Question Talisman Emperor (Typical xianxia worldbuilding)?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by ShadowkingMS, Jul 27, 2018.

1. ShadowkingMS

ShadowkingMS [Sheng gi’s Servant][Main Character Failure]

Reading List:
    Link
    As with most XianXia novels, the MC starts in one of the weakest cities in the weakest area of the dynasty he’s in (I’m only on Ch296). I’m fine with that, but I just want to ask if this is going to turn into something where the dynasty is the weakest in the realm and then the realm they’re in has been on decline for thousands of years and is in danger because they’re weak as F&!$ or something else like that. Since I’ve read 20-25 xianxia novels I'm used to the plot devices used to push the stories forward, but this is one of my least favourite and I was just wondering if it will be overused before I continue reading.

2. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Well their dynasty is an "ordinary" dynasty, but I'm pretty sure it becomes a bit less of "our realm is the lowest realm" later on in the story. Should be about on the level of Desolate Era where their realm has some unique qualities.

3. Quillink

Quillink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's based on it, however unlike a lot of novels, it's not drawn out as much and the MC will kill several people over the space of a couple of chapters. It proceeds at quite a breakneck pace in comparison to other novels. The fights are quick and usual brutal.

If there's a big annoyance about the story, so far, he doesn't really use his talent in Talismans. Pretty much just a couple fights out the various few.

The place where he's from is the lower rungs, but it isn't a place on the last dregs of humanities fallen empires

4. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the things to keep in mind is that the series was from 2009, well before a lot of the stuff that's already been translated, for reference Coiling Dragon was 2008. A lot of stuff in Talisman Emperor is now overused because it's everywhere, but at the time it wasn't.

I've said elsewhere, it would be cool if there was kind of a timeline of when the various big series came out so we could see their impact on other authors. Most of us consider things like Stellar Transformations to be very original since it was the first translated and was written in 2007, but I don't know if it was IET's take on something else published by another author in 2005? And so on.

Btw, the author's title was originally messed up, it wasn't meant as Talisman. It was a character that was misread as that and since his first couple chapters has Talismans it was understandable. It wasn't until reader demand a hundred chapters in that he switched to that interpretation of the character and changed his planned storyline.

ShadowkingMS likes this.
  5. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel is really good, Chen xi has powerful parents and join the strongest sect in the universe. At least not many mc join the strongest sect in the universe.

The things I love about these, his senior brothers and sisters help him since mc so weak.

And only few people know about MC sect because his sect are so mysterious and powerful

6. Anna7

Anna7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think every novel has its development pace. As an early work of Xiao Jinyu, this one is a little inferior to his new work Battling Records of the Chosen One, I think you will find this one better to meet your needs.

7. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll say, treat it like instant noodles. Or instant ramen, wherever you're from. I'm talking the likes of Nissin, Maggi, Indomie, Ibumie, etc. They're essentially, fast-food noodles. However, each company (or in this case, the authors) will put their flavour / spin on it.

Sometimes you get fed up with the chicken flavoured ones, so you end up going with the prawn flavoured ones. Or this, or that.
    That's how I see the YY scene.

8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the correct title of the novel is tournament emperor.

he starts out in the weakest corner of the weakest street of the weakest restaurant of the weakest sect of the weakest empire of the weakest planet of the weakest realm of the weakest plane

there is nothing special except that his mother was from the 2nd weakest planet and had the inheritance of the strongest talisman maker

9. Yanku

Yanku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how many chapters has battling records of the chosen one?

10. Anna7

Anna7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2000+ chapters for the raw...