LCD Tales of Demons and God

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by JJ, Oct 24, 2015.

1. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    This story is based in an ancient era? That's the first I've heard of it. What does the term not existing have to do with anything? If you like sexism and rape, just say so. There isn't a need to come up with weird excuses to justify it.

Viola likes this.
  2. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What the fuck? What did I do to you to have you escalate this.
    How about you shut the fuck up if you dont want to be civil. I'm more than happy to match your intensity but I'd rather not have mods come here so take a fucking step back.

2. It doesn't matter if it is tagged as modern or not. Doesn't matter if this was a historical novel based in reality or not.

sexist
    adjective UK
    suggesting that the members of one sex are less able, intelligent, etc. than the members of the other sex, or referring to that sex's bodies, behaviour, or feelings in a negative way:

I am saying that even if it wasn't an issue. Even if people didnt give it any importance or thought or even had a definition for it, It still happened. Just because it was in a ancient setting as you two put it doesn't mean the concept doesn't exist and it doesn't happen.

It is you who is seemingly having a lapse in logic.
    I have explained why above. But I will try not to beat this to death. Depends if your new buddy wants to continue use escalating something that never needed to be escalated.

What?
    What are you even trying to say?
    Try again?

3. Zombielord

Zombielord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivation is like mythology for other religions. They were believed to happen long ago. Like at least over a thousand years ago. This isn’t something that happens nowadays. So sexism isn’t a thing that has to be viewed. Like someone said if it were supposed to be modern there would be a tag for it. https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/modern-day/
    And there’s also a rape tag you fuckwad.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/rape/
    So if there was actual rape going on it would be tagged. Rape is basically having sex with someone against their will. That’s not what’s happening here. On the other hand, you people find it okay that women are forbidden from having relationships. That they would be severely punished if they do. That’s okay by God forbid someone forced them to date

4. Zombielord

Reading List:
    Link
    It does matter about the fucking era in which the story is taking place. You can’t gave modern ideals in an ancient period novel and the same vice-versa. And show me the sexism. The Divine Feathers sect is most likely the strongest sect and the Nie Li’s plan to get control over all the sects is being implemented this way.

5. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the argument can be made that the civilizations in TDG are far more advanced than our own in reality.
    They can view the future, toy with fate. Have the ability to destroy on a scale that puts anything we can even think of to shame. Travel to higher realms and different planes of existence. Create isolated dimensions, etc...
    If anything we should be a backward civilization in comparison to theirs. Sure we focus more on the common man and the rise of technology for all but it is indisputable that people in TDG are capable of far more than we are with even our most technological advancements.

Sure there is a lot more to this line of thinking but i just had this thought and felt like throwing it out there.

Someone said if it were suppose to be modern there would be a Tag for it? So? That statement was made to enforce the fact that Sexist isn't a thing unless it is in a time period past the 90's... i assume he meant the 1990's. Which is in and of itself an idiotic statement. Open up a history textbook sometime.
    In a 1 minute google search i found records of specific sexism against women and their battle against it going into the 1940's. A 1 minute surface level search... i could find more going way back but i don't care to. Besides i'm not arguing the feminist points here on sexism. I am arguing that the word and term is applicable to behavior and actions in an "ancient era" as you put it.

Wanna keep acting like a child and cussing at people unprovoked?
    I will call on the mods. This conversation is toeing the line as is if not outright past it.
    Take a step back, chill and let us just have our conversation until one side see's the proverbial light or it becomes clear no one is going to change anyones mind. Cool?

I never said that and i don't recall @jackateonetoo saying that either.
    When you say 'you people find it okay' atleast quote what made you think that. I know i didn't so for me i am going to tell you to not put words in my mouth thank you very much. Jack can set his own side straight.

No it doesn't.
    We can look back with a broader view of things and see problems and issues that we once didn't.
    You can argue that such things didn't matter to people back then. That the thoughts on these topics and the ideals to stop such discriminatory action had not come about yet or even thought about yet. You could argue all that and i might agree with you. I'd have to do more research than I'm willing to do for this shitfest but i could very well agree with that.
    But to argue that the term and concept somehow don't apply or exist back then is just false.

I'm a guy so I'm going to give this example as if i was speaking to a woman but it can apply in either direction.
    If i tell a woman that she cannot work with me in my company because i don't think she is intelligent enough BECAUSE she is a woman... that is sexist. In this example i am not referencing her ability, competence or any objective metric. I'm just saying she is a woman and therefore inferior. Pretty sexist.
    Now if i do this in your ancient era, what changes? To you something changes because it suddenly isn't sexist anymore because it happened 'x' amount of years ago. But nothing as actually changed concerning what has occurred. I say the same thing, have the same motivation for saying it. So it is still sexist. Ancient Era or Modern Era. It is the same exact situation just at a different point in history, a different "Era". It is therefore still sexist.
    Even if the people at the time don't recognize it as such or even care about in any real way... it still is what it is even unrecognized.

If one day say 100 years down the line we expand our knowledge of human behavior and interaction and come to give this new thing we understand a definition, it would still apply to the past (to our time right now). Just because the current us don't have enough of an understanding of it to put our fingers on it and define it doesn't mean we don't do it now. We still do it, it's just in 100 years when we understand it. So we look back and go "Oh ya, they were totally _____ to each other" not something like " Oh ya, they were totally ____ to each other. But they didn't know it so it doesn't apply (or it was too long ago so it doesn't apply).

You are off-track on that. I am not discussing facts in the Novel. I haven't even read the novel to the most current chapter. It turned to crap and would be better off abandoned by the Author at this point. But he has a Manhua to keep up popularity for so that won't happen.

I responded to a specific statement you made which was.
    I wasn't responding to anything specific about the novel. You said the Term sexist isn't a thing in an ancient era. That's what i am responding too.

Discuss whether or not something is sexist in this novel with someone who is masochistic enough to still enjoy reading this. Cause that ain't me and i don't give no shits about TDG anymore aside from the once every couple of months comment here that says the novel is still bad. Which i have a good laugh at cause it used to be so good.

jackateonetoo likes this.
  6. Zombielord

Reading List:
    Link
    They aren’t more advanced in the sense that your thinking. Cultivation is getting the power of the Dao. We have Demi gods and actual myth about people who would religiously cultivate back thousands of years ago. What they cultivate is the same as the power of gods that we know. Simply we in modern society no longer are able to use said power it was ever real. Go and read myth people posting a fucking essay. Also why are you bitching so much about sexism in this novel. Sexism is that one gender is treated differently than the other. This is a difference in sects power levels. DFS is stronger so they can suppress other sects like the HNS. This is politics basically. Though please provide an example of sexism

7. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone should just stop and leave this dead Thread lmao
    And in fact you shouldnt be talking about this here its just a novel thread.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  8. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    You are not responding to anything i am actually saying.
    I told you how they are more advanced and explained how they were more advanced in the ways i was referring to.
    Are you thinking i am thinking something else when i specifically told you to the ways i was referring?
    They are more advanced in the sense that i am thinking. And i told you in what ways.

I at no point referenced or was discussing our mythology. It is not part of my point or my response to you. Read what i said again.
    I don't need to read "myth people posting a fucking essay" (whatever that mess means) because it has nothing to do with my point. Mythology is not in the scope of what i was speaking about. I was speaking about the world in TDG and our current reality with our technology.
    When did i ever make reference to or bring up mythology? I'll answer this for you, i didn't.

I am not bitching about sexism in this novel. That statement is verifiably false.
    I know what sexism is, i gave you the definition Sexist in one of my posts. Just wow.

Wow you obviously didn't read my post fully or perhaps just not carefully enough to actually understand what was being said.
    I am not going to repeat my self, i am going to just Quote what i previously stated. TRY TO READ IT THIS TIME!

I am not going to provide an example of sexism in this novel. This entire discussion is because you stated The Term Sexist isn't a thing because this is based in an ancient era, and i disagreed with that statement.

Get on point and stop trying to veer off it. I am not going to follow you into a political discussion that is going to get all of these posts deleted. I am only arguing that the term or concept is applicable even if what it is being applied to is from an "Ancient Era" as you put it.
    We could be discussing something other than the term Sexist and i would still disagree with the statement.
    This entire thing isn't actually about sexism. It is about the application of a term or concept in what you describe as an Ancient Era. It could reference any interpersonal concept between humans that is more relevant today than it was in the past. I think i have formed my arguments well enough that they would all still apply even if we changed out sexist for something else.

So again, stop trying to make this about something that it isn't. That's not our discussion, it is yours and someone else's.

I don't think an LCD can actually become a dead thread, perhaps only when the novel is completed but even then you aren't suppose to open more than one LCD for a novel so if someone wants to discuss the novel if they are starting it after it is completed the best place to do so on NUF is probably the LCD.

Just awhile ago someone did a re-read of ISSTH and went through it on the LCD. It was good fun.
    Plus TDG is still being translated. If only 1 chapter a month.

This could be a fair point. But it came organically out of a discussion of the novel. So i would argue that as long as it doesn't cross into a political discussion it is okay. Admittedly it is pretty close to that line and I'm trying to keep it away from there but a Mod may see it differently.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  9. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, I don't know if I should be happy or not that this thread is 'alive' again.

Viola likes this.
  10. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

11. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be honest, this one goes over my head.

I've a vague feeling it is meant to be insulting.

Care to enlighten me?

12. kennykdogg

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Zombielord likes this.
  13. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, i thought you were going for something much different because i am clearly not white knighting anyone.

I think you suffer from the same problem Zombielord does.
    That problem is not actually reading what another person says but despite that rush to put your foot in your mouth because you don't think you need to read everything another person says because you just know what they mean and are doing despite being oh so wrong.

Did you read even the last part of my recent post? I would assume not. so i will quote it here for you.

Key in on where i make the statement that we could be discussing something other than Sexist or Sexism.
    And where i go on to say the entire point i am making is irrelevant of Sexist or Sexism, i could be any interpersonal concept between human that is more relevant today than it was in the past.

Stop trying to pander here and get a 'quick one' on me when you didn't even read the discussion properly. Had you, you would have read this and known i am not white knighting any group of people or persons. Or as the term white knighting has commonly come to mean with relation to what you think this is about, "protecting the wahmen".

Even before this i said this.

I responded to someone making a false statement, then went on to say this isn't even what i am discussing. Then explained what i am countering which is not me white knighting. I am not protecting the honor of any maidens. I am showing someone the flaw in their logic and explaining why it is a flaw with the example they gave.

Go back to your hole and try again on someone else.
    Next time i would advise actually reading what they say then apply some critical thinking skills so you don't put your foot this far into your mouth again.

14. kennykdogg

Reading List:
    Link
    i didn't have to read the whole thing because you completely dismiss ancient mythology making your rant pointless. mythology is our ancient era which zomblielord tried to inform you of. you can only judge the novel of that era and not now. what other reason is there for you to be so triggered and ignoring his points if you not protect wahmen.

15. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More than one pages of sexism discussion :blobpopcorn:

16. Zombielord

Reading List:
    Link
    Worst part is there’s no sexism

17. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course. But all these discussion on a TDG forum? Ew.

Let's blame this guy for making this stupidity happen:blobhero:

Edit :
    Also fun fact : Sexism has been used 21 times on this page, which becomes 22 now that I've used it in this sentence.
    Mind you some are quoted.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  18. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's make it clear. I was complaining about a lousy chapter, not starting some whiny campaign against sexism. That was the work of some douche who twisted my words and used moronic logic to try to defend the use of sexism. I don't care about you morons who are getting all bitchy about it's validity or your opinions.

19. SillyScream

SillyScream Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine getting this worked up about a fictional story in a fictional world.

20. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    Well thank you for saying you aren't reading the whole thing and thus responding to my points without an adequate understanding of what my point actually are.

I ignore the mythology discussion because it has nothing to do with the point.
    I was comparing the civilization of TDG with our current Civilization in reality.
    I'm not interested in defaulting that mythology happened or entertaining the fact that it did.
    Let me ask you if I went down that rabbit hole, which mythology do I use. The Chinese one? The Greek one? What about the Egyptian one? Perhaps I use the Native one? What about Irish Mythology?
    Which creation story should I use? There are so many.

This is why I didnt jump into that rabbit hole with no end that would very easily turn into a religious discussion.

I ignored the point (even though I did address it) because it was an attempt to veer the discussion into an area that had nothing to do with the point I was making and would have likely gone into territory that is specifically not allowed on the forum.

My actual views on feminism and sexism would surprise you since you are making this incorrect assessment of my point which you've admitted to not needing to read.

I am not protecting the wahman. But you dont read what I say and dont care for my clarifications so you will continue to think what you think despite it being incorrect. Just something you deal with when you like to debate on a forum and people are more interested in taking you out of context than honestly looking at what you are saying.

Again. Your foot is so far into your mouth.

Never what I claimed despite you trying to attribute that to me more than once.

Welcome to a forum where people are able to get called out for using poor logic.

Besides. I find debates fun, anyone who doesn't can not engage.

Zombirlord has not responded to many points I made despite Kenny trying to attribute that to me. Now he doesn't respond at all to me. Just likes posts that are provably false.

He disengaged which is fine.