole a glance at the knight.

He strolled along the rocky floor, occasionally gazing at the gems above. His armor softly glimmered with the pastel colors of the walls; his red hair swayed along with his walking, just like it was pure fire.

He was a Beast Knight. Someone that attained the dream I’ve always longed for. He was the exact image of what I’d idealized about my future self, although I could never reach it.

My thoughts were clouded by never-ending questions, things I longed to say but couldn’t. Not even to my own family.

But within those questions, one surfaced. Ever since I’ve found out about my Crestless nature, that one question kept biting my conscience over and over again. The same big question that held the hopes and dreams of kids across Ephastos.

A short, simple question that could change fate. But I already knew the answer to that question.

All the same, I wanted to ask him, who had conquered all and lived the dream that I wished to attain. Surely, he would know what to say to someone like me. He could help me move on.

Yet why couldn't I ask him?

Why was my throat clogging up?

My body refused to respond. Did I resist the acceptance of my own fate, even if it was decided by birth my inability to take the first step?

The door to a new resolution was right in front of me. My chance to move on.

His words were more valuable than a doctor’s, or even my own family’s words. He was living the life I’ve always been dreaming of.

He would give me the same answer that I already knew—and his answer wouldn't be an opinion, it would be a fact. A simple word, or sentence, could convince me to move on. A simple no.

Can I become a Beast Knight?

The words stuck to my throat and refused to move.

I hesitated.

---

Thanks for reading!

> Updates every Saturday <

19. undefmidi

undefmidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Arc 1, Ch. 12
    Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 12 – Loyalty

---

We continued to walk forward in that cave. Gavyn strode in front of me and Scarlet, confidently leading the way to the exit. I would be finally able to see my family after God-knew how long...

I was honestly anxious about talking with one of the most powerful Beast Knights, Crimson Dragon. Though, after talking to him, he began to give off the “cool uncle” atmosphere I didn’t see often. I started to open up to him; it didn’t matter if he was putting on a facade to calm me down.

As we kept walking, my stomach inevitably grumbled, and the hunger I’d suppressed finally protested against the recent neglect. In response, Gavyn kindly gave me a part of his own rations, and my stomach finally left me at peace.

He told me that bringing food when venturing into the wilderness was vital to survival. Due to my recent experience as well as my trust for his professional wisdom, I ultimately took that to heart.

Through hours of what seemed to be an endless array of twists and turns, my legs began to feel like noodles. We decided to take a break. Looking around, Gavyn found a good spot with flat boulders. We sat on them and began to rest.

Sighing, I shifted around to get comfortable. My eyes danced around the underground cave, admiring details I hadn’t noticed before. Caressed in the small cracks on the rock walls, phosphorescent moss flourished. Droplets of water collected on the tip of stalactites on the ceiling, threatening to plop on the floor at any moment.

The walls, albeit stained with brown dirt patches, had a slight purple tinge from the amalgam of colors from the moss and gems. The cave floor had an extraordinary diversity of green to blue wild turf that was anchored in a mixture of rocks and dirt.

I still wondered how Gavyn got here - or how I got here, for that matter. But I couldn’t find a satisfying answer. In this case, I should stop thinking too hard about everything… Though, I’m still incredibly curious how everything could’ve happened together.

Was it planned? Was it a coincidence? I don’t know...

I closed my eyes. With the Crimson Dragon here, I felt at peace now. The tension of trying to hide from unknown Beasts was small, although existent.

Small taps reached my ears, disrupting the silence. I perked my head up and took a look around, finally landing my gaze on one of the corners of the room.

“They’re back, huh?” Gavyn half-smiled.

The wolves had followed us here, though I had little idea as to why. His parents kept observing us from nearby.

The cub walked until he was right in front of me. His steps were certain, in contrast to his past, meek behavior. I kept wondering about what could’ve changed him.

Troubled, I shot a glance at a chuckling Gavyn… Seeing that I could get no hints from him, I crouched and faced the little cub.

He finally reached me and licked my face repeatedly. Without much hesitation, I touched his head, switching between twirling and caressing his ever-so-fluffy fur.

Gavyn approached me after the cub took a step back, leaving my face completely covered in a thick, slimy saliva.

“He found it,” Gavyn said out of the blue.

“Found what?” I didn’t understand.

“His partner.”

“I don’t... get it.”

“You see, lava hounds have one specific behavior that not many Beasts have.”

“Hm?” I turned my head while looking straight at him.

“Basically, some lava hounds leave their parents once they find a suitable partner to have a Link with, though there are not many cases of this happening.”

“A Link, huh...”

I’m crestless, meaning that I have no physical capabilities of linking with a Beast, therefore I cannot use magic under any circumstances.

Actually, it’s not that being crestless is all that uncommon, it’s just looked down upon. I’m weaker than most people that have it, resulting in detestable looks from others.

I kept ruffling the cub’s fur, taking my attention away from those cold, irrefutable facts.

“Also, they are really persistent, so... you can’t really refuse it.”

“Huh?” I abruptly stopped messing with the cub.

It’s not that I’m against it... It’s just that I can’t link with him, so I can’t really see myself as the ‘chosen one’ ...if that’s the right way to put it.

“Hm... You’re hesitating a lot there. Most people would’ve taken him in the bat of an eye. You see, Lava Hounds are quite powerful. So, why is that?” Gavyn grew curious.

“Um... I mean...” I took a deep breath. “I’m crestless.”

Even though everyone knew about it back home, it still rubbed me the wrong way to say it to my lifelong idol.

“Oh yeah! Gavyn, I’ve been curious lately, but why did you come down here?”

I decided not to stay on this subject. I’ve already accepted the fact that I can’t do anything since long ago. I can’t cry over spilled milk anymore, it’s stupid.

But even with that, I couldn’t bring myself to end my dreams, nor could I keep deluding myself with them. They had their place at the back of my head, along with a couple of dear memories - that’s where they should stay.

“I was chasing that Leo King since he caused quite a havoc in the forest.”

“Though, wasn’t he somewhat unusual? A lot of purple lines were encloaking him. I’ve never seen that before, and it looked so bizarre...”

“I wonder about that...” He threw his words in the air.

After that, we were ready to leave. The cub parted ways with his parents, though I couldn’t help but think that he made the wrong decision by choosing me, but did I really have any say in the matter? According to the Beast Knight, I didn’t.

Our way back home was calm. Now and then, Beasts would appear, but Scarlet swiftly took care of them all in quick and small precise blasts of fire.

I held the small watermelon-sized cub in my arms the whole time. He playfully bit me constantly, and I countered him by tapping gently on his nose. He was startled and began to “attack” me more fiercely. Truly a sight to behold...

Upon hours of walking, bright streaks of light hit my eyes. After all of the situations I’d just gone through, I was finally able to step on the fluffy, welcoming dirt.

Overcome by emotion, I threw myself on the ground and began to make “dirt angels”. The little cub followed suit, clumsily playing along.

“I love the earth~”

“You sure do, worm-boy.” Gavyn chuckled heartily at the scene unfolding right before him.

After a couple of minutes, I grew tired of playing with dirt, although the little cub seemed to have the energy and interest to spare.

Standing up, I slapped the dry soil off of me.

I looked over to Gavyn, who kept tenderly caressing Scarlet. Even though he was so occupied as the Crimson Dragon, this peaceful bonding was soothing. He probably wanted a break from the possible—no, the certain amount of stress he had to pull off daily.

I wonder when I began to feel so at ease when talking to him. He’s someone approachable and likable despite his job, so that’s to be expected, I guess.

“Let’s go?” I called out to him after taking a good look at that heartwarming scene of Knight-Beast bonding.

“Yeah. I was about to call you.”

“Don’t lie, you wanted to slack off there, huh?” I smiled smugly.

“Well, at least I didn’t hug the earth passionately like you.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. Touché, Gavyn… Touché.

---

Sorry for the lack of updates these past days, my schedule has been getting tighter (and will be for another week or so).

>Updates every Saturday <

20. Immovable87

Immovable87 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link